Emanuel
Black Earth Tiger

by Devon Longerbeam USER (11 Reviews)
August 21st, 2007 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Emanuel return with a record full uninspired, angst filled rock.

In this business it seems that bands make two kinds of records. Ones that touch your personally while the band displays their feelings, with taste, and makes the music that keeps you interested. Sending you through emotions and leaving long lasting impressions. The other bands seem to waste an oppurtunity to only vent. They keep on making the same old, watered down music that doesn't interest anyone, and continue to whine of how women do them wrong. Emanuel completely follows in the footsteps of the latter bands, and just does an even worse job. Black Earth Tiger (yes that is the name) goes very quickly without leaving many traces of anything memorable. How they get away with this is impressive even if unfortunate.

Sticking to what you know never seemed more wrong with this record. Every song seems to beg for the verses to hold you off until the choruses come in, which aren't even worth the wait in the first place. While some songs do get it right the majority fail to do anything significant and are easily forgettable. "Cottonmouth" has the typical palm muted intro with the chorus lines slurred over top of it. The verse is pretty bland and contains some of the worst lyrics to reach paper. "She's so hopeless like an animal with all of it's legs broke" . When it the time comes for the bridge..well let's say it is best left forgotten with the vocalist's horrible attempt at a falsetto. Despite it being unoriginal and it's weak bridge, it's probably one of the best off of this record.

It's sad to say that it never really picks up from here. The next three songs feel as if they run together and use the same recycled riffs and song structure. "Scenotaph" comes in with a build up from the drums that eventually leads to a switching of screaming to singing, that seems to be a poor rendition of Daryl Palumbo. It's chorus contains some more lyrics that you'd like to forget, such as "Spread your legs and *** the world. This is war, yeah" . "Phobos" is the best track on the record, hands down. It's main riff is an unimpressive yet effective lead, and the chorus is the catchiest as it comes. Like the first few tracks, the rest of the album continues to blend together. The record does end on a slightly good note. "Whiteflag Reprise" has a decent second half. The whiny voice that seems to reign throughout the whole record in a bad fashion does itself some justice in the end. The bridge is quiet and depressing with a solemn, cracking voice singing it's little heart out. If it wasn't for the the first half dragging this song down, this would be the best of them all. Sadly it doesn't impress as a whole as much as "Phobos" or "Cottonmouth" in the least.

The end result is another record that falls short of emotion, and feels as if any effort was absent. While some songs prove to have potential in areas, it's already too late. Emanuel haven't really set themselves up for failure quiet yet. Though some songs reek of the same riffs that have been used countless times and sketchy vocals, they could drop the cliched angst driven alternative rock and improve in time for their next record.

Download:
-Cottonmouth
-Phobos
-Whiteflag

Album stream: http://www.myspace.com/emanuel

RiFF RAFF NEON iCONIssues Issues
Hit The Lights Skip School, Start FightsThe Advantage Elf Titled
Thrice The Alchemy Index Vols. I & IIThe Receiving End of Sirens The Earth Sings Mi Fa Mi
2.8
good
adriftaustin (4)
Scene-punk band Emanuel lets the demons that accompany the touring life style eat them alive, but ma...

Soundtrack to a Headrush

1912 Comments

Wow, that was really fast. Nice job, but I think they improved a bit from their last album in their guitars (though not enough to make this any better).

EDIT: Real rating added.This Message Edited On 08.28.07

August 21st 2007

Yeah, I didn't really listen to their last record. I do remember that single they had, the one you mentioned in the news article, and a few others.

I hope this doesn't seem rushed. I was actually liking it as I reviewed it, so hopefully others do too.This Message Edited On 08.21.07

1912 Comments

You did a good job, and I agree with you for the most part.

I just happened to like some of the songs a bit more.

August 21st 2007

I liked "Whiteflag Reprise" a lot. Well the second half anyway. And "Cottonmouth" was very catchy, but it's success was short lived with that falsetto.This Message Edited On 08.21.07

1912 Comments

Year Of The Pig was pretty cool, but I wouldn't buy this album for any of the good tracks.

It was fairly nice to listen to though. I can see the fangirls falling for this album. Guess I'll see what the freshmen listen to this year.

lol, i feel ya.

I should probably put up some Recommended tracks.

Thanks a lot Plath.

ToWhatEnd
August 22nd 2007

Yeah I listened to Cottonmouth and had enough. Boring, bland, pathetic lyrics, and somehow that's on the recommended list? Yikes, can't even imagine how bad the rest of this is. But yeah like SoP said make sure you describe the actual sound of the music not just what is going on in the music/what you don't like about it. I was quite guilty of that in some of my earlier reviews myself. But pretty good work overall.

mijen
August 24th 2007

Watch all you haters. This will be one of the top albms this year.

1912 Comments

Watch all you haters. This will be one of the top albms this year.
Could be. Most 'Top ___' lists include crappy albums.

I highly doubt that.

August 24th 2007

who negged this? just curious.

koecim
October 4th 2007

preety bland review, you didnt even seem to have listened to the album more then 1 time. Sometimes albums are really bad the first time around (Heroin-FFTL and Black Parade-MCR) but you need to give them time. I hated this album at first cause it seemed so emotionless but its not nearly as bad as you made it out to be, BAD REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spades777
October 4th 2007

Such a disappointing album, their debut was a generally excellent mix of awesome straight up rock riffs, energetic screams and sweet pop rock songwriting. This album sounds like a lifeless mishmash of elements of Deftones and Glassjaw, with no were near the talent or relevance of either band.

I really had high hopes for this one too.

qscott777
February 8th 2008

i bought this cd months ago...just because I'd been planning to do so...then I never summoned up enough interest to even listen to it...oh well.

adriftaustin
March 26th 2012

can't help feeling as though this review didn't really give the album a fair shake. I rather enjoyed it, and have penned a review of mine own which can be found under the "user" section. Any and all feedback is appreciated. R.I.P emanuel.

Pndi
November 14th 2012

hmmm still not sure how i really feel about this. sometimes i love it for what it is but i tend to think they tried to hard to be a mix of Deftones and Thrice so they just forgot to write standout songs.

anyway Whiteflag (Reprise), though sounding like Beware pt.2, is brillant