Nightwish
Dark Passion Play

by Callum Thomson USER (6 Reviews)
October 2nd, 2007 | 3 replies | 2,994 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With entrance of Anette Olzon, The album plays out very very nicely

Dark Passion Play is a hit or a miss for most Nightwish and non-Nightwish fans. As for me, it is a hit.
High expectations were set out for this album due to the fact that its the first with Anette Olzon and without former vocalist Tarja.

The album has a huge production and cost around 500,00 Euros to complete. Making it the most expensive finnish Album yet.
It starts off nicely in a progressive nature with "The Poet and The Pendulum" which is a little disappointing as an opener in my opinion after hearing what "Once" had with the great entrance of "Dark Chest Of Wonders". This doesn't make it a terrible track though, as the orchestra's potential is brought out to its fullest here.
We all discover that Nightwish still has a grudge on the former vocalist with such tracks as "Bye Bye Beautiful" and "Master Passion Greed" Sadly, I dont think these songs can cut it live because of the neutral decisions of fans and press alike. The choir chosen for this album makes Dark Passion Play a complete score more than an average album.

Marco finally gets to star in this album more. His track "The Islander" has a folk tale aspect which makes the album fit for a king. Nightwish had not conducted an instrumental since "Moondance" therefore "Last of the wilds" makes you want to listen again and again due to its Celtic styles.

Anettes vocals make a large change on the album and although I hate to admit it, I prefer the new Nightwish compared to the old. Anette isnt very operatic which makes you wonder how the old tracks will work, and after browsing through youtube its up to you to make your mind up

The album has the most powerful ending that any Nightwish album has to offer with the track "Meadows of Heaven" featuring gospel vocals and a complete potential of orchestra. Although, matched with Anette, the gospel doesnt seem to suit her voice when she is singing too.

Overall, Dark Passion Play is a great passion to my ears, and my favourite album so far

Millencolin Home From HomeNikola Sarcevic Roll Roll And Flee
Nightwish End Of An EraForever Slave Alice's Inferno
Nightwish Highest Hopes

Willie
October 2nd 2007

You're going to want to ask the mods to attach this to the "Dark Passion Play" album that already exists on this site.

Also, it might be turned into a soundoff anyway cause it's so short and lacking... maybe not though, it's just a guess

October 2nd 2007

Yeah you need to add a paragraph or two to this.

Det_Nosnip
October 3rd 2007

Wow...I disagree with this almost entirely. Poet and the Pendulum is like the only decent song on there...I definitetly didn't want to listen to "Last of the Wilds" more than once. :lol: Oh well, to each his own, I suppose.This Message Edited On 10.03.07