The Decemberists
The Crane Wife

by Clumpy USER (29 Reviews)
June 26th, 2007 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Proggy Folk Music Propelled By Sheer Ambition

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
by Clumpy
---

Colin Meloy has a peculiar fascination with the nineteenth century. As the vocalist and headman for Oregon folk-rock group The Decemberists, Meloy has been crafting accessible music which manages to sound experimental by focusing on forgotten styles and cultures. His themes are rooted firmly in 1800s canon: love, murder, hopeless longing, and death. Especially death. For if classic literature is truly our source, there is no such thing as a happy ending.

The impressive "The Crane Wife" pushes the band into new ground, historically and musically. The plot focuses on the Japanese folk story of the same name I recall hearing as a child. The story is told in reverse order - a peculiar choice which serves successfully to launch a listener into the album and keeps it satisfying on repeated listens. The band takes a page from contemporaries Neutral Milk Hotel and combines two parts of the story into a single track (ninth track "The Crane Wife 1 & 2"), which didn't make sense the first time around either.

The musical ground continues to tread that same tricky ground somewhere between The Cranberries and Joanna Newsom, with a touch of Pink Floyd (quite a slew of influences). Accordions, chimes and organ punctuate the band's civil war ballads and melancholy folk. We saw the band's progressive rock side in EP "The Tain", and the band's prog-rock jamming grows into a monstrous beastie on this album, taking three tracks with it. Awesome second track "The Island" pushes 12 1/2 minutes with a long riff that sounds straight out of "The Wall". Somehow the band manages to make this all sound cohesive - no mean feat for a group known for dark sea shanties.

The Decemberists are an easy band to dismiss in concept, but their music is impossible for a warm-blooded critic to discount. Colin's NPR show-off vocabulary continues unabated (tossing out little morsels like "paragon", "parallex" and "parapet" in a particularly undigestable sentence), but the words are used effectively, not gratuitously. The band still dons nineteenth-century period costumes for photo shoots, but a band like this couldn't sail on typical rock getup.

Everything on this album is hummable and hooky. The progressive rock elements go by so smoothly you won't notice (except for largely-unmelodic "When the War Came", which flirts as close to metal as this group will ever get). Every track vibrates with dedication and folk nirvana. After years of listening to post-grunge blah everywhere you turn, music like this radiates so much dignity that I couldn't help but love the album from the first time I heard it. I still love it almost as much. From the emotive tragic opener, to the optimistic finale, The Crane Wife is a victory of musical composition. I suggest that you give this emotional little folk story a try.

Contact Clumpy at mrclumpy@gmail.com
Liked this review? Vote for it, please!

Man Man Six Demon BagArctic Monkeys Favourite Worst Nightmare
Battles MirroredBelle and Sebastian The Life Pursuit
Eels Electro-Shock BluesGorillaz Demon Days
The Katz brothers (4)

Waior (4.5)
Accessibility and flawless narrative go on a blind date....

John Fraser (4.5)
The Decemberists' beautiful middle ground; a superb fusion of folk and prog that stands as one of th...

Redbedbreakdown (5)
Absolutely beautiful....

Clumpy
June 27th 2007

I'm working on shorter reviews. Please tell me if you like the newer, more concise format.

plane
June 27th 2007

This is a very good review. I like the concise format. Little typo:

combines two parts of the story into a single track (ninth track "The Crane Wife 1 & 2"), which didn't made sense the first time around either.

descendents1
June 27th 2007

The Decemberists have very little variation in the quality of their material, but it's almost always enjoyable.

samthebassman

Very good review.

Short & sweet.

Doppelganger
June 27th 2007

It's kind of hard to believe that this album doesn't have at least three reviews by now. Anyway, good review.

astrel
June 27th 2007

I agree with every word of this. The Crane Wife is my fave Decemerists album, mainly because it is actually consistent and flows so much better. The prog helped it a lot too.

Two-Headed Boy
June 27th 2007

Album's a'ight in a supreme sort of way.

jrowa001

i love this album!

JAD
June 27th 2007

Great review, this album is increadible. I really need to pick up Picturesque.

astrel
June 28th 2007

you mean Picaresque?

descendents1
June 28th 2007

He means Picturesque, the bootleg.

Waior
July 10th 2009

If I was ever captured by a locally run coffee shop to be their music-slave, I would play Yankee Bayonet every night until my voice grew hoarse.