Coheed and Cambria
The Second Stage Turbine Blade

by Zane W. USER (6 Reviews)
July 27th, 2007 | 18 replies | 2,448 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A Great mix of musicality, meaningful lyrics, and poppy sensibilities make this album a treat to the very end.

Coheed and Cambria
Second Stage Turbine Blade

Coheed and Cambria are an odd band. I discovered them through the cajoling of a friend after about 2 months. Needless to say, I was taken by surprise. Their unique blend of poppy vocals and melodies and riff oriented guitar work make this album thoroughly enjoyable. This album is their first, and I believe it is their most enjoyable. Throughout the entire album the overall feeling is “fun.”

Right from the beginning, with opening track Time Consumer you can hear Claudio Sanchez’s (vocals/rhythm guitar) easily recognizable vocal style, which is characterized by high singing and an occasional high yell. This track feels, for lack of a better word excited, as if it can’t wait to show you the rest of the album. After this is Coheed’s probably second most recognizable song, Devil in Jersey City. This song was my first experience with Coheed and Cambria, and includes several enjoyably catchy riffs and a clean interlude, which moves the energy from the nonstop style of the rest of it to a slow, calming resting point before bringing the energy right back up and holding it up until the end.

Everything Evil, the next song, begins with some nice drumming and a sample of a door slam before an extremely enjoyable, and somewhat complicated clean riff. I believe this may be the most emotional track on the album, and leads me to a point I haven’t commented on so far, lyrics. Almost every single Coheed song has great lyrics, whether or not you take them in the concept of the album’s story. This song also features a very convincing vocal delivery, which just takes this song to n even higher level. Another one of the standout tracks on this record is Delirium Trigger. This song showcases a few awesome bass fills, and once again, extremely well crafted lyrics. While this may not be the most complicated song on the album; it has very catchy instrumentation and nearly endless replay value. A highlight of this song is the clean interlude and enormous build up after it. This is one of the greatest examples of a band creating tension in a song I have ever heard.

Next up is 33, a song with another catchy riffs and well worded lyrics. This song is sung in a lower register, so people who are turned off by Claudio’s high voice may find something to like here. After this is Junesong Provision, a song that never really grabbed me. A slight dip in lyrical quality brings this song down a bit, but this song features a difficult message to get across effectively, so this is forgivable. One of the albums coolest sounding riffs can be found during the chorus here.

Following this is another song vying for my favorite song on the album, Neverender. This track features an extremely catchy chorus and, I guess, “after chorus,” featuring the lyric, “Point your gun in another direction.” This song also features unique riffs that stand out from the rest on the album. Lastly is the song Godsend Conspirator, a song with a cool intro riff and a very slightly distorted guitar tone throughout. The lyrics are good, but by no means the best on this album full of great vocal melodies. This is a somewhat long song, clocking in at over 10 minutes, but I wouldn’t end this album any other way. It ends on the perfect, if somewhat enigmatic note.

Pros
- Great Instrumentation throughout, especially guitar
- Powerful lyrics
- Catchy without getting old

Cons
- Singer may be intolerable for some
- Somewhat simplistic drumming

Overall

This is the first album I heard from Coheed and Cambria and I still believe it is their finest effort. A sublime combination of fun riffs, well used pop sensibilities, and from the heart lyrics make this a great album for fans of finely crafted music. 5/5

Recommended Tracks

Grade Under the RadarChiodos Bone Palace Ballet
Saosin Translating the Name
user ratings (1921)

July 27th 2007

this is my first review, so any constructive criticism/feedback would be appreciated.

Jom

Good job, dude, I'll put this through. Two quick notes:
1. I moved the band line-up to the bottom of your review because the site's owner wants reviews to start right with the reviews, and not a bunch of choppy information that can be taken from the band pages, and
2. Take it easy with the "I guess" and "You guessed it" phrases in your reviews. It's your review, so re-stating your opinion is a bit tedious, and you never want your readers to guess or assume anything - that's why you review!
But, all the same, welcome to the site.

antihippy
July 28th 2007

yeah, this is a pretty good first review.

don't like CoC though.

Fort23
July 28th 2007

Good first review. You might want to change the pros and cons when you say "Great instrumentation, especially guitar" for a pro, and then for a con you say "Somewhat simplistic guitar". Still a nice review (voted).This Message Edited On 07.28.07

July 28th 2007

hah, I meant to say somewhat simplistic drums
thanks for pointing that out and thanks for the coments

tribestros
July 28th 2007

Nice first review and yes, this album is great.

jrowa001
July 28th 2007

great review. excellent album as well. have you read Cladio's Amory Wars yet? i got the first 2 already and i liked them, its cool to see his story played out through a comic book. waiting for the 3rd issue

TheStarclassicTreatment

Rhythm vocals, guitar

That made me laugh, you may want to look at changing that.
Otherwise great review, great album.

Riziger

good first review.

i love this band. sad thing i can't get any of their comics/art where i live.

Cravinov13
July 28th 2007

Liek the band, dislike this album. IMO it's the worst.

Thanks TheStarclassicTreatment, I didn't notice that

@Craniov- What didn't you like about it?

Cravinov13
July 28th 2007

Everything except tracks 2 and 3 failed to introduce anything worth listening too. Musically it's their weakest and overall has no solid foundation to back up on.

This doesn't have enough riffage for my tastes

Otisbum

1912 Comments

Nice first review.

Great album, though it hasn't stuck with me as quickly as Good Apollo has.

Dulcinea

This doesn't have enough riffage for my tastes

lol

Otisbum

1912 Comments

@Sonic: You still can, you'd have the only review giving this a 4.

Fort23
July 28th 2007

Ye ayou should review this sonic. It would be a big change from what you usually review.

Confessed2005
August 1st 2007

I may review this in the future too. I've listened through this so many times and it really is quite a magical album, even better when you know the background story of The Amory Wars.