American Football
American Football EP

by The Katz brothers USER (183 Reviews)
July 11th, 2007 | 27 replies

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: American Football's debut EP is short and chock full of brilliant guitar and poignant lyrics.

The sound that comes out of American Football’s amps is just about as good a clean guitar tone as there is in the world. The actual playing is technical, but in a very subtle way; everything flows like a liquid, heavy with reverb. Singer Mike Kinsella’s voice and lyrics are very much the same way: subtly brilliant. At first, his voice almost seems more like an instrument, the lyrics are almost an afterthought, as they are far from hooky and delivered in such a fashion that one really has to pay attention to piece full lines together. During a section of Letters and Packages sparsely populated by anything other than soft drums, he sings As a result of my history I'm afraid I'll let you down. If only we were older in a tone that almost sends chills to one’s spine.

With American Football you can kind of zone out, after a while everything blends together in a really relaxing way, and still find yourself enjoying the music. But, when you string together Kinsella’s words, and hear the full sentences, you find out exactly how brilliant and poignant American Football really is. This EP is short, three tracks in less than 12 minutes, but is well worth it if you find yourself enjoying their LP. The songs aren’t the same, but they could easily all fit together on one disc. And what a disc that would be.

-Dan

The Max Levine Ensemble OK SmartypantsAIDS Wolf Cities of Glass
Bloc Party IntimacyThe Cool Kids The Bake Sale
Madvillain Madvillainy 2: The Madlib RemixYip-Yip Two Kings of the Same Kingdom

American Football

The Jungler
July 11th 2007

Really short review, really short EP.

Fort23
July 11th 2007

Great review, nice little ep.

tom79
July 11th 2007

I really like their full length, so I might check this out. First paragraph was a good description of the sound.

Digging: Business Models - Room

pixiesfanyo
July 11th 2007

I really don't like this.

Fort23
July 11th 2007

Do you like the band at all?

BringHomeTheBacon
July 11th 2007

This band is addicting to me. This is a really great EP, I'd give it a 4 if it were slightly longer.

Cadaveric
July 11th 2007

great ep, even better band. like everyone else said the only fault is it's length, but it is an ep

br3ad_man
July 11th 2007

I've only got the album. There's plenty of copies of this going on ebay for like 99 cents though so I should get it.

plane
July 12th 2007

More description on individual tracks (even just one) and maybe a few more lyrical examples might have rounded off the review better.

also, what is your emaail? this is the third place i've asked.This Message Edited On 07.11.07

ValiumMan
July 14th 2007

Worst band name ever.

skingle
July 15th 2007

I didn't even know this existed. I'll check it out. Thanks, good review, short but informative enough.

Iamthe Nightstars
October 7th 2007

I gotta agree that American Football is a dumb band name, but they are amazing. Letters And Packages never gets old

Digging: Few And Far Between - Three

IsItLuck?
December 2nd 2008

this is a reallyyyy good EP

charlesfishtitz
February 9th 2009

reminder: this band rules

Iamthe Nightstars
February 15th 2010

Has to be one of the best ep's that I've ever heard. Even though it's only three songs they're all so great in different ways.

trippinonthizz
January 23rd 2012

hey man, i really like this review. you described their sound perfectly. especially when you said that the lyrics are like an afterthought to the music. so true.

DinoX

I'm sure he'll be pleased to know you liked his 5 year old review

trippinonthizz
January 23rd 2012

lol failed to notice emeritus status....i derped.

Spec
July 8th 2012

Gotta check. Love their other one so much just got it on vinyl.

July 8th 2012