Nick Drake
Pink Moon

by sonictheplumber STAFF USER (107 Reviews)
July 9th, 2007 | 26 replies

Release Date: 1972 | Tracklist

Simplicity is a wonderful thing. Many musicians take this element and stick to it. Just look at bands like KISS and AC/DC. All they've ever done is simple songs, and look at where they are in life. But what does this all have to do with the man Nick Drake? His third and final outing, Pink Moon, has to be one of the simplest albums I have ever heard in my life. The album is barely a half-hour long, and it contains no drums and no bass. It is just Nick Drake, one man, singing into a microphone and playing simple, melodic riffs on his acoustic guitar. I thought for sure that this album would be a snooze-fest, but wrong I certainly was.

Eleven tracks have their place on Pink Moon, and all of these songs sound similar. You can't get much variety from track to track when it is just one man, with one instrument. But there's one thing you can get: Beauty. The whole album is soft, melodic, upbeat, and beautiful. Dark Side Of The Moon is often regarded as some of the best music to go to sleep to, but Pink Moon would be the album of choice for me. Am I saying that this is a boring album? Of course not, but this is the album to listen to if you want to enjoy a good night's sleep.

Some songs, such as "Things Behind The Sun" and "Parasite", put off a melancholy feel, as these two are the darkest tracks...musically. As Rolling Stone magazine said, if the music on Pink Moon was as dark as the lyrics, it might not be such a pleasure to listen to. And I thoroughly agree with this statement. Drake's vocals are deep and it is sometimes difficult to make out exactly what is being said. So one cannot make out the dark lyrics sometimes, and his beautiful strumming disguises the darkness.

This is for sure a classic album, but it does not go without flaw. "Horn" is an instrumental interlude that lasts a couple of seconds, and it is the only track that can be considered filler. It is meant to add some variety to the album, but it's really just pointless. And at first, Drake's vocals sound odd and deep, but one gets used to them, and will begin to enjoy them. Every song is short and sweet, and I wouldn't want it any other way. However, some may think that the shortness of the songs is repetitive, but I certainly don't think this way.

Besides "Horn", every single track on the album has high quality. The title track has the most variety out of all of the other songs, due to the fact that our boy Nick plays a short, but fitting piano part. "Road" happens to be one of the stand-out tracks for me. Musically, is it any different from the other songs? The answer is no, not really. But this has a certain charm to it that just draws me in. Another favorite track of mine is the simple and soothing "Which Will", which sounds similar to the previous highlight I mentioned, but it has a far more upbeat and cheerful feel to it. The lyrics are simple, the guitar is simple, everything is simple and happy.

Overall, Nick Drake's Pink Moon is a beautiful album. Technically, it has no flaws, except for "Horn". I should definitely give it full marks for this, but I feel that I just can't. I may when I hear the other two albums in Drake's discography, but until then, my score for this would be around a 4.2, possibly 4.3. But still, I highly recommend it, for it is sometimes upbeat, sometimes depressing and melancholy, but regardless of whatever mood a certain song has, Pink Moon is beautiful all the way through.

4.2/5

Sieges Even Life CycleKorpiklaani Ukon Wacka
Thergothon Stream From The HeavensThe Obsessed Lunar Womb
Saint Vitus Mournful CriesKate Bush The Kick Inside

tom79
July 9th 2007

Horn is really good. If theres any filler, I would say its Know, which is still good.

Essential album. Horn is left out of the tracklist btw.

Digging: Bent Outta Shape - Bent Outta Shape

MrKite
July 9th 2007

This was an okay review. With Nick I would have preffered some lyrics quotes and a bit more detail. I would say Nick is an artist whose lyrics are hugely important to the music.

If theres any filler, I would say its Know, which is still good.

I agree with this statement. I was surprised you chose Horn as the filler track.This Message Edited On 07.09.07

Two-Headed Boy

Album kicks ass.

July 9th 2007

Still a good review, realy great album though I haven't rated any of his albums yet.

Bron-Yr-Aur

alright review

great album

i do. im special.This Message Edited On 07.09.07

well this album is more than a 4

it has no flaws
its just the right length
it influenced every singer-songwriter or folk musician after its time
how is it not classic

WELL FINE YOUR MOTHER HAS HERPES

Tis very good.

July 9th 2007

well both. the review is too tight you need to loosten up though its still very good.

ok. just a suggestion.

July 9th 2007

have you heard this fort

Yes I downloaded it. Why you ask?This Message Edited On 07.09.07

samthebassman
July 9th 2007

There is no filler on this album.

If ever you ever wanted label an album "Classic", then this is the album.

July 9th 2007

Yes I downloaded it. Why you ask?

Because at first you said you bought it
make up your mind

jrowa001
July 9th 2007

this is definitely a classic for me even though i like FLL better. just everything about nick drake is amazing: lyrics, presentation, guitar playing, and composition

La Revolucion
July 9th 2007

due to the fact that our boy Nick plays a short, but fitting piano part

THATS OUR BOY

Ephex
July 10th 2007

what happened to the album rating font?

IT GOT BETTER!

MrKite
July 11th 2007

Hey, sonic, have you heard Five Leaves Left?