A Tribe Called Quest
The Low End Theory

by i2 enegade USER (2 Reviews)
January 16th, 2005 | 48 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Often regarded as the highlight of the alternative rap scene, A Tribe called Quest fused highly intelligent lyrics with jazzy beats to create a sound that was as unique as it was awesome. With the release of The Low End Theory, The Tribe showcased one of the most impressive and important performances in rap history.

-Highlights-

Excursions - Wow what a way to open up an album. The track opens with a cool bassline which leads into Q-tip who starts rapping about the excursions in life and why you should stray away from its negative aspects. Q-tip is a lyrical genius and it is evident in this track. The chorus includes a verse from "Time is running Out" by The Last Poets. Overall, an excellent track.

Verses From The Abstract - Nicknamed "The Abstract Poet", Q-tip makes it his duty to deliver creative and ingenious lyrics executed with unbelievable flow and control. In this song Q-tip raps about why he does what he does and why he loves it. He also mentions the names of some his idols and inspirations. The chorus includes some beautiful singing from Vinia Mojica. Another awesome song.

The infamous Date Rape - This is one of the more serious songs on the album, which has Phife and Tip rapping about the issue of rape. This is an example of the Tribes meaningful lyrical content.

Jazz(We've Got) - YESS! The tribe at their best. The Lyrics and the execution are once again, flawless! . A very laid-back and jazzy song with some nice bass and beats to boot.

What? - This is one of the more unique pieces of the album, but also one of my favorites. It basically has Q-tip asking questions(about 40 or so) for the entire 2:29. But he does it without becoming boring or repetitive. Check out the lyrics to see. The intro is also very cool.

Scenario - All through the album the Tribe did not disappoint, and that holds true even for the last track. Scenario is probably the most upbeat and comical track on the album. Phife and Q-tip once again demonstrate why they were at the top of their game. This track also includes cameos by Dinco D, Charlie Brown, and a very memorable cameo by Busta-Rhymes.

The Tribe pretty much ignored the macho/gangster-like persona prominent in the rap scene of their day. Instead, their music stayed positive and upbeat. If you find yourself disliking rap because of the "YO WHERE MY HOES AT" bs, but are still open to new styles, then i highly recommend The Low End Theory. This album is amazing in every sense of the word and puts almost all of today’s rap scene to shame.

Note: My interpretations of some of the songs are opinions and could be wrong.

4.4
LiveWire420 (5)

Tangy zizzle
January 2nd 2005

Not the best review, but this is a great, great album.

Nice pick.

Bartender
January 3rd 2005

Thanks. I've only heard Beats, Rhymes and Life by A Tribe Called Quest, but that's a very good album, and I've heard this is better, so that can't be bad.

You could edit in that it's #154 on the Rolling Stone list, by the way.

Iai
January 3rd 2005

Scenario was voted the best rap song of all time a while back.

I'm not happy with 'true pioneers of the alternative rap scene'. That was Jungle Brothers, or Ultramagnetic MCs.

Robert Crumb

Such a classic.

i2 enegade
January 3rd 2005

Not the best review, but this is a great, great album.

This was actually the second review i did on the same album...cuz when i posted my first, longer review, the forums went down and i had to start from scratch. So i guess i was a bit distracted and angry while doing this one. But do ya have any suggestions on how i can improve?

Yeah i changed that statement up a bit.

40 oz 2 freedom
January 3rd 2005

[QUOTE=Tangy zizzle]Not the best review, but this is a great, great album.

Nice pick.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Pagaard
August 5th 2010

Laughed at the "YO WHERE MY HOES AT". Nice.

MUNGOLOID
August 5th 2010

i remember singing The Infamous Date Rape at a meeting i had in high school about abstinance. one of the speakers just looked at me weird as hell.

oltnabrick
February 16th 2013

mmmmmn good abum likk relly gud, have a a neg

OK

Digging: Michael Pisaro - Continuum Unbound

dannyboy89
February 21st 2013

Started listening to this today, kickass album. High likelihood that I'll give it a 5.

:edit: finished it, and gave it a 5.

oltnabrick
February 21st 2013

sweet rating, cant 5 it tho, the middle drags a little bit

RobSchuldiner
February 26th 2013

Rules

Chortles
March 22nd 2013

what the fuck, this only has one page?

oh nevermind other thread

Digging: Tortoise - TNT

Keyblade
March 22nd 2013

the fuck only 1 page? think the other one had more. it has to

Digging: Insides - Euphoria

GABEMatic
April 29th 2013

The most relaxing music aside from Jazz and Reggae comes from the mouths and fingers of Q-Tip, Phife Dawg, Jarobi and Ali Shaheed. Its hip/hop at its finest

pissbore
April 29th 2013

your statement contains some levels of truth but not entire truth

it appears you have never heard leonard cohen

Jeffrulesyou
May 28th 2013

I drink a lot of soda so they call me Dr. Pepper

Gwyn.
June 6th 2013

"the fuck only 1 page? think the other one had more. it has to"

ya it does, 24 pages

so this is cool

Keyblade

extremely

Gwyn.
June 6th 2013

I really like the atmosphere, it's real chill

not seeing where the jazz fusion thing comes in tho, is that in their other albums or sputnik just dumb?

although, i haven't heard some of the songs