Kelly Clarkson

poor

by Channing Freeman STAFF
June 24th, 2007 | 45 replies | 8,538 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Imagine that Kelly Clarkson, the Kelly Clarkson, calls you one day and tells you that when you get home, she will be waiting for you in your bed. So, being the lusty man that you are, you start to fantasize. When you get home, you run into the bedroom, expecting to find this woman lying in your bed:

Exciting, no? Well when you get into the bedroom, this is what you find instead:

Well, that first picture is the Kelly Clarkson who made Breakaway. That second picture is the Kelly Clarkson who made My December. Yeah. Oh don’t get me wrong. There are parts of My December that are undoubtedly enjoyable, much in the same way that Kelly Clarkson #2’s big toe would be enjoyable, but it’s such a huge letdown from Breakaway, which was enjoyable all the way through, much in the same way that Kelly Clarkson #1 would be enjoyable all the way through, if you know what I mean.

The main problem with My December is that it just doesn’t feel like Kelly Clarkson. If someone else were to make this album, like maybe that chick from Lacuna Coil or one of those other goth whores, it would be slightly more fitting, but this is Kelly Clarkson. You know, the spunky Texan who completely blew away everyone else in American Idol and became one of the biggest pop starts of the new millennium. For her to put out something like My December is almost an affront. For most of the album she seems to be channeling Amy Lee (even with the album cover), and that is certainly not a good thing, seeing how Amy Lee specializes in watered down mainstream rock. Sadly, that’s exactly what most of this album is. It’s pop yeah but Clarkson tries to sprinkle rock on top of too many of the tracks, proving that when she strays from her pop boundaries, she will almost always fail. She was able to get away with it on a select few tracks from Breakaway, like “Behind These Hazel Eyes,” but even then it seemed sort of plastic and decidedly not Kelly Clarkson-like. On top of that, a lot of the pop tracks have hooks that are just plain annoying (“Judas, ” “Yeah”), which is such a huge disappointment after Clarkson gave us such catchy wonders like “Walk Away” and “Since U Been Gone.”

Of course the thing that was always most enjoyable about Clarkson’s music was her voice, and even that is a bit lackluster on My December. On Breakaway, she was at her best when her voice was unrestrained, when she let loose and belted out every note in true Christina Aguilera fashion. With My December, her vocals are more subdued and restrained, and throughout the album it seems like there was just so much more that she could have done; vocal flourishes here and there would have been more than welcome. On one hand, it’s good that she isn’t trying to show off her vocal talent on every second of the album, but she’s at her worst when she holds herself back. Maybe she was trying to give her backing band more attention or something. It doesn’t really matter what she was trying to do though, because she failed. And when her voice isn’t letting us down, the lyrics pick up the slack. They really are insipid on most of the tracks, the best example being lead single “Never Again” (“If she really knows the truth, she deserves you. A trophy wife, oh how cute. Ignorance is bliss.” and “Does it hurt to know I’ll never be there? But it sucks to see my face everywhere.”). With pop music, I’m usually kind enough to let the occasional bad lyric slide, but Jesus Christ.

But don’t worry, true Kelly fans. It’s not all bad. “Sober” is one of the few tracks where Clarkson gets away with her vocal restraint, mainly because at the end she lets loose and gives one of the best performances of her career, making the two or so minutes of waiting worthwhile. “How I Feel” benefits from cool guitar parts both in the verses and the chorus, making it one of the few songs on My December that’s musically interesting. “Haunted” wouldn’t feel too out of place on Breakaway, as it has a similar feel to “Behind These Hazel Eyes.” Clarkson brings the rock, and it works. Sadly, it’s really the only track where it does. My December ends up feeling like a waste of time, seeing how even the songs that are good are weighed down by the feeling that they could be so much better. There’s really no point in sifting through the bad to find the few nuggets of good. My December seems rushed and sloppy, and ultimately it’s a forgettable effort from someone who was once one of the brightest of pop stars.

“Don’t waste your time on me” sings Clarkson on “Don’t Waste Your Time.” We might as well take her advice.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsThe Menzingers Rented World
La Dispute Rooms of the HouseMiley Cyrus Bangerz
Letlive. The Blackest BeautifulKanye West Yeezus
3.1
good
mvdu (4.5)
Kelly was right to fight with Clive Davis. With My December, Kelly evolves as an artist instead of g...

Dr Dave De Sylvia STAFF (1.5)
Sadly, even a spectacular failure would have been interesting....

June 24th 2007

aw hell those url's just end up looking sloppy

oh well i'm leavin em

plane
June 24th 2007

Good review. I might as well not even listen to this now.

June 24th 2007

see this was supposed to be a good album

then i could be like lol sop you are so silly!

but

JohnXDoesn't
June 24th 2007

i can't stand this fat bitch! :lol:

but seriously very nice review. i don't care 4 this kind of garbage.This Message Edited On 06.24.07

plane

holy deja vu, batman!

Intransit
June 24th 2007

I saw her on TV once with a backless thing on, and it was pretty horriffying. I've never seen that many back rolls on a pop star who wasn't Aretha Franklin. Or Zach Savage's mom.

Good review, although don't you dare refer to Christina as a goth whore. That's my baby's momma.

June 24th 2007

Scabbia? Dude she is a slut.

astrel
June 24th 2007

At first I had seen only the first link and I was like, that's not bad at all, and then I had seen the second link, and I was like DAMN! Could it be that disposable pop music is the leading cause in weight gain in America's youth?

Eakflanderyof
June 24th 2007

WOOAAHH, UPSIDE DOWN CROSS ON HER WRIST IN FIRST PIC!!!! THATS SOOO BLAK METTEL!!

Seriously though, good review. That second picture was scary. That first picture is fap-worthy.

JohnXDoesn't
June 24th 2007

o ya that is one beefy gal

Altmer
June 24th 2007

maybe she makes rock music and sings about how she sucks because she's so insecure about her weight now

Riziger
June 24th 2007

haha the 2nd pic is really bad....

good review. didnt expect anything outta this album tho i liked the first.

June 24th 2007

Best review you've written since last summer.

The Jungler
June 24th 2007

Nice review. Most of the reviews I've seen have been positive so I'll probably end up listening to this anyways. Plus, I like the single a lot.This Message Edited On 06.24.07

ronsramparts
June 24th 2007

Good review, never really paid attention to the lyrics in Never Again.... Still catchy as hell though.

MrKite

Top-notch review, chan.

The intro was awesome.

Man, they were some nice boobies back then.This Message Edited On 06.24.07

astrel
June 24th 2007

You'd think her boobs would get bigger when she did. I don't like that single very much, so I doubt I will even remotely enjoy this album.

metallicaman8

Superfantabulous review, Chan.

El_Goodo
June 24th 2007

That first picture was terrible on it's own...why not take a picture where she looks good? And I've always hated how when trashing someone they take the worst picture ever...the first one is a red carpet picture...the second is taken by some pervert...possibly chan himself with a camera in a bush.

That's like taking a professional picture of Chan then getting one of him scratching his ass in a leopard speedo drinking a carton of milk. I for one have both images...but thats besides the point.

Now that my rant is done...I enjoyed the opening analogy. But I'm disappointed the album is sounding so bad as I really liked Never Again.

okay