Red Hot Chili Peppers
Greatest Hits

by Luke M. Jenkins (Confessed) USER (58 Reviews)
August 24th, 2007 | 21 replies | 6,807 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: RHCP released a fine compilation of hits spanning a fair few of their more commercially successful releases. It might be their best singles and hits but it isn't their overall best. Some notable exemptions, ala Can't Stop and Zephyr Song.

Greatest Hits albums rarely live up to that name. Lets face it; the majority of bands whom release these compilations are doing so mostly because they cash in. Most of the inclusions on the album will have been big hits but altogether, the album as a whole just isn't all that amazing, let down by filler material or downright forgettable songs. In the case of the legendary funk rock (is that the right term?) Red Hot Chili Peppers, they've churned out a fair few albums in their time. Californication and By the Way were huge commercial successes, holding host to a huge number of memorable singles and so forth. With that said, the band are still going as strong today, with Stadium Arcadium receiving mostly favourable reviews from critics and fans alike. This 2003 release has a lot of good songs on it but it also fails to include rather a lot of the band's gems. Which is quite a shame, seeing as the band really have penned a great number of brilliant rock songs.

Songs from Californication are predominant here. Five of them to be exact. Numeracy wise, following closely behind is the album often heralded as their best, Blood Sugar Sex Magik. The undeniably beautiful Under the Bridge opens things up; Frusciante's guitar work being the obvious highlight. Kiedis' isn't one of my preferred vocalist but he has his own style that works well for the band - lyrically, Under the Bridge is quite emotional. Apparently the song is about heroin addiction - which would make sense but there have been suggestions that the theme isn't quite as dark as that. Give It Away and Suck My Kiss are the obvious funky highlights of the compilation, proving to be the cream of the band's most raunchy and 'sexy' album (can the word sexy be used to describe an album?). If Californication is your favourite album by the band, classic singles from it will keep you in high spirits. The brilliant title track for instance, as well as Scar Tissue (you've got to love Frusciante's guitar solos in that one) along with the lesser played Otherside and Parallel Universe are all great additions. Furthermore, Road Trippin' is a great inclusion, featuring some truly awesome fretwork from Frusciante, setting a truly cool, seaside mood for the song.

What does startle me is the lack of two of the band's most obvious hits from the hugely successful By the Way album. Can't Stop and Zephyr Song are nowhere to be seen. Seeing as I've never really been that big a fan of Universally Speaking (it's pretty lame in fact) I was sort of disappointed that the band had failed to include them. Dave Navarro era Chilis is adequately covered I feel with one of the band's best from that period. My Friends is quite a beautiful song, even if Dave's guitar solo is really annoying and kind of out of place. Ballad wise, Breaking the Girl makes a nice appearance too - also quite a pleasant addition.

The legendary collaboration with Stevie Wonder that is Higher Ground is obviously here. Whilst I have no real love for the song, it is no real mystery as to why it is here - Flea's funky slap bass line will harpoon through your head and make you want to funk the night away. The two all new songs the band did for this aren't too shabby. Fortune Faded became a single and it isn't hard to see why - Frusciante's catchy guitar line fuses all too well with Flea's boppin' bass and Chad's simple yet tight drumming. Save the Population isn't a poor song but in pales in comparison when against the aforementioned number.

As far as greatest hits albums go, this one isn't too bad. It holds host to some of the band's best and it is a nice collection of everything from the well known parts of their discography. However, the album is in dire need of some obvious exemptions. Especially from the By the Way album...maybe the band themselves just became sick of it, just as I did once upon a time when that's ALL I heard from my sister's bedroom all those years ago...

War From A Harlots Mouth MMXPig Destroyer Terrifyer
War From A Harlots Mouth TransmetropolitanDevil Sold His Soul A Fragile Hope
Coheed and Cambria No World for TomorrowPig Destroyer Painter of Dead Girls
Mr-R (5)

August 24th 2007

Just read over this and it seems short. But I didn't really have a whole lot to say about the album...

I never have a whole lot to say about RHCP in general to be honest.

astrel
August 24th 2007

"How about instead of listening to funk rock I suggest we listen to funk rock" Anybody who gets that reference will also get a pat on the back from yours truly. Oh and good review Confessed, I agree that most Greatest Hits end up that way.

Knuckles
August 24th 2007

:lol: Stop posting 10000000000 reviews every 2 months.

August 24th 2007

lol I've only done 42 in about 2 and a half years dude.

IsItLuck?
August 24th 2007

yeah seriously, he's not tribestros in any way shape or form. but two in a row is pushing it a bit.

August 24th 2007

I was bored and wanted to feel productive.

Otisbum

1912 Comments

Nah, two is fine.

Three is pushing a bit. Anything above that should be spaced out through a week.

Nice review though.

FriendofTheDevil70
August 24th 2007

Nice review and I would agree.

My rating does not reflect on the individual songs, but rather the collection of the songs put on disc and passed as a greatest hits. The RHCP are one of my favorite bands, and most of these songs are excellent, but I am against a greatest hits collection for bands as good as the RHCP. If you choose to get into the RHCP, you should buy at least three seperate LP's, instead of a greatest hits.

Fort23
August 24th 2007

Good work, you're branching out a lot with the genres your reviewing which is cool. 18 reviews, man I have to catch up.

dub sean
August 24th 2007

The Zephyr Song is my favorite Chili Peppers track...I have this album, but I prefer their actual albums to this.

MadnessUnhallowed
July 22nd 2008

Soul To Squeeze is one of my favourites on here.

I also prefer the proper albums.

IAmInsect
July 22nd 2008

otherside is probably my favorite chili peppers song

Titan50
February 17th 2009

Nice review.

It's good they included songs that weren't THAT "hit", like Parallel Universe (my fave on here) and Road Trippin.
Although I really dislike Universally Speaking. Can't Stop should've replaced it

Omaha
February 16th 2011

We should also ask why Around the World wasn't included on this?
Sure, a lot of Californication was on here, but they could have taken away Parallel Universe and replaced it with the much better Around the World in my opinion.
And what the hell, why would they decide not to include Can't Stop... Lol, I have never understood.

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty

MatthewGoodFan101
May 8th 2011

There are many great individual songs featured on this compilation, but the abscene of RHCP's other hit songs really lets me down as well. Where's Can't Stop and Around the World? Where's Aeroplane? If this truly was a Greatest Hits album then these songs should definitely have been featured. They could easily replace some of the other less popular songs on this album. Besides, I don't recall Parallel Universe or Universally Speaking being big hits anyway. Even Roller Coaster was a bigger hit than those songs.

Don't bother buying this compilation, it's not worth it. If you wanna get the best of the Chili Peppers you should buy their albums, especially Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication.

dizzyD123
June 8th 2011

Stevie Wonder didn't collaborate on 'Higher Ground'! Chili peppers did a cover of the song which was a big hit...

ZedO
July 28th 2012

Track Fortune Faded and Save the Population were my main reason why I purchased this stuff eight years ago... and I still love this

peaks40
October 31st 2012

soul to squeeze is terrific, i love john's vocals on save the population

BigPleb
April 11th 2013

I will never know why Soul to Squeeze wasn't on BSSM.

Digging: Killer Be Killed - Killer Be Killed