Novembers Doom
The Novella Reservoir

by Buzz Killington USER (10 Reviews)
July 3rd, 2007 | 7 replies | 1,821 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Even though I've only discovered November's Doom recently, I have to say they are really a great band.

To be honest, I didn’t expect anything extravagant when I found this kicking around the Music Store, but when I heard Rain, I thought that this might have some potential. I was expecting something a lot like Opeth, but there are some major differences, one of them being the atmosphere in these songs. In these songs, the atmosphere is gloomy, but at the same time, it’s also quite haunting. Another indispensable difference is that there is a hell of a lot less acoustic, with the exception of a few songs, like the title track, and Twilight Innocence.

What I really found appealing is the great, sophisticated musicianship throughout the album. They have blended death metal (without the gory themed lyrics) with progressive rock, and a damn fine job they did. They backed it up with an atmosphere that differs themselves from Opeth, and I mean vastly differed themselves.

One of the things I didn’t like is how they have such amazing introductions in the songs and most of the time the songs immensely changed after 45 seconds or so. Not that it’s bad, but it doesn’t sound like it’s the same song, unless they reused some key elements from the start of the song, and when they do, it’s only for a few seconds, and they did this frequently.

I also wasn’t very fond of some of the lyrics either. For example…

Becoming one with madness, a chaos to embrace
struggling for my sanity, clear skies turning grey

Even though some songs has it’s high points lyrics wise, there are some that are just plain weird.

The intro to the album is such a heavy start to the album. Oh, this song is a good example of a drastically changed song. The chorus (if you can consider it a chorus) is quite unusual, because it sounds a demonic whisper

”Raaaaaiiiinnnn….

The second song, which is quite possibly the best song on the album, is The Novella Reservoir. It starts off with some easy-to-listen acoustic, followed by heavy guitars with some violins (I’m pretty sure they’re violins) to make the atmosphere of the song top notch, and again with the change (sorry if I keep overusing that).

The third song didn’t do a whole lot to stand out. It’s good, but for the most part, it’s another brick in the wall, so feel free to skip this one over to the fourth song. Another one of my favorites, known as Twilight Innocence. It is strictly a soft song, so if you feel like you’re in need of some soothing music, you’ll know what to have playing out of your headphones.

I don’t know if there’s anything else that needs to be discussed. Although there is the album closer. It’s like the fourth song, only with heavy guitars at the chorus and the verses are somewhat spoken word, so it’ll be unusual to some. It’s the longest song on the album, lasting 7 minutes long.

While this band shares qualities with Opeth, these guys have a few qualities of their own. A must buy if you ask me.

Cannibal Corpse The BleedingAFI AFI
Metallica Some Kind of MonsterOur Lady Peace A Decade
Opeth Ghost ReveriesAFI The Days of the Phoenix
hankdee27 (4)
Seemingly unforgiving in it's cruel and viscous assault against the listener....

Shattered_Future (4.5)
Novembers Doom drop the Opeth worship riffs for the most part and break out the drop A. The result i...

Foodforthegods (4.5)

Unreal
July 3rd 2007

opeth like............... I got to check this out, thx.
btw the reviw is a little scetchy... try developing a little more your ideas. but overall its a good effort keep it up

Confessed2005
July 3rd 2007

I can see this review may have been a little rushed.

Novembers Doom are a quality band. They altered their style a little on this from what I have heard (I still need to hear all of it) but it sounds great. The resemblance to Opeth is definitely prominent too.

jrowa001
July 3rd 2007

ok review. i love this album. its one of my favorites. twilight innocence is such a beautiful song musically and lyrically. apparently the singer wrote it about his daughter and how she changed his outlook on life. also on their previous release, Pale Haunt Departure, their song Autumn Reflection is about his daughter. its cool to hear a lighthearted and rather spiritual song from a death/doom metal band. im giving some more listens to their earlier work. im not really liking The Knowing, but To Welcome the Fade is pretty good so far

muchtallerthanu
July 4th 2007

I guess I might have clicked submit too soon.

opeth like............... I got to check this out, thx.
'sall in the review.

July 4th 2007

i like a couple songs from these guys. Swallow the Sun and Daylight Dies are better though

Shattered_Future
July 5th 2007

Daylight Dies is in no way better than these guys.

Review's meh (it's just really weirdly written and a bit short on info), but I love this album. It's amazing that this band could do this much with simple, simple drop A guitar riffs.

Pebster49
November 22nd 2007

"Becoming one with madness, a chaos to embrace
struggling for my sanity, clear skies turning grey"

That actually makes sense, and is pretty interesting. Decent review, agree with the rating.