Darkthrone
Panzerfaust

by K. McNichols USER (16 Reviews)
June 30th, 2007 | 18 replies | 4,401 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Panzerfaust is the epitome of mediocrity.

1994 was a great year for Darkthrone fans. Transilvanian Hunger was released, an album many would claim to be the band's best. Therefore it is understandable that there was great anticipation for its 1995 follow up, Panzerfaust. What kind of record would Darkthrone put out that could possibly top Transilvanian Hunger?

It took me all of about two and a half songs to discover that Panzerfaust wasn't going to be the next Transilvanian Hunger. My first complaint came with Nocturno Culto's vocals. While many claim Panzerfaust features his best vocal work, I am forced to disagree. As usual, they are quite raw, yet for the most part they sound quite uninspired. The style is a definite departure from previous Darkthrone albums, and it was one that I could not find myself enjoying.

The New Sound:
After Transilvanian Hunger, Darkthrone left their long time label Peaceville Records, whom they would replace with Moonfog Productions run by the famed Satyr of Satyricon. Another factor for Darkthrone's sonic evolution up to this point is the exit of Zephyrous, the rhythm guitarist since the band's debut album. Darkthrone claims that Under A Funeral Moon was Zephyrous' last studio contribution.

A major flaw of Panzerfaust is its highly repetitive nature. Black metal often employs repetition to create a dark ambience, yet Darkthrone fails to do this effectively on Panzerfaust. While Darkthrone has always used repetition to their advantage on previous albums (especially Transilvanian Hunger) Panzerfaust seems to fall short of all expectations. But while the album lacks in diversity, it does have a few good qualities. Namely, the riffs. Quintessence (lyrics by Varg Vikernes) features a classic black metal riff, representative of the trademark Norwegian style. But once again, this leads me back to a flaw of the album. The riffs on Panzerfaust are played over and over again, with an average song length of five minutes. What sounds like a great riff becomes agonizingly painful to listen to after about two minutes. The formula for most of the songs is usually a little something like this:

1. Intro/Main Riff
2. Same Riff, In a Different Key
3. Brief change-up Riff
4. Return to #1
5. Fade Out

Although most of the riffs are catchy, it is easy to see where this formula leads to complete boredom. However this only applies to the songwriting. Technicality is nonexistent for Panzerfaust. While Darkthrone can't be called a technical band, their black metal debut A Blaze In the Northern Sky proves that solos can mix with black metal. Darkthrone seems to have forgotten this with the release of Panzerfaust.

It may seem easy to say that one would of course hate this album if they were completely new to black metal. Personally, I like many bands within the genre, such as Burzum, Enslaved, Windir, and of course Darkthrone. But to be completely honest, Panzerfaust is simply average compared to older Darkthrone material. I recommend Darkthrone's more solid material such as A Blaze In the Northern Sky, and then picking this up if you have the interest. The least fulfilling song is Sno Og Granskog (Utferd). This outro track is an attempt at atmostphere as spoken lyrics are played over the sound of a deep horn and Fenriz' drums. This, for me became the absolute low point of the album, and by the time The Hordes of Nebula kicked in I was already constantly checking to see when the songs were over.

Liner Note:
"DARKTHRONE IS CERTAINLY NOT A NAZI-BAND NOR A POLITICAL
BAND, THOSE OF YOU WHO STILL MIGHT THINK SO, YOU CAN
LICK MOTHER MARY'S ASSHOLE IN ETERNITY"

Sleep Terror ParaphileForeign Objects The Undiscovered Numbers And Colors
Candlemass NightfallVader The Art Of War
Cannibal Corpse Gallery of SuicideObituary Cause of Death
Jack Boaden (2)
A horribly average end to the Darkthrone we know and love....

Kyle Ward STAFF (4)
True Norwegian Black Metal...

Tarantino's Tarantulas
June 30th 2007

Good review, though I'm fairly ignorant about Darkthrone.

Silenius
June 30th 2007

Darkthrone is all about repeating riffs over and over again. Transilvanian Hunger's title track repeats the same two riffs for almost 6 minutes. I'd have to disagree with almost everything you said in this review. Back when I got this album 3 years ago I thought about it a lot like you do, just give it time and it'll grow on you. ;)

kalkal50
June 30th 2007

Ouch... well good luck spending 3 years on this Rattle. Good review of unblemished conciseness.

chimera908
June 30th 2007

Good reveiw, short and concise. (Perhaps slightly too short.) I've never really listened to Darkthrone although I've meant to for a while.

Tyler
June 30th 2007

Technicality is nonexistent for Panzerfaust.

black metal
A major flaw of Panzerfaust is its highly repetitive nature.

Eakflanderyof

^^ Haha, 123.This Message Edited On 06.30.07

Cravinov13
June 30th 2007

Cocaine has a point. You as a reviewer need to realize what it is you're listening to before you say something stupid.

Silenius
June 30th 2007

Yes tbh it kinda comes across that you listen to little black metal, which is fine but you can't really say a cd in genre x is bad for displaying all the stylistic traits of genre x.

Wizard

19210 Comments

Good review Rattlehead42147! This album is repeditive as hell and their career is the definition of medocrity.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

rattlehead42147
June 30th 2007

i know what you guys are talking about, especially you cocaine, and good point, however you say repetition and non-technicality is black metal. look at TH. it displays both these traits while still being amazing. this album fails to pull off the ambience.
and i do listen to quite a bit of bm and this really is mediocre, especially compared to windir or enslaved. well, looks like i've got some editing to do crav, although i said nothing stupid at all, just i guess you guys dont get the fact that this cd is nothing special. (well maybe not silenius)

Technicality is nonexistent for Panzerfaust. While

i would have thought that would have been enough for you to see that i understand repetition in black metal.
@the wizard
thanks, although i love Darkthrone's first four albums a lotThis Message Edited On 07.01.07

Cravinov13
June 30th 2007

Darkthrone is not a good example of black metal in any way outside of ABITNS, UAFM, and TH. Their first release is a lot more in the vein of death metal.

rattlehead42147
July 1st 2007

obviously, however euronymous himself claims that soulside journey is black metal because of the lyrics and the image. when black metal was coming out it sounded a lot like death metal, look at deathcrush from mayhem. they hadn't really defined the sound until albums like ABITNS came out.

yes, but then again TH is fucking awesome

thanks for the comments guys i've changed a few things so it doesn't come off like i just started listening to black metalThis Message Edited On 12.18.08

Crysis
October 14th 2007

Just bought this, so far I'm really enjoying it. I think it deserves more than a 2.5....

keysofanxiety
October 20th 2009

Good review, but I think the rating was a little harsh.

fireaboveicebelow
October 20th 2009

if this album was instrumental it would be my favorite

Crysis

Fair enough

Set
November 30th 2009

panzerfaust kicks some serious ass

Meatplow
December 27th 2009

Not bad but pretty unremarkable.