Nonpoint
Recoil

by Frederick Metzengerstein USER (202 Reviews)
September 19th, 2007 | 35 replies | 30,288 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hard hitting, latin influenced hard rock that will rock your socks hard.

Now Nonpoint really hasn't gained as much popularity as they should have, other than their home state. In South Florida, Nonpoint are a very popular band with many supportive fans rocking out to their high octane performances, including me as one of them. Nonpoint are a very good live band, playing their instrument's as well as on studio and keeping the crowd on edge with their high tempo rock. The band have released 6 albums over a 10 year period. Still this band doesn't receive much love from the northern states. I think it’s about time the northerners give credit to the south.

Elias Soriano – Vocals

Andrew Goldman – Guitar

Kenneth "KB" Charman – Bass

Robb Rivera – Drums

Nonpoint have been playing music together since early 1997 after forming in Ft Lauderdale, and have retained the same lineup for 10 years amazingly enough, showing their determination and will to succeed. They dropped their first major label debut in October 2000. "Statement" showed much potential in their debut, playing a more primitive version of their newer stuff. Playing a blend of metal, Latin, and punk, Nonpoint have become a musical freight train with every instrument hitting you immediately. What Nonpoint have excelled at is adding parts of their Latin heritage into their energy ridden style of heavy music, creating a diverse sound of their own, never copying bands like Ill Nino. The production of the album was the only downfall to a promising disk. Nonpoint have continually strived harder on their music to revamp their sound until hitting the spot with the brilliant "Recoil. To be honest, this was one of the first CD's I ever bought and inspired me to stop illegally downloading all the band's I listened to, and actually support the musicians.

Now I’m sure everyone has heard their cover of Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight" played in movies, TV, or the 2004 World Series. Like it or not that song has catapulted them into more mainstream capabilities, as radio stations have began playing their music at that time. Nonpoint's fourth full length album "Recoil" is their most solid and complete cd to date. Containing hard hitting guitars providing the base of the music, solid drumming, and a strong vocal performance from Elias Soriano cement this album as their most aggressive and diverse CD they created. Nonpoint blend the South Florida Latin influences exceptionally well into their music, although not completely overpowering the rest of the instrumentation.

Recoil is a melting pot of all their last releases. The guitar riffs have become faster and much harder than previous release's, thanks to Andrew Goldman's energetic performance, spiking the energy level of the album greatly to an 11 out of 10. Robb's drumming has improved greatly and sound's more focused and determined then the latter albums, adding urgency to the music, which can be heard instantly upon first listen. Robb’s percussion throughout is mind bending as he continues to hold down his end of the bargain up with his contributions to the music. Bass is occasionally heard, and when KB is heard , it is a remarkable thing to hear.

Elias's vocal performance is strong and varied as his powerful voice marches through the music, shattering eardrums in the process. Throughout the music, Elias balances his forceful yells with soft whispers perfectly, almost forgetting what to expect when he begins yelling between the English and Spanish language’s at a neck breaking speed that will have rabid dogs slow down immediately. Lyrically, he speaks about many things, ranging from lost love, toward more political leanings, as the excellent head banger " The Truth" demonstrates, as Elias expresses his frustrations of what the government is trying to pull over modern society. Heavy groove's, fast drumming, strong lyrics, and catchy vocals make this a standout of the album. "In The Air Tonight" is well played by the boys of Nonpoint, adding a modern aggressive edge to a classic song. Enlightening lyrics, powerful instrumentation, tight vocals, and a punk rock attitude set this band miles ahead of their nu metal buddies. "Past It All" delves into the CD as the emotional song of Recoil. Although very somber and lyrically about lost love, the vocals never hit the whiny vocal tone that so many bands do today.

All in all, an excellent album that keeps impressing me each and every time. Fans of aggressive music should find no problem enjoying this CD. Godspeed.

Pro's: Hard-hitting and accessible

The Latin influence adds great diversity throughout the disk.

Strong lyrics and songwriting.

Con's: Some might not enjoy the vocal style, as the nu metal influence still tends to appear with the rapping vocals.

