The Red Paintings
Feed the Wolf

by Alex Silveri EMERITUS
July 4th, 2007 | 19 replies | 12,657 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Oh the poor Red Paintings.

It’s not like they don’t try, it really isn’t. Their music is spectacularly good, their live sets are show-stoppers, they’ve played with bands like The White Stripes, Sigur Ros and the Beastie Boys in their almost decade long career and yet still, still, McSweeny and co. still have to drag themselves from album to album (or EP to EP in any case), struggling just to get enough cash to make it to the next one. But y’know what? Thank god for that. Their latest, (the 7th in a long lineage of EPs), Feed the Wolf, is another dip into the musical waters of The Red Paintings, another taste of what could be one of the landmark debuts the in Australian indie scene, The Revolution is Never Coming, due out sometime, sometime late this year. And if it’s anything to go by, well, the band seems to be heading in the right direction at least. Feed the Wolf isn’t the moving wonder that was Walls, nor as catchy and exciting as Destroy the Robots, but it still retains all the elements that make the Red Paintings one of the most exciting bands out there in the Australian landscape today.

Feed the Wolf, for all the great songs on it, nevertheless plays like a bit of a mess – with two renditions of the same song, two covers and nearly ten minutes of silence and filler in the last track, it definitely doesn’t flow like an album, which, coupled with an approach that ditches one-stop-love-affair songs (Who in their right mind couldn’t swoon in their spot after listening to Walls and their cover of Mad World?) for ones that take time to fully appreciate, it certainly isn’t an album made to be a first-time introduction to the Paintings. The music here is a more mature act, with rhythms and melodies that aren’t as straightforward as their previous works, but still in the same vein of the sprawling, haunting musical tapestries that the Paintings create. There’s something beautiful about the way the band blends in a violin and cello together with traditional rock n’ roll instruments, using them to create this wicked layers of quasi-orchestral arrangements of the type of which Yellowcard could only be envious of. It’s not the lush instrumentation that could be expected of a band like the Trail of Dead either, but a more delicate and ultimately more striking sound.

The opener and title track, Feed the Wolf, hurls just about everything the Red Paintings are at you from the start, with the distant cries of wolves breaking into a beating melody of guitars and violin compliment, a swaying, almost ethereal musical passage as Trash’s desperate and haunting delivery (I can’t emphasize enough just how fitting is voice is for the music) riles against the emptiness of… something - the lyrics as vague as they are interesting. If Feed the Wolf is a display of the passion of the Paintings, Sing (A Dresden Dolls Cover) and We Belong in the Sea are expositions of their beauty, with both songs nearly overwhelming in their emotional intensity – it’s hard not to get caught up and sucked in, but it’s the sort of thing the band does amazingly well, even if neither song really leaves the sort of deep emotional stroke that makes for masterpieces.

All that aside, if a trophy could be given to a band with the most perfect covers ever, it would have to go to the Red Paintings. We saw it on the Walls EP with their cover of Mad World - here; the Dresden Dolls’ Sing and Nick Cave’s Mercy Seat are redone to near perfection. The original Mercy Seat was a seven minute trudge of a repetitive melody, while here the Paintings have turned it into five minutes of an epic trembling wave, building itself from a slow piano introduction and ending in a hail of torrential drumming and blinding fierceness. Sing – one of my personal favorite Dolls songs – makes an appearance here as a tribute of thanks for a six week tour with them, with a well placed lyric change thrown in for good measure too: ‘The Dolls invited you anyway’ sings Trash (original line: We’re inviting you anyway…).

The last song on the album (ignoring the radio edit version of Feed the Wolf), A Pack Of Wolves In The Year 3013, is the Red Paintings at their most experimental, sampling off their own Destroy the Robots together with an appearance by ‘Lionel the Opera man’ (Who?? I have no idea, but that’s his name), who sings… well… Italian opera over the top of the song. Weird? Yes. Awesome? Definitely. And so ends Feed the Wolf – and while I hesitate to call it an experimental album (The Paintings have never been ones to hold back with the music), the band seems to have approached the record from a more unorthodox standpoint then their previous works, pushing themselves in creating ever more varied and speckled music, even if they don’t quite pack the punch they did on their earlier albums. If they can blend what they did here with the magic of their earlier album, ill die a happy man. In the meantime though, another solid record for us. Yay!

3.7/5

Finch (US) EpilogueThe Saddest Landscape You Will Not Survive
How to Dress Well Love RemainsLydia Assailants
Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse Dark Night of the SoulM.I.A. Maya

July 4th 2007

ZOMG not a negative review!

This was really hard for me to review, i don't know why. Anyway, gogogo comment.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

July 4th 2007

I wanted to be the first person to review it but then again I don't even have it. I'll review the DVD when I actually bother to get it.

jrowa001
July 4th 2007

good review. this is my least fav red paintings albums even though its still pretty good. i really hate when a band puts 2 versions of a song or has like a radio edit

Jom
July 4th 2007

Very disappointing to read that this album is underwhelming, but I appreciate your honesty and objectivity. I'm still going to try to seek this out somewhere, because a poor TRP EP is probably better than any other band's EP.

July 4th 2007

Yea, you're both right - thats the thing, its still really good on its own, but compared to their previous works, its a bit of a let down.

MeowMeow
July 5th 2007

I listened to this a few times and I just couldn't dig it. I much prefer what I've heard of Walls EP.

eug008
July 18th 2007

I liked this EP quite a bit, Sing, We Belong In The Sea and Mercy Seat are amazing.

July 18th 2007

I hope a few of these get on their album. At least Mercy Seat mainly because it shows diversity with the piano plus its awesome. I think its a huge improvement on Destroy the Robots, which was controlled by the label a lot. Trash said that in an interview.

July 18th 2007

Really? I liked Destroy the Robots better, but tbh i can see someone liking this album a whole lot. It really is a grower.

July 18th 2007

I fell in love with it the first time so, I guess each to his own.

FlawedPerfection
August 1st 2007

I wonder how the cover of Mercy Seat compares with Johnny Cash's cover...

Either way, Walls is awesome, so I want this.

AtavanHalen
August 19th 2007

I truly love this band, they are amazing.

Amen to that bro.

August 19th 2007

The doco is pretty cool. I'll watch it again and review it. At least it will give me an excuse to watch it again and something to do.

Also is Mercy Seat really a cover of a Johnny Cash cover? This Message Edited On 08.19.07

PeEpHoLe_10
October 21st 2007

Mercy Seat is soooo good. Overall a bit of a let down,but still a great EP. CANNOT wait for the debut album.

Spectrum
October 26th 2007

Holy freaking crap "Feed the Wolf" is so gosh darn good. I can't believe I only just listened to it today! More music that I need! Great review, mate.

rasputin
November 17th 2007

Walls is much better IMO. I liked this, but not to the extent of Walls; it doesn't have anything really killer on it. Good review.

razedtotheground
March 20th 2009

so psyched for the full-length

Digging: Mouth of the Architect - Quietly

Captain North
July 3rd 2009

I've only heard We Belong to the Sea, but it's incredible in it's emotional effect. But...what's with their shitty final tracks?