Killwhitneydead
Inhaling the Breath of a Bullet

by Luke M. Jenkins (Confessed) USER (58 Reviews)
July 25th, 2007 | 29 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Fourteen minutes. Instead of furiously masturbating or ringing that special someone, get a copy of Inhaling the Breath of a Bullet and succumb to the morbid brutality of this unique and interesting grindcore/metalcore outfit.

Fourteen minutes. There are many ways you could choose to spend that amount of time - when we need to kill time, there are a variety of different activities one could pursue. From reading to doing something creative such as writing or drawing. To more mundane or ill acts such as smalltalk with others or masturbation. Inane introduction aside, I prefer to kill periods of my time listening to music. When boredom beckons me forth with it's wizened hands and I end up succumbing to it, I often turn to music. Killwhitneydead's LP Inhaling the Breath of a Bullet is a short affair, with a total playing time not exceeding anything above fifteen minutes. Nine hundred seconds...

Some people may be thinking how could something so short provide so much entertainment and be worthy of a 4.5 rating. Killwhitneydead were never a band to make long drawn out songs; their sound could be described as a mix of metalcore and grindcore. But what makes the band so unique is their obsession for the inclusion of samples, particularly quotes from various films. In fact, the samples are what makes the band so damn interesting. As many as two or three could be used in one track - at first I thought this gimmick would make the band a one trick pony. But obviously it had some positive effect on me because I went and downloaded more of their material. In fact, I've now got their whole discography.

But what makes this album so great besides all the quirky samples? Another thing that makes the band good is that they certainly know how to play their instruments. Throughout, there are small burst of virtuoso playing, particularly from the guitars. Opening track If It Ain't Johnny Cash, It Ain't Country showcases brutal chugging riffs that are well crafted. They incorporate speed, brutality and remain tasteful. Some of the riffs are actually really catchy. Hey, I'm describing the second track - that's another thing. The tracks move damn quick - before you know it, the whole thing will have infiltrated your skull and devoured your brain.

Blastbeats and quirky sweep picking are two things that strike you in the track Another Tragic Case of the Rock Star Syndrome. Amongst the vocal carnage, there is evidence that the band bloody well know how to write good riffs and join them all together to form good songs. Song structures are neither complex nor simplistic - they move logically and make sense, which is good enough. The samples really do add to the atmosphere the band create. When using the term atmosphere, I'm not talking about epic. I'd say, more dark, moody...at points, disturbing. Riffs used in one song may pop up in others; this may sound as if the band are rehashing their ideas but in fact, it actually works. Its Like Eating A Little Piece of Jesus (A Murderer's Communion) is another standout track - crazy riffs, brutal chugging and ridiculously OTT vocal stylings. Everything the band is about then, really.

If you want an example of almost comical use of talent, check out Is That My Blood or Hers?. After a great vocal delivery, your ears are bombarded with a guitar break that wouldn't be out of place in a PsyOpus outing. American Psycho fans are also likely to drawn to this; three tracks feature little monologues delivered by the character Patrick Bateman. It seems amongst the extreme music community, American Psycho is most certainly a popular film. Penultimate track Killwhitneydead. Vs. The River Bottom Nightmare Band features a great groove riff - sublime stuff. The album closes on a high note too - seemingly out of place riffs are coupled with blastbeats and crazy speed. By the time you have said Jack Robinson, the album is over and the immortal words of Patrick Bateman are left ringing in your ears...

...I think my mask of sanity, is about to slip

Recommended Tracks
If It Ain't Johnny Cash, It Ain't Country
Another Tragic Case of the Rockstar Syndrome
Is That My Blood Or Hers?
Killwhitneydead. Vs. The River Bottom Nightmare Band

War from a Harlots Mouth MMXPig Destroyer Terrifyer
War from a Harlots Mouth TransmetropolitanDevil Sold His Soul A Fragile Hope
Coheed and Cambria No World for TomorrowPig Destroyer Painter of Dead Girls

IsItLuck?

BOLD IS POWERFUL

i'll read this later after I get some work done here. hahah

read it, pretty good review, some songs sound the same the way you describe it. This Message Edited On 07.25.07

Two-Headed Boy
July 25th 2007

That is a pretty terrible band name.

July 25th 2007

Yeah actually the name of this band has turned me off from ever wanting to check them. I thought this was gonna be generic metalcore but sounds promising.

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss

July 25th 2007

i think my g/f would kill me if i listened to this band. ive heard a few songs from them and it wasnt too bad. good review

Cravinov13
July 25th 2007

I think they live in my local area. I'm not sure. Havn't heard a lot but liked what I heard.

July 25th 2007

I must say they are pretty good.

encmetalhead
July 25th 2007

have you heard the 2 CD from this year? blows everythig this band has done out of the water

July 25th 2007

I have indeed and yeah, it is really good stuff. I may possibly review it in the future. This is still some quality metal/grindcore.

Pebster49
July 26th 2007

They guys are hella good, but I think they got progressively better from this.

because your girlfriends name is Whitney? :S

July 26th 2007

Yeah, I think that is the case, I saw it on another KwD thread.

I must admit, a name is only a name, but theirs is a slightly odd one. Superb band though, their whole discography is worth a listen. Thanks for the pos votes by the way, whoever voted.

Fort23
July 26th 2007

Looks like some pretty cool stuff. Nice review as well.

because your girlfriends name is Whitney? :S

ur a genius haha. yeah, im sure she'll understand that its just a name, but at first...boy ill be in trouble haha. i voted

Thanks man.

Luckily my girlfriend has a name that IMO wouldn't make a great one for any form of metal band...

I hope.

July 26th 2007

^^is her name Dave?? haha....

July 26th 2007

lol good review btw, i'll vote

LifeInABox
July 26th 2007

This sounds cool, but Metalcore/Grind?

July 26th 2007

Yeah, it is quite an odd mix.

lol jrowa. No, her name is Katie.

July 26th 2007

There's a metalcore band called Catherine, close.

LifeInABox
July 26th 2007

And they suck. Go figure.