Goo Goo Dolls
Dizzy Up The Girl

by meep17 USER (5 Reviews)
June 20th, 2007 | 5 replies

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: In some cases, a change in a band's sound is not always a very bad thing. This is one of those times.

The Goo Goo Dolls: Dizzy Up the Girl

Dizzy Up the Girl is the Goo Goo Dolls' sixth record and quite a change from earlier endeavors. "A Boy Named Goo" and it's predecessors had a distinctly rock feel with a bit of a punky vibe present in the majority of the songs. This album blows all the punk influence away, subtracts the rock, and adds a bit more pop and ballads into the mix. What is left? A solid pop rock album with great lyrics and great vocal-work, especially from guitarrist and co-vocalist John Rzeznik. The other vocalist and also bassist for the band, Robby Takac, also does a solid job but in the end, his work is definitely overshadowed by John Rzeznik's. (Most tend to think of him as the superior vocalist of the two.)

"Dizzy Up the Girl" starts with the track "Dizzy", where the change in style first becomes apparent. The production is way sharper, more effects are added, and as said before, a poppier vibe is felt. This pattern continues in the next tracks, like radio hit "Slide", "Broadway", etc. For someone expecting a more rock oriented album, this might be a little dissapointing, but I found that if you give it time and don't let biases get in the way, a seasoned 'Dolls fan will enjoy this just as much as one that became a fan because of "Iris", the smash radio and MTV hit that was very popular in it's heyday before it grew tiring.

But there are a few faults, and those faults lie heavily on Robby Takac's numbers. His vocals take awhile to get into: they are raspy and don't possess the range that John's do. But his vocals are not the least of his problem. The listener can get into them pretty easily after awhile. The main problem are the songs themselves. Most are rather bland, and depend too heavily on vocals, which could work in John's case but it definitely doesn't work in Robby's favor here. The other issues are purely personal, and for that reason I won't make too big of a deal out of them.

In all, this record is excellent. It doesn't matter if it's poppier than past albums. As long as the lyrics are good and the songs are well-written, sincere, and catchy on an album, then genre doesn't matter or doesn't have as much importance. Dizzy Up the Girl is one such album.

PROS:
-Excellent vocal performance, especially from John Rzeznik.
-Songs are catchy and have a sincere feel to them.
-Great lyrics
-The hits may grow tiring, but this album doesn't depend on them; songs that did not become singles were good as well.

CONS:
-Some tracks can grow old after awhile, namely the radio hits.
-Takac's songs tend to be a bit bland, especially when compared to Rzeznik's.
-Some might not like the poppier feel as opposed to the punkier one of the past.

Joe Shadduck (5)

Sendor (4.5)

Andrew H. EMERITUS (4)

meep17
June 20th 2007

Hmmm.... this one's a bit short. I think I rushed it a bit. Comments and constructive criticism are very welcome.

Dragon_Prince
June 20th 2007

You started out really good, but like you said it should be longer.

Great album

tribestros
June 20th 2007

Good review but I don't like the album.

MeowMeow
June 20th 2007

This is the only Goo Goo Dolls album I can get into, and their isn't a bad track on here.

meep17
June 21st 2007

I guess Robby's singing is alright, but I like his songs on past albums WAY better than the ones on here. His vocals fit their old style very well but here they sound a bit awkward to me. But that's just me.