This Ending
Inside the Machine

1.0
awful

by Eric E. Smith USER (9 Reviews)
July 19th, 2007 | 7 replies | 1,262 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This Ending..... well.... I hope they just end!

By: Eric Smith (www.thrashpit.com)

I really wanted to like this band. Upon the first few riffs of the song "Seed of Destruction" I was impressed by just how "punchy" this record sounded. As far as getting just enough bite in the guitars while keeping the bass audible, Nirbrant and crew have done a stellar job! As a bass player, I cannot tell you how much it irritates me when I cannot hear the bass guitar in any modern metal recording. There is absolutely no excuse for it to be put back in the mix.

As one continues to listen to this record a glaring flaw becomes apparent. Underneath all that crisp production are bland, sometimes mid-tempo, riffs, one-dimensional vocals (which a lot of melodeath is known for) and cliché "h8tred" lyrics that make Carnal Forge look like the poet laureate of Scandinavia. I swear, these have to be some of THE most boring lyrics ever burned onto disk!

This Ending's greatest crime, however, is that they do not bring anything new to the table. Fans of Carnal Forge and Nightrage might get a kick out of this, but I severely doubt it. The sad thing is even those bands offer more substance on one song than This Ending does in one album's worth of material. This is for fans of mediocre Gothenburg melodeath ONLY.

Impious Holy Murder MasqueradeMastodon Blood Mountain
Amorphis EclipseThe Berzerker Animosity
Abigail Williams LegendAkercocke Antichrist
3.2
good
Crimson (3.5)
Straight forward melodic death metal done very well, with a powerful punch and a dark, modern feel t...

kalkal50
July 19th 2007

Too short and not much detail, use the sound off feature.

Crimson

1935 Comments

I like this album. I didn't like this review, I'm not against other peoples opinions as long as they are explained, and yours wasn't.This Message Edited On 07.19.07

Crysis
July 19th 2007

This is what you get by writing 9 reviews in one day. Terrible review.

Digging: Katatonia - Kocytean

Aficionado
July 19th 2007

You should really get a mod to make some of your reviews into soundoffs. Most of your reviews have been sound-offs, not really a review.

rattlehead42147
July 19th 2007

very short, no detail. this should be a soundoff.
stick to the way you reviewed the amorphis album, that was much better.This Message Edited On 07.20.07

Shadows
July 20th 2007

I like this album. It certainly doesn't deserve a 1, and you completely failed at explaining why you rated it as such. Playing a style that isn't exactly revolutionary doesn't make it a colossal, despicable failure.

FR33L0RD
July 20th 2007

Too short review ...my neg vote

Indeed...a staff_mod should "sound off" this reviewThis Message Edited On 07.20.07