Sigur Ros
Takk...

by Jorn van Schaïk USER (172 Reviews)
August 21st, 2007 | 21 replies | 5,454 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Post-rock may be one of the most derivative of terms when it comes to music classification. Apart from the fact that most bands that play this particular style of music seem to be more instrumentally focused than vocally or guitar-driven, there is no common denominator as to what is really post-rock and what isn't, as a whole. Nevertheless, there are some bands that are universally agreed on to belong to this oft misleadingly-named genre, and one of them is the Icelandic foursome named Sigur Rós.

After storming onto the world platform with their second album Agætis Byrjun and the aptly titled (), expectations were high in the post-rock camp. The band's music had been extensively used for film scores due to the ambient nature and the... well, atmosphere that the band tends to create with their albums. Would Takk deliver on its promise? The band of course knew the only correct answer, which was, obviously, a wholehearted yes.

Takk is every bit as imaginative and unforceful as its predecessors. Again the strings, the E-bow, the piano tinkling, and Jonsi's lush falsetto are used to a great extent, going for the soundscape effect rather than a big punch in the face. Opener Takk... sets the mood already by being a 2 minute ambient intro, leading into one of the high points of the album, Glósóli. The lush, soft tingling atmosphere of the song works extremely well with the well chosen instrumentation, and once the song starts to shift into high gear with a deliciously well-placed crescendo, you're sucked into the album like a water in a drainpipe.

Of note is also the linguistic element of the band. When Jónsi isn't using his already completely unintelligble native tongue of Icelandic (trying to read it gives me headaches), he goes into some kind of Gobbledegook language that the band made up themselves called Hopelandic (Vonlenska in Icelandic.) This isn't so much a language as it is Jonsi crooning in falsetto however: again it is a sign of the post-rock tendency to use instruments as a texture and not as a method to bash it into your face.

This subtlety is what makes this album what it is, therefore. Sæglopur is a beautifully subtle track, from the beginning piano moments to the full-band climax around the middle, and immediately after starting to float off into some Icelandic dream world. Hoppipolla comes closest to actually rocking out, but even when Sigur Ros abandon subtlety for force it never becomes overbearing or brute: everything about this album is slick and smooth and inoffensive.

This album therefore remains inpalatable and saccharine for people who have to endure some kind of catchiness, energy, or plain out vigour in their music. Everyone else who is open-minded, textural and can appreciate the layered, atmospheric and musical approach to their job, this album is for you. Sigur Ros have delivered once again on their promise. Takk, guys. Takk.

Frank Turner Tape Deck HeartBrand New The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Metallica MetallicaSlayer World Painted Blood
Katatonia Night Is the New DayRammstein Liebe Ist Für Alle Da
4.2

Confessed2005
August 21st 2007

Well, apparently this is legendary and a milestone in the genre. From what I've heard at least.

Great review, I'll check this out at some point.

2092 Comments

Eh, I didn't find this album as great as everyone else.

The Jungler
August 21st 2007

Great review, a nice, concise read. I love this album.

SpinLightTwo

It's a beautiful album.

Kaleid
August 21st 2007

Hard album to review, good job.

This is lush, I like it just as much as Agætis

2092 Comments

See thats my problem with this album. It focuses too much on the lush vocals.

The Jungler

How is that a problem?

2092 Comments

Idk, I just prefer the more instrumentally focused Post Rock like Explosions in the Sky.

Fort23
August 21st 2007

Saeglopur is beautiful, so I have to get this.

Apocalyptic Raids
August 21st 2007

good album but out of the Sigur Ros albums I have, this is the one I've listened to least.

Otisbum

1912 Comments

Just got this, I'll try to give it a listen in a little bit.

Nice review.

ghostly phoenix
July 6th 2008

Saeglopur is my favourite Sigur Ros song. I don't think I've ever heard anything as emotive in my life.

October 8th 2008

Finally got around to listening to some Sigur Ros...found this in the bargin bin at JB Hi Fi.

On first listen...I'm really not sure what to make of it - this IS my first ever post-rock listen, afterall. It's pretty lush and beautiful...I'm just not sure it could be such a mainstay in my music collection to rate it high...

AtavanHalen
October 8th 2008

Bad place to start. Latest album and ( ) are the best to go with.

October 8th 2008

I heard their latest album is heading towards 'fun' more. I dunno...when I hear 'fun' in conjuncture with 'music' it just doesn't sit right with me. But yes, I'm in the process of obtaining ( ).

And...completely off topic...Perfect Symmetry is out?!

Kiran
October 8th 2008

This isn't a bad place to start. This has some of Sigur Ros' most accessible songs, such as Hoppipola, Saeglopur, and Glosoli. I'd actually recommend getting into this before jumping into ( ) as, considering this is your first ever venture into post-rock, it can be hard to digest. Listen to a few songs off their latest as well, as that is also pretty accessible if you're trying to get into Sigur Ros, especially the first two tracks.

October 8th 2008

Already jumped onto ( )...great atmospheric music actually. No standouts atm...kinda blends together, but we'll see.

I'm not really a fan of Hoppipola...Saeglopur and Glosoli are awesome, as is Andvari - love the strings at the end.

AtavanHalen
October 8th 2008

Gobbeldigook is fun, but it's also fkn glorious.

And...completely off topic...Perfect Symmetry is out?!

Uh. Yeah.

Altmer
October 8th 2008

the new sigur ros is the worst

soldier0cross
May 25th 2009

I loved ( ) and this alot but ultimatley Takk takes the cake for me. Everything on it is absolutely vibrant to me, uplifting powerful and moving. It feels cool like water and relaxing but moves me in such a way. I could dissect different elements of each song and how they mold to create such perfection. Its easily one of my favourite albums of all time.