Mirrorthrone
Carriers of Dust

by Dethtrasher USER (232 Reviews)
August 18th, 2007 | 29 replies | 3,629 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One man made this masterwork of metal art.

It is truly amazing how one person can create music that sounds like one band playing alongside an orchestra. Mirrorthrone is one such case, a ‘’band’’ lead by the all-round musician Vladimir Cochet. Formed in Switzerland around 2000 Vladimir has released two full-length albums which he has done by himself. According to facts, this guy is creating all of his music in his own bedroom. Mixing, producing, recoding you name it, (must be one huge bedroom huh?). Imagine a five crew metal band plus an orchestra that plays classical music without any influences from today’s music. That might not be the first thought that pops up in a metal fan’s head when they read about Mirrorthrone. Experimental black/death metal with melodic and classical influences is what this project is all about. But this is not the only project Vladimir is working on; he has at least three or four other black metal projects in progress as well. Only the words ‘’black metal’’ can both be freighting for some people or attractive to others. I’m not a black metal fan at all but I still have some favourite bands that use other types of music genres and blend it with black metal. And this band happens to be one of my most precious favourite black metal bands, and the reasons why will be found in this review.

Carriers Of Dust was released in 2006 and it has a total of four songs. One twenty minute track, two tracks a la ten minutes and one four minute track is what this album has to deliver. If there is something that really makes this album to stand out then it has to be the sound production. Many of you who might think that this is one more of those low quality black metal bands that only has a flat sounding guitar and drums, well if you think so then you’re wrong. Everything in this album is excellently produced; the only thing that doesn’t really sound good is the bass (of course). The classical and atmospheric keyboards are not interfering with the instruments at all; guitars, drums, vocals, everything harmonizes almost perfectly, only the drums takes up a bit too much space. The sound production might be god-like but the tracks don’t standout that much actually. All tracks have the same ingredients, only the structure and atmosphere is different. The tracks contains both ‘’rare’’ clean vocals, various types of fast drumbeats, different types of piano tunes etc. Three of the tracks is actually sang in French, only A Scream To Express The Hate Of A Race has English lyrics.

Vladimir seems to be a quite gifted singer; he delivers deep death growls, strained and raspy black metal shrieks, clean and calm vocals and even some whispers. While the growls and shrieks seems to be the preferred vocals the clean vocals are rarely heard, but the standout since he has used his voice many times to make it sound like a choir. If we look at the guitars we’ll find a very good selection of guitar riffs, don’t expect any ground breaking guitar work though. There are heavy riffs, various tremolo riffs, melodic structured riffs and so on, nothing highly technical really. The guitars provide a good atmosphere and build a good tension throughout the material, a very varied guitar performance. And the bass is of course almost nonexistent, there are no moments where you can hear the bass alone. It is very hard to detect the bass behind all the keyboarding and drumming, but it doesn’t matter since the sound production makes the music sound very heavy. And then we have the immense keyboards, the keys sounds exactly like these huge church organs and all these classical piano tunes. This gives the music lots of depth and texture, and the great thing is that all the different keys moulds perfectly together with the metal elements. You can actually hear that the drums are programmed, at times the double bass kicking and blast beats gets inhumanly fast. But Vladimir has done a marvellous job with the drumming; he has basically programmed most drum patterns that exists in the arts of black and death metal. Most drum parts are played in a fast pace but due to the good overall variety the level of repetitiveness is quite low.

Only one word can describe this album: Excellent. Only the listener can single out the flaws, my own would be that the bass doesn’t add much to the sound and that only one song has earned my interest, A Scream To Express A The Hate Of A Race. The rest of the tracks are just uninteresting, one reason would be the time length. Honestly, listen to this type of music for over twenty minutes really gets boring, unless you happen to be in love with this type of music. Carriers Of Dust would suit people who looks for music that affects their inner emotions since this is melodic, atmospheric and sort of epic. For some people it might release adrenaline while others gets a relaxing effect while they are listening to this. I’m amazed by the fact that this is just only one person that has managed to create music like this. People who like black metal in any shape should give Mirrorthrone a shot because this is unique if you ask me.

Positives
+ Great sound quality
+ Superb variety in everything (except track variety)
+ The fusion between classical music and black metal is flawless
+ Melodic, atmospheric, majestic, aggressive and heavy music

Negatives
- The songs are too long (except Mortphose)
- The songs could’ve been a bit more diverse

Recommended Tracks
Get them all, but my personal favourite will be always be A Scream To Express The Hate Of A Race.

A strong 4/5

Opeth DamnationFleshcrawl Made of Flesh
Sear Lamentations of DestructionTormented Rotten Death
War (swe) We Are...Total WarCrucified Barbara Til Death Do Us Party
Shadows (5)
The name Vladimir Cochet probably means nothing to most people reading this, even the most seasoned ...

Gangrene

plane

Great review. Little nitpicks

me own would be that

- The songs are too long (except

but otherwise, tight.
I really like the sample track.

Crimson

1935 Comments

This sounds very interesting, I like long/epic music.

Crimson

1935 Comments

Just heard the sample track and... wow, I really want this

The Door Mouse

2092 Comments

I've heard the sample tracks. They're okay.

August 18th 2007

I have yet to look into this band, so I think I'll go do that right now.

SlitYerGuts

A Scream To Express... is awesome. Rest are pretty skippable tbh

Doppelganger

A Scream To Express... is awesome. Rest are pretty skippable tbh

Pebster49
August 18th 2007

grr...I want this, but I can't find it anywhere! GRRRRR....good review btw

rattlehead42147
August 18th 2007

really great work as usual deth, though i must say this band is quite overrated.
Pebster i can get this to you without a problem hit me up on AIM or give me your emai, my AIM is JSL2H.
EDIT: Delivered :pThis Message Edited On 08.18.07

Crysis
August 18th 2007

- The songs are too long

Dammit I don't get why people say Mirrorthrone songs are too long but dont complain about Opeth's song lengths, I love the fact that the songs are so long, the 20+ minute track is fantasticThis Message Edited On 08.18.07

Digging: Tiamat - Wildhoney

20 minutes is nothing.

Crysis
August 18th 2007

Exactly! Edge Of Sanity did a 45 minute song, yet nobody complained... I don't see why people complain about song lengths on this album. Btw I'd bet you'd love this Robin, you gotta hear this album.This Message Edited On 08.18.07

August 18th 2007

Fantomas did one over an hour long.

blackmilk
August 18th 2007

Because his songs are boring. When you have material that is already uninteresting, every minute just adds to that.

It's a good thing robin knows that Fantomas have an hour long song. What would we do without that golden nugget of knowledge?

August 18th 2007

Why are you such a blatant asshole?

JumpTheF**kUp
August 18th 2007

Eliminator was abused as a child.

Doppelganger

Why not?

Shattered_Future
August 19th 2007

Yeah, aside from A Scream To Express The Hate Of A Race, this album bores me. That track is quite good though, even if it drags a bit and the programmed drums sound worse than a monkey's ass.

kalkal50
August 19th 2007

Three of the tracks is actually sung in French

nitpick, good review

and yeah first track is the only good one

Wish
August 19th 2007

The first riff in De l'Échec et de son Essentialité... is so awesome.
I love this album.