Opeth
Deliverance

by Andrew Barr (MM8) USER (65 Reviews)
August 12th, 2007 | 22 replies | 8,427 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: More on the heavy, less on the soft. Not a bad idea, if you ask me.

Opeth are well known for their tendencies to infuse several different genres of music into one, crafting their own unique atmosphere. Opeth’s most distinctive feature has always been tendency to switch swiftly from a heavy demonic sound to sombrely soft acoustic interludes. It’s also not unheard of for Opeth album’s to have a number of ballads creating an even balance of heavy and soft. So, one can only wonder what would happen if Opeth were to fixate more on the heavy aspects of their music and nearly as much on the acoustics. Enter Deliverance

Deliverance is Opeth’s sixth studio release and their heaviest album to date. It has a minimal amount of tracks, with six, yet is a staggering sixty-one minutes long. For the first time since Morningrise five different tracks exceed to ten minute mark. This was an enjoyable characteristic because it enabled more diversity to be instilled into the songs. Every song went through phases and changes as they progressed and when they concluded you were satisfied. Too many times has I been listening to a good song and wished it was just a bit longer, but I had no such qualm with this disc.

Lyrically, Deliverance is a difficult album to decipher. Several of Opeth’s releases such as Still Life and Ghost Reveries have been concept albums, but it is hard to tell if this album takes the same path. One thing is clear, however, Deliverance is similar to other Opeth albums in the sense of subject matter. Opeth’s other releases have had topics such as occult beliefs and heretics. This CD seems to be in the same twisted vein. The disc’s title track Deliverance tells us of a man drowning someone. At first the man seems sure it is the right thing to do as he holds the persons head beneath the waterline, but later in the song it is apparent the man greatly regrets his decision. Other songs seem to talk a lot about a man having nightmares and hearing voices. Whether or not this album embodies a concept, I am unsure of, but it certainly contains some interesting and demonic ideas.

Keeping in sync with the lyrics the CD’s musical facets were equally demonic and gloomy. Apart from occasional acoustic portions this album is primarily a festival of riffs. Album opening track Wreath is a shining exemplar of this. After a brief drum fill to start the guitar wastes no time, galloping into a ominous riff perfectly accentuated by Akerfeldt’s howling, low-pitched growls. While the heavy parts of the disc were consistently powerful some were less fast paced and more melodious. For example, the intro to album closer By The Pain I See In Others. Eventually the track gets rather frantic, but during the intro it’s somewhat solemn sounding while being surprisingly catchy. Riffs aside, Deliverence also showcases some of Opeth’s best solos. A Fair Judgement does a swell job of showing this off. Around the six and a half minute mark a solo belts out, bringing the song a splendid climax. As is typical when listening to Opeth, the solo was not overly complex or vastly complicated. After all, it didn’t need to be. It was a solid length and had lots of tasteful bends, which was all the song needed.

Not to let the guitar have all the fun, the rest of the instruments had strong showings. Martin Lopez’s work on drums was particularly fantastic. For instance, listen to the intro to Master’s Apprentices. Beneath the distorted guitar you can hear some extraordinary double kicks. It’s somewhat astonish that Lopez can play so frantically while keeping such perfect time. The album was also absolutely infested with skilful fills and neat little roll beats. The piano also had some moments. While not evident in many tracks it made its presence known in A Fair Judgement. The piano isn’t overly frantic, but rather some mellow chords. It was a benevolent way to begin the song as it was probably the slowest of the album’s heavy tracks.

Due to the heavier nature of Deliverance we here a lot more Akerfeldt’s signature growl and not as much of his clean vocals. Admittedly, the man does have a great clean vocals, but I had no problem with less of them and more of the growl. Both are wonderful, but Mikael’s growl just better suited the CD’s atmosphere. I also find that his growl is better for keeping the listeners attention. His clean tone is extremely soothing. This is good, but soothing is not a feature that keeps people focused. Rather it tends to make people drift into thought, thusly veering their attention away from the music.

Overall, this album is an absolute powerhouse. Definitely some of Opeth’s most compelling and enthralling material. Also, the fact that it had so few songs ensured that there was no filler and the two minute instrumental ballad in the middle of the disc provided a brief, but magnificent change of pace. Get this.

