This Ending
Inside the Machine

by Crimson USER (60 Reviews)
August 6th, 2007 | 16 replies | 2,005 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Straight forward melodic death metal done very well, with a powerful punch and a dark, modern feel to it.

"I think you can hear that this is played from the heart and that this music is something that we really love. I also think that even though our songs are pretty fast, they're still groovy, which is something that is quite unusual in the death metal genre. So I think that in essence what differentiates us from the rest of death metal bands is that we really think through every part of every song when we're writing." - Marten Hansen

This Ending:
Marten Hansen - Vocals
Leo Pignon - Guitar
Linus Nirbrant - Guitar
Jesper Löfgren - Bass
Fredrik Andersson - Drums

Looking at the line-up one thing comes to your mind, Fredrik Anderssons side project? Well, that's what went through my mind, being a big fan of Amon Amarth I decided to pick this up and was greeted by some hard hitting melodic death metal, with a slightly more modern and darker feel than most of the crowd recently. Melodic Death Metal has been stagnating for a while, most of the newer bands get brushed away as being boringly similar to the bigger acts, and while This Ending bring nothing new to the table, their unique style could make them a pretty big force in a few years.

Upon the opening notes of 'Seed of Destruction' you know what to expect from the rest of the album, powerful riffs, exquisite drumming and aggressive, yet understandable vocals. The vocalist is very good here, although his voice isn't particularly different from a lot of other death metal vocalists, but he varies the pitch of his growl to keep it interesting, something which a lot of extreme vocalists could learn from in my opinion. The guitars really pack a punch on the album and they play a lot of standard melo-death riffs, while not amazing in any way the guitarists do play every note with passion and do their jobs well. As you'd expect, the drumming is great, we get blast beats and extremely fast times but also some groovier more controlled drumming, a top performance from Andersson. The bass is barely audible, like in most other metal albums, which is a shame, because he sounds pretty decent from what I can hear, keeping the melody flowing in 'Plague Angel' and other songs.

Each song is pretty much your standard melo-death, but the production gives it a much more powerful feel than a lot of bands out there. Also, a few electronic bits here and there help make the album slightly more unique than most other bands, my favourite song is 'Plague Angel', which starts off slowly and menacingly with quiet drumming in the background, before it explodes into a groovy and powerful song with a terrific guitar melody being played throughout the chorus. This song is a great example of the vocalists versatility, with him doing a higher pitched scream followed by a guttural roar in the chorus. At first, some of the songs might sound pretty similar but after repeated listens you manage to define a lot of differences between each song. The lyrics aren't the best that I've heard, but they suit the music and always manage to sound pretty menacing even if they do sometimes just go on without much meaning. I've heard worse lyrics though, but these are average. Lyrics like:

'This Ending is, your misery
Accomplish creation, death, devastation
This Ending is your blackened soul'

Don't really make sense to me, but maybe I don't 'get them'. They do sound pretty great when growled by the singer though.

So, to sum up. This album was enjoyable and at times wonderful. But it also wasn't much different from a lot of melodic death metal out there and some of the songs weren't as good as the rest of the album. If this was released before melodic death metal had so many bands sounding the same I would have rated it higher, but as it stands now, it's a great album that should please any fan of death metal in general. If they can move away from the rest of the pack and start sounding really unique on their next album, it will be a classic, no doubt about it. They have the ability and the passion, but they just need something else, something to make them really stand out.

Ea Au EllaiEa Ea II
We Insist! The Babel Inside Was TerribleBe'lakor Stone's Reach
Senate The Great Northern ScenekillNahemah A New Constellation
3.2
good
Eric E. Smith (1)
This Ending..... well.... I hope they just end!...

Advice is always appreciated

August 6th 2007

Thanks for this, I'd been wondering wheither or not I should check this out. It sounds like a weaker version of Hypocrisy.

August 6th 2007

I keep hearing about this band in magazines. I think I should check them out.

Digging: My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

Crysis
August 6th 2007

Sounds good, I'll look into it.

1935 Comments

How come when I click on this album that other review comes up and not mine...

I thought it was the most recent one that was displayed?

Zoo
August 6th 2007

I didn't dig this too much. Somewhat boring.

1935 Comments

Have you heard Riders of the Plague (the album in your avatar) yet?

I have. It is amazing.

Crysis
August 6th 2007

Good review by the way, don't think I mentioned that before.

Pebster49
August 6th 2007

hmmm...not a fan of Amon Amarth, but it seems like its not Viking Metal which is a plus for me

Shadows
August 6th 2007

This is good stuff. Nothing particularly innovative, but it's solid melodic death that is probably the most extreme I've heard from a "melodic" death metal band.

And speaking of The Absence, I got Riders of the Plague in the mail today. :cool: 'Tis review time.

August 6th 2007

How super geeky of you :p

Shadows

How is that geeky??

August 6th 2007

idk I just felt like poking fun at you. I hardly ever wright reviews for anything anymore.

Pebster49
August 7th 2007

This sounds pretty good, its kinda like Hypocrisy, nothing too crazy about them, just another solid Melodeath band

gaslightanthem
April 30th 2009

3 years to late but lol 'wright reviews'