Boredoms
Vision Creation Newsun

by Chris Jackson USER (177 Reviews)
September 20th, 2007 | 27 replies | 14,149 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Awesome psychedelic/trance/noise music.

Back in the early 1980's when Boredoms originally formed they were often categorized as a psychotic avant-garde/noise-rock trio. Known for their violent no-wave influences and chaotic live performances Boredoms quickly made a name for themselves. By the mid 90's the foursome found themselves touring with acclaimed groups such as Sonic Youth and Nirvana garnering even more popularity among the indie/noise rock crew. Although the band was extremely successful during the late 80'smid 90's Vision Creation Newsun is their most highly regarded album to date.

Vision Creation Newsun is a notable and obvious change from the groups earlier efforts. Instead of relentlessly thrashing away at their instruments Boredoms incorporate hypnotizing percussion instruments, bright synthesizer effects, and catchy looped guitar hooks. The biggest influence out of all of these would have to be the tribal-esque percussion, the drumming single handedly creates an earthy and psychedelic atmosphere. On top of the drumming Yamataka Eye’s swirling, cosmic keyboard touches give the whole album a lush and organic feel. O.G. Hayashi is the man responsible for the vibrant production, the keyboards and guitars perfectly blend together with the trance inspiring percussion creating a unique vortex of sounds.

With the exception of the thirteen minute album opener every song on Vision Creation Newsun is six to seven minutes long. Tracks such as (Omega) and (Star) show off the groups noise-rock influences blasting strange sound effects out of multiple keyboards while (Heart) and (Tilde) are propelled by soothing percussion and upbeat electronics. Boredoms obviously have a lot of range, songs go from laid-back and relaxing too noisy and boisterous. Lead vocalist Yamataka Eye’s chanting and yelping in the middle of tracks also adds to the tribal ridden chaos. While Boredoms come up with a ton of bizarre soundscapes and tribal melodies Vision Creation Newsun is still a very accessible album that can be listened too at any time.

Although Boredoms may be known for their earlier demented noise-rock sound Vision Creation Newsun is quite upbeat and cheery. The variety of synthesized sounds keeps the album from being monotonous yet it still remains cohesive (unlike a handful of other Boredoms releases).When it’s all said and done Vision Creation Newsun successfully combines African American tribal music with warped electronics and funky guitar hooks; it’s easily one of the most effortlessly impressive albums that I’ve ever heard.

The Dead C Secret EarthJohn Coltrane Lush Life
Crystal Castles Crystal CastlesUlaan Khol I
Four Tet RingerHarmonia Musik von Harmonia
DynamiteKyle (4.5)
...should come as a delight to anyone searching for something different. It's loud, quiet, fast, slo...

Super Ae

Pop Tatari

Super Roots 5
recommended by reviewer
Boredoms Super Ae

MeowMeow
September 20th 2007

Good review. This is my favorite Boredoms album.

Iluvatar
September 20th 2007

This is the best Boredoms album I have. Nice review but maybe you should write a headline just so it looks nicer on the front page.

ValiumMan
September 21st 2007

OK review. This is like the ultimate "bright, sunny morning" album. It actually IS morning where I live now, and it's bright and sunny. Guess what I'm gonna put on now...

Apocalyptic Raids
September 21st 2007

The only Boredoms I've got is Super æ, I'll probably check this out sometime.

I really want this.

MeowMeow

how do they compare?

I prefer this one, but I find Super Ae to get boring sometimes, whereas I enjoy this album through and through.This Message Edited On 09.21.07

samariah
September 21st 2007

this is my fav boredoms album too

ValiumMan
September 22nd 2007

how do they compare?

Super Ae is more drones and those huge power power chords. This is more percussion-centric (it's got like three drummers or something) and a lot faster moving. Also, the melodies are quirkier and catchier.

any14doomsday
December 6th 2007

I prefer Super AE to this almost hands down. Most of the time I cant sit through this whole thing.

Good review.

January 20th 2011

still a beauty

AtavanHalen
January 20th 2011

THE best band I saw live in 2010. Hands down.

Jips
September 6th 2011

This shit is pretty awesome...

foxblood
November 2nd 2011

this album is so fascinating. it has one of my favorite album covers too.

November 2nd 2011