Fall Out Boy
Infinity on High

by Clumpy USER (29 Reviews)
July 28th, 2007 | 35 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A Complete Turnaround

Fall Out Boy - Infinity On High
Review by Clumpy
---

Before I begin this review, let's set the stage with some appropriate context.

I think we all remember a time when Fall Out Boy sucked hard. In 2005, when their album "From Under the Cork Tree" was released, right-thinking people everywhere dismissed them as another corporate emo clone. And they were absolutely correct. "From Under the Cork Tree" wasn't just boring - it was depressingly mediocre. Each song was calculated to be hooky and catchy, tailor-made for the sort of brainwashed tools who buy junk records like this. That year my emo hatred was in full swing and, if I remember correctly, Fall Out Boy became a subject of my hatred - a symbol of everything soulless and empty, everything pandering for sales.

Enter the new Fall Out Boy.

Like many of you who have heard the album, "Infinity on High" takes me completely by surprise. Never has a band's impression in my mind reversed so abruptly. I actually like this record. I mean, really, really like it. This album stands leagues over its emo peers. Fall Out Boy have made the move to soul, and they've kept their energy and fast riffs while beating bands like Maroon 5 at their own game.

Every song on Infinity on High is packed with energy. To be fair, few emo bands have lacked energy (weepy, boring Dashboard Confessional aside), but this is a different kind of energy - exciting and soaring, far from the mindless junker of a record they could have released. This album walks the line dividing commercial accesibility and quality, and manages to thrill while it's at it. I came into this record with gutter expectations and left with the songs ringing in my ears.

Nearly every track is a standout - some pound a steady rhythm, expanding on themselves to some truly epic finishes. Standout single "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race" starts powerfully and hits with a scorching transitioning into the rolling chorus. More introspective tracks like "Golden" work the melodic side more subtly.

Every element of this album plays with the power-emo core that made Fall Out Boy successful, while pushing forward into new musical ground for the genre. The vocals, instrumentation and songwriting have all matured and improved. Don't get me wrong - this album will be absolutely at home in the hands of the preteen girls and posers that bought the band's last record. But some of us more jaded listeners will manage to enjoy it as well.

While the album has a couple of missteps (the cliched opening faux-epic moments of single "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs", a couple terrible screamo moments later in the album), I recommend that everybody give this album at least a listen. Support a band who stopped sucking and hopefully some other bands will follow suit. In fact, if they release one more good album in a couple of years and axe "Panic! at the Disco" from their record label, I might even buy a t-shirt!

EDIT: I realize that others may not like this album as much as I do, and that others may not have hated "From Under the Cork Tree" as much as I did. Use your judgement on this one. It's hardly original - just executed quite well.

Visit Clumpy's blog at clumpy.blogspot.com

Man Man Six Demon BagArctic Monkeys Favourite Worst Nightmare
Battles MirroredBelle and Sebastian The Life Pursuit
Eels Electro-Shock BluesGorillaz Demon Days
3.1
good

Fort23
July 28th 2007

The review was well written, but i don't agree with all the crap you said about FUCT. It was a pretty good pop-punk album, as this is. The review was good though, so I voted.This Message Edited On 07.28.07

PhoenixRising
July 28th 2007

Agree with you regarding FUCT, disagree that his album is a departure from the formulaic, studio driven sound they are known for.

Too bad FoB isn't emo.

July 28th 2007

Too bad Fall Out Boy is popular.

July 28th 2007

Oh, you gotta at least admit they make good, original, and fun pop music.

July 28th 2007

good and original do not belong in the same sentence as Fall Out Boy. Fun is the only reason they get a 1.5 instead of 1.

July 28th 2007

I'm sorry; I don't enjoy Fall Out Boy but I see their originality.

I weep for you.

July 28th 2007

No, I weep for you because you can't tell bands who make good music even if its not within your taste.

LifeInABox

It's ok Crav. He is entitled to like these guys AND Atreyu.......*snicker*

July 28th 2007

Look, I don't enjoy Fall Out Boy; but you have to admit they make good pop music.

astrel
July 28th 2007

Their music has practically no lasting ability whatsoever to me.

LifeInABox
July 28th 2007

Ok, I liked their last album when I was like 12.

July 28th 2007

sorry tribe, Hbp owned you. and astrel's right. they have no lasting talent even if they have some now. the only thing they can do is make the media people happy. I'm open with my music taste and their is some pop rock I like, and this is not one of the bands that stand out as having any potential of being anything other then a media sellout.

thesystemisdown
July 28th 2007

Nobody has to admit anything of the sort. Fall Out Boy are pretty bad. Their music is kind of vaguely enjoyable but I wouldn't call it good, just sort of depressingly catchy.

July 28th 2007

I wanted to shove a spork in my ear after hearing Sugar We're Going Down. Horrible lyrics.

PhoenixRising
July 28th 2007

Plus, Pete Wentz is a douchbag even for the Pop-punk scene.

KingGhidorah
July 28th 2007

Yeah FoB need more lyrics about Satan and murder.

July 28th 2007

I agree king ghidorah. Then they could use pete wentz as a human sacrifice.

Digging: Boy Harsher - Yr Body Is Nothing

sgrevs
July 28th 2007

I heard this when it first came out, and although it wasn't that bad, it certainly wasn't good. For this band, I'm a singles man only, their singles are great.