Cannibal Corpse
The Bleeding

by Buzz Killington USER (10 Reviews)
August 31st, 2007 | 26 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Uninviting for me at first, but I then grew to admire the gore-themed music it contains.

For some reason, this started off as a 2.5 for me. It was off putting at first, but I gave it another chance. It grew from a 2.5 to a 3, and now it is sitting at a 3.5. Will I give it a 4? Who knows? It could only be a matter of time.

How does one describe Cannibal Corpse? I could describe them as a band that isn’t as well loved, as they are known, even if they are one of the most famous death metal bands out there. They’re that well known probably because of the ‘graphic’ album covers, song names and lyrics to go with them. Hell, it’s what got the album sales of their first three albums banned in certain countries and also got them forbidden for performing songs from those albums.

Speaking of graphic album covers, what’s the cover of The Bleeding? From what I can see, it’s a big pool of blood. On the alternate ‘clean’ cover, it has what I presume is a guy in a pit of zombies.

Sorry about that. I should be more focused on discussing the album.

This is the fourth and final album with Chris Barnes. I’m not too fond of this fellow, but his vocals are aggressive and precise, which suit the band well. The overall musicianship is also fitting for this band. (Often) creepy guitar rhythms (like on Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead), rapid drumming and the bass is almost impossible to not notice. Seriously, there is intense bass throughout the album. The album was probably produced like that so Alex’s talent doesn’t go unnoticed.

The opening track, Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead, has a feeling that matches with the song title. I’m not joking. When I first heard this, I was a little fretful from the rhythm. It sent a chill down my spine, like I actually was laying my eyes upon a bunch of dead people. The guitarists could’ve adjusted on their soloing, but the four solos (it’s like a solo after solo after solo thing) go good with that creepy feeling, so that should count for something.

The first three albums had disturbing song titles. As does this album. The song is ***ed With a Knife. Ugh. Could you imagine that being done in real life? That song has some of the grossest lyrics I’ve ever heard.

Tied tight to the bed
Legs spread open…
…I feel your heart beating
My knife deep inside
Her crotch is bleeding

I think I’ll stop there.

The song following it is Stripped, Raped and Strangled. The lyrics in this one aren’t as unpleasant. Actually, the song is quite catchy (yes, catchy). The song can be off putting due to Chris Barnes’ screaming. Not growling, screaming. He screams in places on other songs too. I don’t know about you, but I heard Barnes whispering on She Was Asking for It.

My least favorite song off of this would have to be Return to Flesh. It starts off with a slow rhythm that will surely get you bored. The start is too trite. It picks up, but it still fails to keep my interest. Along side it would have to be the album closer, An Experiment in Homicide. Same idea as Return to Flesh, only it’s shorter, doesn’t pick up, and it seems even more uninspired to me.

A track I’m fond of for some odd reason is Pulverized. It’s a fast-paced track with very little screaming. One of my favorite parts off of the song is the bridge. I fancy distorted high-string strumming. A song similar to this is the Pick-Axe Murders. I’m not into this song as much as Pulverized, because Barnes screams more and I don’t like the lyrics. If you’re one of the people that can get passed his screaming, you’ll enjoy it more than I did.

What you will find in the album:
- “Graphic” lyrics
- Barnes’ screams (which might not be too pleasant)
- Intense bass throughout
- Eerie guitar rhythms in places
- Speedy drumming here and there
- A couple of unappealing tracks

AFI AFINovembers Doom The Novella Reservoir
Metallica Some Kind of MonsterOur Lady Peace A Decade
Opeth Ghost ReveriesAFI The Days of the Phoenix
psychosisholocausto (4.5)
The definitive Cannibal Corpse album, this captures the band at their peak and is one of the finest ...

Shadelurk (4.5)

muchtallerthanu
September 1st 2007

I hope I kept the awkward phrasing to a minimum with this one. I noticed that I have done that with my previous reviews.

September 1st 2007

i like this review, it works well. and this cd is great too stripped raped and strangled is my fav. on here.

September 1st 2007

Mediocre review. Not bad enough for a neg, but not good enough for a pos.

gasmaskman
September 1st 2007

Chris Barnes like a billion times better than George Fisher.

kalkal50

Bad review, decent album

ValiumMan
September 1st 2007

I dunno, the whole self-referencing was pretty unnecessary (the whole "I think" and "for me" stuff), because it should be clear that any statement made in a subjective review (like this one) reflects your personal opinion. I think constantly pointing it out makes your arguments seem feeble, cos it sounds like you aren't quite sure about what you've written.

Brain Dead
September 1st 2007

how tall are you exactly

Willie
September 1st 2007

These guys were great in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective!

No really, I agree with the other guys that the review needed just a little more time for you to polish it up. As for the album, I don't like Chris Barnes' vocals at all... I did like the last CC album though, which is a first for their music.

September 1st 2007

haha im the only one that thought this review was pretty good.

Slaytan
September 1st 2007

Does anyone else see that obnoxiously large advertisement in the middle of the review? Or is that just my computer? Because that is so annoying.

Thor
September 2nd 2007

Sputnik is incredibly fucked up right now.

kalkal50
September 4th 2007

Sputnik wasn't fucked... the owner had to renew the domain name. It expired September 1st.

Wizard

19556 Comments

Excellent review, good use of the hilarious lyrics too (I guess Im sick for finding those lyrics funny!). Anyways, CC has always been consistently good with their albums. Their old stuf with Chris Barnes is a little weak compared to their new stuff.

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

Ire
September 4th 2007

Good review imo, needs a little bit more detail.

September 4th 2007

Decent review. I like the spacing with lyrics format people use, but I think that Cannibal Corpse is a bad choice when it comes to lyrical content of that format.

CoRpSeSlAyEr
September 6th 2007

Amazing album. A perfect last album for the barnes era.

September 6th 2007

tomb is so much better than this.

CoRpSeSlAyEr
September 7th 2007

It's not MUCH better than this, but it is a very different album and it is an album that Corpse needed to improve their sound. It was good for them release something that is both different and pretty much equally as good as the classic that proceeded it.

September 7th 2007

Tomb is better, but this is my second favorite.

February 5th 2010

71981 Comments

omfg so good fuck the haters i say

Digging: Exodus - Blood In, Blood Out