ZOX is a band from Providence, Rhode Island that I recommend to any music lover. They sound like Sublime meets Dave Matthews;mixing punk, reggae, rock and classical; which adds up to a very unique sound. Their weapon in the band is their violin, played by Spencer Swain. This can be seen in most tracks, especially "Canon", an all-instrumental track. ZOX also has very well-written lyrics, like in "Ode To The Mountain Pirates" "raise your cups mountain pirates/let's stop and have a drink/ and observe a moment's silence/we all need some time to think."
As I said before, the music styles actually vary very much, "Homebody" being pop-punk, "Ghostown" being ska, "Rain On Me" being alternative, "The Squid" being reggae, and "Butterfly" being rock. Some essential tracks are "Ode to the Mountain Pirates", "Canon", "Stupid Song", "Ghostown", "Leaving Me", and hell, pretty much all of the tracks. This is ZOX's first full-length album, and they have definitely proved themselves.
Here's some more CD info:
1. The Squid- an upbeat mix of reggae and punk. You can see Spencer's talent on the violin. "it's friday night and I'm tired of searching for this life/ the weeks been cruel to me, I just want to feel alright"
2. Butterfly- a fast-paced rock song with very catchy lyrics. "I tried little butterfly to protect you/but it was asking for disaster and I guess it's just the way it goes"
3. Ghostown- a ska song. Probably the best on the album. "I never wanna leave this ghostown"
4. Goodbye To You- begins with an eerie, catchy violin part. Eli Miller sings "you know i hate to say goodbye to you/but it feels like its the only thing that i can do" Towards the end there's a very cool bass part.
5. Leaving Me- great song about a breakup. "I'm so tired of writing sad songs/but my mind's on misery.
6. Ode to the Mountain Pirates- a very fun song. If you read the lyrics you can actually get a good laugh. I don't know what was on his mind when he wrote this, but it is lityerally an ode to the mountain pirates.
7. Rain On Me- mix of alternative and reggae. "please don't let it rain on me/because I realize I can't rely on you for what I need"
8. Homebody- a pop-punk track. "it's so hot outside that I could fry an egg/ but I'm eating taco bell and getting high instead"
9.Delicious- great song. It's very fast-paced and fun. "there must have been an angel inside my room/there must have been a smile somewhere inside your star tatoo"
10. Stupid Song- a fun song. "all I wanna do is write a stupid song/write a three line chorus, you could sing along/and if it feels so good until it's done will you love me"
11. Cincos Ojos- guitar track
12. Starry Night- probably the most catchy lyrics on the album. "standing in the half light of the morning/watching shadows lace across my shoes"
13. Canaon- a cover of a classical song woth a ska beat. This is an all instrumental track that ZOX is known for. It really shows off Spencer's violin skills.
14. Eventually- starts off with a really nice, peaceful guitar part. "baby you won't be/part of my fantasy/cause i can't sit around and wait until eventually/let me take you home/and watch your garden grow/a little closer and I'll make it so you can't say no"
ZOX is pronounced as a word zox not as three seperate letters.
Eli Miller: Guitar; lead vocals
Spencer Swain: Violin;vocals
Dan Edinberg: Bass;vocals
John Zox: Drums;percussion