Animosity
Empires

by Luke M. Jenkins (Confessed) USER (58 Reviews)
August 29th, 2007 | 23 replies | 12,954 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Death metal with breakdowns. That isn't actually as bad as it sounds...

Modern death metal has been slightly lackluster in the opinion of most metalheads. Gone are the glory days when bands such as Death and Morbid Angel reigned - here now are the days where when people are talking about Death Metal, bands such as Job For A Cowboy are dropped into conversation. This isn't to say that every newer death metal band that mixes breakdowns into their sound is bad. Animosity is a five piece death metal band from America who are a prime example of this. Empires comes in at just under half an hour and proves to be a delicious slice of death metal spliced with various metalcore elements.

Brutality and speed are two things that surface the most throughout Empires. Right off the bat with Thieves, the band show you just what they are capable of producing. Riff after riff pummels you and a vocalist who can vary his range wonderfully well are two ingredients that help to make the record most enjoyable. The drumming is fast where it needs to be and is never out of place; some of the speeds attained, particularly in terms of fills, is nothing short of frightening. The title track is a mid-paced headbanger during the introduction, before speeding up into a more death metal like section. The guitarists are more than competent and their riffs are well crafted - Animosity are kind of like a mix between bands such as Despised Icon and earlier Job For A Cowboy and metalcore. The rhythms are highly metalcore influence anyway - complex start-stop sections and all out blast parts with double bass overload.

As far as negatives go, the most evident would be that everything sounds pretty similar. On occasions, some riffs sound pretty uninspired - the constant chugga-chugga riffs that are interspersed with the more death metal riffs may begin to get on some people's nerves after a while. Animosity are definitely at their most effective during their speedier moments; the drummer is certainly a talented member as far as drumming goes. Whilst the bass hugs the guitars almost exclusively, it does add a meaty low end. As a plus point, he is keeping up with all of the members using only his fingers which is quite an impressive feat at this pace.

Album highlights include the rip roaring The Black Page, which sears through the speakers at astounding speed before going into one of the more memorable breakdown sections. In general, the riffs are great, with the guitarists utilizing all the typical metal features to meld together groove, technicality and brutality into splendid riff after splendid riff. Blastbeats are aplenty in Life Advocate, with a bombardment of crazy drumming and groove riffs to keep you occupied. Metalheads will undoubtedly find plenty to enjoy here, while those more affluent with hardcore/metalcore will also be pleased, particularly by tracks such as Thieves and Commoditism, where the hardcore influences are worn firmly on the band's sleeves.

Empires may be short and it may not be ever so varied, but this is a solid release from a very young and very talented band. Animosity prove to be one of the better bands from a wave of new death metal acts and even though they do mix in the breakdowns and metalcore aspects to a prominent extent, this doesn't deter from an overtly brutal and fulfilling listening experience.

Recommended Tracks

War From A Harlots Mouth MMXPig Destroyer Terrifyer
War From A Harlots Mouth TransmetropolitanDevil Sold His Soul A Fragile Hope
Coheed and Cambria No World for TomorrowPig Destroyer Painter of Dead Girls
theoisbrutal (4.5)
A short but sweet ride through a usually monotonous genre, Empires is one of the few “DeathCore”...

Yazz_Flute
August 29th 2007

Nice review, my pos/vote.

I'm not sure if I would enjoy these guys, but you made them sound relatively interesting. I may check out some of their material.

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

Crimson

1935 Comments

Nice review, certainly described the sound well. My pos vote.
I don't think I'll get this tbh, doesn't sound like my style.

Crysis
August 29th 2007

The breakdowns make me think this on the verge of metalcore, but I'll check these guys out. Nice review.

August 29th 2007

I heard about these guys in a revolver magazine a long time ago maybe i should check them out.

Tyler

+ Amazing drummer
- Lame tough-guy theatrics

masscows
August 29th 2007

I can't get into this band, the vocals bother me and it has way too much of a mosh/toughguy metalcore feel to it.

gasmaskman
August 29th 2007

Pretty good band, shows a lot of promise. Nice review, too.

Fort23
August 31st 2007

oooo aounds like a pretty good band. good review.

whatduffhuck7
September 11th 2007

Animosity is one of the best live bands around.

There on tour right now with between the buried and me, and HORSE the band.

What a F UCKING show.

FukuiSan
September 17th 2007

Yeah bro, they're in Greensboro on the 26th, I'm pumped.

Bleak
December 9th 2007

Definitely an album to get someone pumped. I love the vocalist and drummer.

Confessed2005
December 10th 2007

The drummer is insane. Tight as a gnat's ass live too.

Vokills
April 28th 2008

Animosity is just ballin in general XD

treos
May 24th 2008

i agree that they are amazing live. this is a really good cd

natey
November 11th 2008

This is so a bit better then the deathcore my friends genuflect

AngelPhoenix
November 11th 2008

Their new album kinda kills this too

IWhisperedSilence
June 16th 2009

Animosity deserves as much credit as Suicide Silence does, if not more. Best album put out by them imo.

MizaelMassacre
September 9th 2009

this album, in my opinion, had to be one of their better albums
sure they can be generic at times
but i enjoy their simplicity compared to other bands
suck as Behemoth or Brain Drill
overall i give it a 3.5

promiseswept
September 17th 2009

one of my favorite deathcore records ever made.

beav910
January 30th 2010

i dont really consider this album to have any breakdowns at all. its still a great album though.