Converge
Petitioning the Empty Sky

by GleamInRanks USER (16 Reviews)
July 20th, 2007 | 40 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A thrashier Converge shows the musicanship and orginality of a band with twice the experience.

Measuring up to the overall aggression and emotion Converge displays throughout each and every album is a worthy task. Seldom do I listen to a bands record and believe they match Converge's songwriting sense or their highly advanced musicianship. The scary part about the band is that they have managed to stay the premier act in metalcore for over fifteen years. The distinctive sound Converge has pioneered and constantly toyed with over the years still remains original, even with the recent metalcore explosion. Even with the unstable beginnings of the bands early members, Converge have always been able to find various tones and sounds while still retaining their own brand of hardcore. This creativity is as evident as ever on Converge's second album, Petitioning the Empty Sky. Originally released in 1998 and re-released on 2005, Petitioning the Empty Sky is certainly among the bands greatest albums. While not having the unreal cohesiveness of Jane Doe, the songs on Petitioning... can be listened to individually and still be enjoyed. The album feels like an amazing collection of songs instead of a full fledged album.

The aggressive nature of Converge is displayed perfectly in the album opener, "The Saddest Day". The track is complete chaos but the band manages to keep everything together. Converge also makes known that their music isn't easy on the ears by any means whatsoever. Ear piercing guitar and a pounding rhythm are staples throughout the song. Even being seven minutes long, almost unheard of in metalcore, not a single moment of the track is boring. Gradually increasing in speed, the breakdown of "The Saddest Day" is the musical highlight of the track. A quick tremolo picked riff and a noisy "solo" set the track up for a clean guitar passage with the off-key singing. The stamina and genius that is shown through the entire song by the band worthy of praise. Many of the songs on Petitioning... utilize the same aggression that is apparent on "The Saddest Day". "Color Me Blood Red" establishes a frightening mood with the guitar work in the intro. The rhythm section is as strong as ever having to deal with the technical guitar riffing. The split second pauses and tempos changes keep "Color Me Blood Red" unpredictable and one of many standout tracks. On top of the studio recorded tracks on Petitioning..., the album features three tracks recorded from a radio appearance. Here, the listener is able to witness the aggression of the music in a live setting. Every instrument is cleanly heard and the vocals are just as heartfelt. The re-released version of this album also includes a different version of "Love Is Arson", a track that was originally on When Forever Comes Crashing. The only difference I was able to notice was that the recording is brighter on Petitioning... but it is still worth a listen.

Providing much of the emotion and aggression that is in Converge's music is the vocalist, Jacob Bannon (not that the band doesn't). His manic screaming creates incredible tension in some songs while in others, his off-key singing gives off the impression that he is mourning. "Dead" is a prime example of his singing being used well. Bannon forces out a painful "You never loved me/I cannot lie down in that bed". The slowest song on the entire album, "Farewell Note To This City" gives us a look at the rather calm version of Converge. Calming harmonics are played on the guitar while the bass takes center stage with a fitting riff. Exploding at the halfway point "Farewell Note To This City" changes into a straightforward hardcore song with a simple progression. It should also be noted that Bannon is an excellent lyricist. Even though most of his lyrics deal with love lost or love that has become aloof, all of the songs are well put together (you'll probably have to read them because understanding his scream is near impossible).

For a hardcore album, Petitioning the Empty Sky sure displays quite the array of emotions. Whether Converge is going all out and playing unthinkably intense or if they are restrained and more concerned with melody, they are always unpredictable. The album isn't as well thought out a later releases from Converge would suggest (specifically Jane Doe) but Petitioning the Empty Sky is still one of the bands best. Combining the technical aspect of metal and the aggression of hardcore, this album destroys most other metalcore releases, past and present. Any fan of Converge should pick this up immediately.

Rosetta Wake/LiftSnapcase Progression Through Unlearning
Pelican City of EchoesIon Dissonance Minus the Herd
These Arms Are Snakes EasterSparklehorse Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain

July 20th 2007

Great album. Great review. When Forever Comes Crashing is better than this though.

July 20th 2007

Nah, this is their best album. Nice review.

July 20th 2007

Thanks. I still don't see how this is their best album though...This Message Edited On 07.20.07

plane

It's their second best.

Good review.This Message Edited On 07.20.07

July 20th 2007

Please don't say Jane Doe is their best. That's their 3rd best imo.

plane

jane doe is their best

Wizard

19607 Comments

Gleam, awesome review but such a horrible sounding album IMO. I just can't see how these guys are considered amazing. But this has been said before so I will shut my mouth before the Converge fanboys attack me.

"The aggressive nature of Converge is displayed perfectly in the album opener, "The Saddest Day". The track is complete chaos but the band manages to keep everything together".
This is the part of Converge I really dont understand.

Digging: Full Of Hell & Merzbow - Full Of Hell & Merzbow

July 20th 2007

It's understandable that you don't like Converge, it's not for everybody and it took a rather long time for me to even like them.

July 20th 2007

ignore hbp, he once tried to tell us converge didnt use breakdowns.

wizard, have you heard saddest day? or this album? it's a lot thrashier than their later stuff.This Message Edited On 07.20.07

July 20th 2007

No word twister, I said they don't use "chugga chugga" type riffs that we usually classify as breakdowns.

July 20th 2007

[quote=hbp]Some idiot was trying to argue with me about Converge using breakdowns. Needless to say I won. Converge has maybe 1 breakdown in all 7 of their albums. And it isn't even really a profound breakdown.[/quote]

BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 20th 2007

seriously though this album rules. wizard i still think you should try a song out.

That.

July 20th 2007

HPB is just a driveling idiot. For me, it's Jane Doe>No Heroes>When Forever Comes Crashing>Petitioning>The Poacher Diaries>You Fail Me>Unloved and Weeded Out>Caring and Killing.

Cravinov13
July 20th 2007

You're a driviling idiot! No Heros is not second to Jane Doe!

July 20th 2007

:eek: When did that happen. Well thanks to whoever approved me.This Message Edited On 07.20.07

July 20th 2007

Crav, you are a nublet if you think that No Heroes is better or something. Jane Doe is one of the most complete albums ever. It's so close to being perfect, and definitely classic in my book.

Dulcinea
July 20th 2007

I'm pretty sure he meant that they have other albums better than No Heroes. As in, Jane Doe is the best but No Heroes is not second.

Jom
July 20th 2007

Gleam: you're very welcome. DFelon is really high on you for your music tastes, but I don't care about that. I'm more concerned about your writing, which has been truly excellent, and assuming you don't leave the site abruptly, I see no reason why you shouldn't get the rub. Just keep up the good work, is all.
Anyway, I put this album as my second or third favorite in their discography... it kind of rotates between that and No Heroes between the two and three spot. Sue me.