Coalesce
Functioning on Impatience

by Cheyne Bush USER (2 Reviews)
September 15th, 2007 | 17 replies

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Easily [Coalesce's] most cohesive and powerful release.

Let's face it: some "metal/hardcore" bands these days are weak. Bands release full-length hour-long albums of...well...weak melodic emo-influenced metal.

This band does, in 20 minutes, what most bands can't do in an hour: beat you to ***ing death. Aurally, that is.

The overall feel of the record is just mindblowing. There are times when you bang your head so hard that it's surprising you don't get a concussion. There are times when the riffing absolutely intrigues you, leaving no time to headbang, but rather to scratch your head and say "What the hell is going on?" And there are still times when the band's sound takes your body and tosses it around shamelessly like a pitbull to a ragdoll.

The screams are bloody screams of...well, not so much pain...rather, absolute fury. "What more do you want from me?/Some sort of apology?/Well, I promise that/Forgiveness is the most you'll get" ("You Can't Kill Us All") is a warning about what is about to come. The guitars, bass and drums come in too soon for you to get out while you can. When they come in, a pipe bomb explodes in your stereo and you are in the blast radius.

Every track is chock full of odd times, headbanging breakdowns, and scary heaviness - qualities which seem to be staple in every new "hardcore" release. This band was one of the first, and best, bands to pioneer that style. Easily their most cohesive and powerful release. For some, this 20-minute beating may be all that can be handled of the raw power and destructive abrasion of Coalesce's sound. Enjoy at your own risk.

fsharp (4)
One of the angriest albums on planet Earth...

September 15th 2007

I dont know if i like this more than 0:12 but Coalesce dont nearly get the respect they deserve

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

br3ad_man
September 15th 2007

Good album.

faultandfracture
September 19th 2007

don't get me wrong, i love 0:12. but i feel like this ep packs a mightier punch.

ReDIcE
December 20th 2007

Hey not a bad review. Though it's a bit short, it's condensed. I'm gonna have to check this out sometime.

1902 Comments

What a fantastic album, between a 4 and 4.5 for this. I love the production on this record, it just sounds sooo good.

yeah coalesce fucking rules

1902 Comments

yes they fucking do. whats your favourite album by them chan?

August 19th 2008

tie between this and 0:12 although give them rope isn't far behind either of them

they all rule ugh, even the zeppelin cover album

1902 Comments

I'll be damned, I haven't heard the zeppelin cover album. Yeah, I'd say between this and 0:12.

October 4th 2008

I used to think 0:12 was better but I end up listening to this a lot more so it wins. Its pretty damn close though.

Coalesce's cover of "Out On The Tiles" is nuts.

McP3000
December 15th 2008

this was pretty good, but a song or two short

and i think 0:12 is better anyway

November 6th 2009

What more do you want from me? Some sort of apology? Well I promise that forgiveness is the most you'll get. And what I demand of you is to put up or shut up. So make your decision, but remember - you can't kill us all.

accompliceofmydeath
November 6th 2009

dun nah. nah nuh.

Digging: The Swarm - Parasitic Skies

Inveigh
January 12th 2010

mm...tasty Coalesce.. all I have is 0:12 I need to get the rest of their stuff ASAP

JAV
May 13th 2010

1938 Comments

But remember, YOU CAN'T KILL US ALL!

TRMshadow
June 20th 2010

Would you recommend THIS or 0:12 Revolution for a starter Coalesce album?

TRMshadow