So Hideous Last Poem/First Light13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the Worm
Theophany Time's End: Majora's Mask RemixedAt Dawn They Sleep Red Sun
Black Magick SS PanzerwitchMadonna True Blue

Willie
September 19th 2007

It was an ok review... the first paragraph seemed a little awkward. I've never heard these guys, but the review doesn't help me to really figure out what they sound like because all of the description comes in comparisons to their older albums. As far as the latin thing making them more unique... isn't that what Il Nino does?

Anyway... that's all ;)

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

September 19th 2007

Nonpoint does the latin thing better. As for the Northern States thing, Nonpoint actually gets a lot of props in Madison, and they've played here probably 5 or 6 times in the last 2 years.

The review was pretty good, although I disagree with your opinion. I'm yet to here anything off of Development besides the singles, but I think this is their weakest release (Live and Kicking included). The cover of In The Air Tonight is great tho.

September 19th 2007

The metal parts where I've been dont like nonpoint that much. I think this is their strongest cd with tracks like the truth, past it all, and in the air tonight surpassing their other cds.

Kage
September 19th 2007

Your liability as a reviewer is severely hampered when you talk about how you have some sort of allegiance to this lousy band just because you're from the same state as them.

September 19th 2007

Well I would hardly call these guys lousy. But it would be better for your review if you downplayed the local bias a bit.
Also, I don't think that the Latin influence is as prominent as you make it seem, which could be a little misleading. Still a pretty decent review, those are just some suggestions.

Kage

Latin influence LOL

Shattered_Future
September 19th 2007

I've definately heard stuff by Nonpoint before, and there was no way in HELL there was Latin influence. At least, not at the level you're talking about.

September 19th 2007

Ive seen them live twice and yes alot of the lyrics and the rthymn of the music is kinda latin based. Also I got free gear from them personally when my brother was in the studio with the drummer. South Florida has quite the overwhelming population of latin people there, and heavily influenced in the music.

Crysis
September 19th 2007

Great review, got my vote. I really like this album actually, "The Truth" is an awesome song.

Digging: Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens

September 19th 2007

Thats just dumb to be honest. Thats like saying Ill Nino has REAL latin influence.
lol jk ill nino was awesome!

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

Jom
September 19th 2007

South Florida has quite the overwhelming population of latin people there

While this is very true, not every South Floridian band has a Latin-themed vibe to their music, or in the case of Nonpoint, it's not as strong as you seem to claim in your review. That's just my opinion, but somebody brought up Ill Nino earlier, and they do a much better job at emanating any kind of Latin vibe because they have two percussionists, one of which specifically uses those types of instruments, whereas the other guy is on a kit. Good review, though, aside from my personal point of contention.

September 19th 2007

Yeah but the thing is that Il Nino was still pretty bad.
Being from South Florida, I've heard all the really bad nu-metal bands from around here, especially the ones that claim to be different. These guys, One, and even Il Nino are all just really bad. At least Il Nino had some good songs back in the day, though.

Wizard
September 19th 2007

Not a bad review, just some awkward wording and factual info. Statement was the only album I owned by these guys. I will check this out one day!

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

September 19th 2007

Yeah I guess ill go tone down the local bias a bit and latin influence a bit.

September 19th 2007

Oh yeah, Iluvtar, Have you heard of a hard rock band called Encidius? If not their drummer is friggin 13 and going to the studio in 08. My bro's the guitarist, and I always see a good crowd turn up.

September 19th 2007

The latin thing is really only prominent on the songs that are specifically aimed at showing their heritage (Puerto Rico, I believe).

Wizard - This is a fair amount different than Statement. It's "heavier", but not neccessarily more aggressive. I think Statement is a fair amount better.

September 19th 2007

Balls: No I havent been paying attention to the local scene for liek a year because tbh its a bunch of dorks playing Circa Survive/Dashboard ripoffs and really bad metal. Like really really bad metal.

September 19th 2007

Yeah I agree with that. I guess I could classify encidius's music as hard rock/alternative, much better than some of the horrid bands. Simple Kill(shudder).

September 19th 2007

Oh my god is Simple Kill still around? I remember hearing about them like 4 or 5 years ago and they were the biggest bunch of faggot metalheads around. I had like five friends on their street team :shudder:.

September 19th 2007

You know i enjoyed one of their first demos years back. But when I saw them live I immediately threw the disk away. Oh man, they just played a charity show with about 6 local bands and man they were gay. A bunch of fruits I might add,just horrible live musically and image wise. I might write a review about their demos.