Abigail Williams
Legend

by labonza01 USER (18 Reviews)
June 20th, 2007 | 15 replies | 1,909 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Fast, but impressive.

Phoenix has always been one of my favorite cities in Arizona. Having family in the area attracts me there atleast 2 times a year. Amongst the reasons I have for loving the city, one of them is a Black/Death metal band that I have recently discovered while browsing the shelves of CDs at the nearest Hastings. I bought this album on a whim, and immediately was happy that I did.

One of the most appealing parts of this five song EP is the drumming. Very rapid blastbeats and impossibly fast double bass are the backbone of the albums drum tracks, but the muscle comes from the countless, lightening speed fills that infest each song. The drummer is an absolute maniac behind the kit, and his skill can be dizzying at times, but never do you get a dull moment. The drummer essentially sets the pace of the album (blazingly fast) while performing some very praiseworthy fills and rolls.

The guitars, while at times simple, are stunningly effective. Moderately technical, heavy, and melodic riffs are what the guitar work is made of for much of this EP, but each song has a speedy solo that is as fast as it is catchy. The use of harmonization is used in moderation here, but when the guitarists employ this technique, it is nothing short of breathtaking. Each song has distinctive riffs and solos that are very tight and perfectly executed.

There is a heavy emphasis on keys here as well. Each song on the album has a very ominous, very dark synth line running throughout it. Sure, at times it is a little annoying, but other times it is undoubtedly a highlight of the album. (Just listen to the intro of "Like Carrion Birds" and you will get it). Not much else can really be said about this aspect of the album, and I'm not about to try to stretch this further than it has to be.

Now, the vocals are my personal favorite aspect of this album. There is a range of sinister, rasping black metal influenced vocals and deep, death metal growling with not much in between. There is occasional singing that is very well executed, but like I said, it's a very rare occurrence, limited to brief sections in "From the Buried Heart" and "Watchtower". (The vocalist is also listed as a guitarist, but I'm almost completely confident that he just writes the riffs and doesn't actually perform them, as at most you hear two guitars at work most of the time.) While on the subject of vocals, what would they be without lyrics, right? While not taking an optimistic view on things, the lyrics don't really dwell on the negative either. Opener "From the Buried Heart" keeps a heavy focus on death "I gaze to the darkened skies, this will be my last night trapped in this mortal shell. As my flesh decays, it becomes one with the earth from which it came" while possibly holding a positive meaning, as later in the song you hear "The grave is no bar to my call". Now, there are other subjects brushed upon by the lyrical content of this album, I can't really say what they are, as the screams are difficult to decipher and I lost the booklet that came with the album... oops, sorry.

The overall sound of this album is very speedy, and relatively dark. The sheer quickness of the songs seems to make the five of them end in less than the album's run time of 21 minutes. Songs such as "Like Carrion Birds" and "The Precession of Aeons" really stand out as fast tracks, due mostly to the fast rhythm set by the drums. The two longest songs on this EP, "The Conqueror Wyrm" and "Watchtower" blaze by the listener before they can really grasp what's going on (the latter containing several breaks where very demonic high vocals run chills down your spine and also a very fast, quite impressive solo.)

For those of us who are ok with fast metal albums with black and death metal influences, this is a very promising EP everyone else should turn their heads in different directions.

The Hurt Process A Heartbeat BehindA Life Once Lost Hunter
Sinai Beach ImmersedChiodos All's Well That Ends Well
The Pink Spiders Teenage GraffitiIt Dies Today Forever Scorned
3.3
Suicide Boy 777 (3)
American melodic death metal with black metal and gothic influences, this is a fresh kick to the jaw...

Eric E. Smith (3.5)
While now defunt, Abigail Willaims showed all of us what they could have become with just a little m...

June 20th 2007

First review in a couple months, i'm a little rusty... sorry about that. The cover art is eluding me, i can't seem to find it... HELP! Your criticism is appreciated, just don't be to harsh.

June 20th 2007

Forgot to mention that there are some weird, horror movie sounding screams in "Like Carrion Birds"

Confessed2005
June 20th 2007

Fantastic band and a great review.

This band are an exceptionally fresh take on American metal. The drumming is sumptuous.

Minus The Flair
June 20th 2007

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B000INAXAQ/sr=8-1/qid=1182351658 /ref=dp_image_0/026-4745243-4429256?ie=UTF8&n=229816&s=music&qid=1182351658&sr=8-1

Album cover there. Nice review.This Message Edited On 06.20.07

masscows
June 20th 2007

It's a damn shame this band broke up, they seriously had so much potential. I've heard 2 tracks off of this and I love it. I'm going to get this next time I order CD's.

i like these guys

Digging: Tiamat - Clouds

Iai
June 20th 2007

So, I saw the name of the band, saw the name of the album, and assumed this was a soul record.

HotSalvation
June 20th 2007

my friends wife is Abigail Williams...

Crysis
June 20th 2007

Funny, Abigail Williams is the name of one of the main characters from "The Crucible"..... lol.....

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

June 20th 2007

After reading many reviews and holding out for about 3 months, I finally bought this. I agree with the many reviews that this is a very average piece of music. Nothing is very good at all and there are some talented people to be seen in the band. A waste of money on my part. :/

I guess I can't say I'm sad they broke up already.

ballinforeal
June 22nd 2007

fuckin pity they broke up. excellent band.

June 22nd 2007

well thanks everyone, glad this review strikes a good note with you. Looks like we only have one hater here, so that's always good huh? I didn't know they broke up... that makes me sad.

I'm not a hater, but I'm def not a fan. Pure dissapointment. :/

July 3rd 2007

Oh, does that make you indifferent? I can get that.

July 3rd 2007

No, I'm leaning more to not liking then neutral. This is really annoying.