Bob Dylan
Nashville Skyline

by Hey Mr. Light Man USER (11 Reviews)
January 16th, 2005 | 16 replies | 8,454 views

Release Date: 1969 | Tracklist

This album was released in 1969, a time when Dylan was trying hard to shed the claims that he was "the voice of his generation". On this album, he takes on a country feel and a soft, crooning singing voice. This album also launched one major Dylan hit with "Lay, Lady Lay", and saw Dylan doing a duet with the legendary Johnny Cash on "Girl From The North Country" (originally off of Freewhellin').

1. Girl From The North Country (w/Johnny Cash) - Instead of having the folk feel it did on The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Dylan makes this song into a country song on this album. Dylan's crooning vocals go very well with this version of the song, though the real highlight is Johnny Cash's guest vocal appearance. 5/5

2. Nashville Skyline Rag - The is a nice instrumental country/ragtime shuffle. It's very traditional, having attributes such as a steel guitar and a little half-minute harmonica part at the beginning. The best part of the song is the ending piano. 5/5

3. To Be Alone With You - This is a blues-rock number with catchy and simple lyrics. This song is known well for Dylan saying,"Is it rolling, Bob?" to producer Bob Johnston before the track fully kicks in. It's speedy and punchy, to say it simply. 5/5

4. I Threw It All Away - I consider this song a folk/country-rock classic. I very rarely hear any other song quite like this. These lyrics are classic Dylan, this vocal is one of his most emotional, and the instrumentation fits perfectly. 5/5

5. Peggy Day - This song is sort of a hybrid of country and blues-rock. The lyrics are very much like those of "To Be Alone With You", and same with the song. It's a good times song. 5/5

6. Lay Lady Lay - Being one of Dylan's all time most famous songs, it is also one of his best. The lyrics are absolutely beautiful, and I'm sure listening to an instrumental version of it would also have an effect on me. Indisputably a 5/5

7. One More Night - Like "Peggy Day" and "To Be Alone With You", this is another jumpy, catchy song. And like most other songs on this album, it is hard to give it anything lower than a 5/5.

8. Tell Me That It Isn't True - This is truly the best song on this album. It is more emotional than "I Threw It All Away" and better musically than "Lay Lady Lay". The piano at the end is one of the most fitting instrumentations I have ever heard in a song. Again, a 5/5.

9. Country Pie - "Country Pie" is a fun, fast bluesy country-rock song, about ....what else.... country pie. Short and sweet, like eating a piece. 5/5

10. Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You - Although "Tell Me That It Isn't True" is the best song on this album, this has by far the most wooing lyrics. It's an extremely fitting closer, a mid-tempo song that summarizes the whole feel of this album. Again, a 5/5

This is a hit or miss album. Some might love it like me, other might not get it. It will either be 5 stars or it will confuse you.

But I say a *****/*****.

Bob Marley and The Wailers Live!The Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet
Jefferson Airplane VolunteersThe Rolling Stones Tattoo You
The Rolling Stones Black and BlueThe Stooges Fun House

Kingadamx
January 4th 2005

I can't say that I have heard many of the songs on this album but after reading your review I think that I'll pick it up some time in the near future. Good Review.

sadisticmonkey
January 24th 2005

Pretty easy with the 5's...

but this in Dylans top 5 for me

Hey Mr. Light Man
March 2nd 2005

I've ntoiced almost all my ratings in my reviews are 5's when I'm in a good mood...and because I only take time to review good albums.

Badmoon
March 2nd 2005

I just recently bought this albums. It's up there with Folsom Prison :thumb:

Good review too :thumb:

El_Goodo
January 30th 2006

If his voice on the rest of the track's is the same as on I Threw It All Away im not gonna like it. It doesn't sound like he did at all on Blonde On Blonde, Freewheelin', Times Are A-Changin or any of his earlier recordings, it makes me angry.

cowboy angel blues
February 14th 2006

It's a really pleasant album to listen to. I happen to like his voice, here. "Tell Me That It Isn't True" is nowhere near the best song on the album, for me. Perhaps that is because I have experiences that put me in the role of the narrator of that song--anyway I don't like it. It's pretty good, but everything else on the album is far better, besides "Country Pie" and maybe "Peggy Day." Which are decent.

El_Goodo
September 2nd 2006

My opinion has changed intirely. I just picked up this album from a great new record store, that has cheap rare albums. I had since my comment grown to love his country voice, and so far this album is great and I'm only on track 3.

Does anyone believe Dylan saying that stopping smoking caused his voice to change like this?

MrKite
March 26th 2007

I've got this but it's on record so I have to wait until I go to my friends house to listen to it.

ART36
December 30th 2009

Just spectacular! Probably my favorite Dylan album.

robertsona
February 3rd 2011

lay lady lay sounds like deerhunter's "coronado" (or the other way around whatever). well the progression does

10nF
February 22nd 2012

Really weird the first listen, it wasn't at all what I was expecting. I saw on the leaflet that the first song was performed with Johnny Cash but i had no clue who was singing. Took me a few listens to get into but now it's easily one of my favorite Dylan records. And Nashville skyline rag, dam its genious, I love the happy cheer in it.

manosg
April 1st 2014

Not a bad album but I don't enjoy Dylan's voice on this one which says quite a lot.

Digging: Jan Akkerman - Tabernakel

JamieTwort
April 1st 2014

I think his singing on here is great. Probably one of the best things about the album for me as the song writing is a bit below par for Dylan's incredibly high standards.

Digging: Benoit Pioulard - Hymnal Remixes

manosg
April 1st 2014

I kinda felt that it lacked the character of some of his previous and later stuff. Have you listened to Self-Portrait? I've been putting it off for a long time due to its avg rating and high duration.

JamieTwort
April 1st 2014

I get what you mean but I liked that this album showed that he could actually sing with a nice, easy on the ear croon. I think it suits the style of the album too.

No I haven't heard Self-Portrait actually. It's never really been a priority to listen to for me given how it seems to be considered one of his weakest albums.