Soundtrack Jesus Christ SuperstarBrand New Deja Entendu
De La Soul Stakes Is HighCoheed and Cambria From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness
The Mars Volta Frances the MuteOpeth Still Life

August 12th 2007

One of my shorter reviews. How'd it turn out?

Altmer
August 12th 2007

your format is boring and tedious to read but it contained good information

Dulcinea
August 12th 2007

Every single review you write is pretty much exactly the same.

"The guitars are awesome. For example, check out..."

"The drums are sweet. For example, check out..."

ad nauseum

August 12th 2007

Alrighty, so I need to buff up my format, I'll try and work on that. Sorry if a lot of my reviews are similar, I've just grown accustomed to this format and it's the way I'm most comfortable describing albums. What should I do differently?This Message Edited On 08.12.07

Dulcinea
August 12th 2007

I dunno you pretty much only focus on the instruments and vocals. That's not all there is to the music. Sometimes you're like "Well this album or song is dark," but it's pretty obvious that you don't really look for emotional depth in music. Don't devote a paragraph to the guitars, a paragraph to the drums, a paragraph to the vocals, etc. That format works, yeah, but when you've been using it for 50 reviews, people are going to stop reading. Try to look for other stuff in the music, such as moods and emotions instead of just "Wow that guitar solo was awesome."

August 12th 2007

Okay, focus moreso on emotional depth and less on isnstrumentals. I'll give that a shot.

SynGates
August 12th 2007

Well I for one liked it. But I cant say I have read enough of yours to say they are clones, and I happen to love this album.

jrowa001
August 12th 2007

i didnt mind the review, but yeah take their advice. i love this album as i do all Opeth's stuff. not as strong as still life or blackwater park but its still good.

Wizard

19375 Comments

Good review, not your best. Opeth's best album simply because of the song Deliverence.

Digging: Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra - The Key to the Gates of the Apocalypse

rattlehead42147
August 12th 2007

i love this album and a very detailed review which=pos vote :thumb: opeth fucking rules and i dont care what anybody (dargon) says.

chimera908
August 12th 2007

Opeth has grown a bit stale for me. I need to buy a new Opeth album, hopefully that will revigorate my interest in them.

Sound
August 12th 2007

Well, the review gives me an idea of what this might sound like, so i guess it's good.

At the moment i'm waiting for it to arrive and i'm definitely excited. Although it is heavier, i hope the few melodic parts on the album are somewhat balanced with the death vocals.

btw some of your descriptions sound(ed) like you were only allowed to listen to this once in your life lol.

Crysis
August 12th 2007

Not Opeth's best, but this is still a good album. It shows their heavier side, which is really nice. I picked this up for $7 used at my local store and it was worth it.

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

Mikesn
August 12th 2007

I thought this was a pretty boring album.

Pretty good review. A little change wouldn't hurt, I suppose, but it's well written.

FR33L0RD

Good Review for a good album, but obvioulsy not their top 3
My pos voteThis Message Edited On 08.13.07

Yazz_Flute
August 13th 2007

Nah man, "Wreath" is pretty kiiller once you get used to it. Godhead's Lament blows it out of the water though. I'd say "A Fair Judgement" is the worst song here, its goood but i ind it less interesting.The title track, and "By the Pain I see in others" are my two favorite.

Anyway nice review, very good album, though it's probably my second least favorite by the band =/ But that's how good Opeth are, I love this album yet it's practically their worst.

Digging: Eskaton - 4 Visions

chimera908
August 13th 2007

A Fair Judgement is the best song on this album along with Deliverance. The A Fair Judgement solos are out of this world and the guitar chorus is so amazing.

Confessed2005
August 15th 2007

For me, half the album is immense. The title track, Wreath and Master's Apprentices own but the rest are just average. It's a great album but I'd rather listen to Blackwater Park or Still Life.

robin2220
August 15th 2007

This is one of my least favorite Opeth albums.

Sound
August 22nd 2007

[quote=]"Wreath" is pretty kiiller once you get used to it. Godhead's Lament blows it out of the water though.[/quote]

Yeah, it's an awesome opener and Godhead's Lament is better, but only slightly/it doesn't really blow it out of the water IMO.

This Message Edited On 08.22.07