Chris Cornell
Carry On

good

by grungekicksmetalsass USER (12 Reviews)
June 14th, 2007 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Chris Cornellhas been in the music industry for quite some time.His latest solo record Carry On is by no means another Euphoria Morning,But it's not all bad.

Cornell has given his fans great music over the years,with songs such as Black Hole Sun,Jesus Christ Pose,and Hunger Strike to name just a few.Carry On isn't what most fans would really come to expect from him.The album has quite a few different sounds to it,as it has elements of soul,jazz,blues,and gospel thrown and jumbled together.The song You Know My Name,which is famous for being in the James Bond film Casino Royale,is surprisingly the heaviest song on the album,except for maybe No Such Thing.

Cornell also decided to add his own version of Micheal Jackson's Billie Jean in which he slowed the music down to a blues like tempo.Most of the people I know who have heard the song hate it,but I enjoy it.Most of the other songs like Ghosts and Poison Eye are catchy,but eventually become boring and repetitive.
Chris seems to have lost his creativity as a lyricist lately,as most of the songs have really dull boring lyrics,in particular No Such Thing"I saw the world and it was beautiful.But the rain got in,and ruined it all.Then I tried to be invisible,it was impossible,even for me."
He somewhat makes the lyrics make no sense while at the same time makes it obvious what it's about.It's a really weird contradiction that's difficult to explain.
Another good point to make is that his vocals are much stronger this time around,not forced or raspy like it was with audioslave.So maybe sooner or later his range will return.

Although this record is dissapointing,I believe Chris Cornell deserves credit for trying something different with his material.So all in all,Carry On isn't a very bad album,but it's also not a very good one.

Pro's:stronger vocals
willingness to try someting new
Con's:Poorly written lyrics

Nine Inch Nails Pretty Hate MachineRamones Ramones
Velvet Revolver LibertadTool Opiate
2.7
John Cruz (2.5)
Chris Cornell knows how to sing and he does a lot of it on his second solo album, Carry On. And on a...

Scream

Euphoria Morning

June 15th 2007

You might want to add more detail next time; judging by this review I have no idea what the album would sound like.
Also, I greatly dislike your username.

grungekicksmetalsass
June 15th 2007

Yeah sorry it's an old username i've been meaning to change.This is only my second review anyway so i'm trying to get used to adding details where nessasary.

June 15th 2007

It's cool, at least you didn't do a track by track, haha. Try describing the vocals and the music; is it repetitive? Is it is original? Just give as much detail as you can without describing each individual track.

plane
June 15th 2007

This is really hard to read, as there's no space after any punctuation. You need to beef it up as well.

metallicaman8
June 15th 2007

Yeah, not a very good review, but a valient attempt for a second. Also, don't listen to Slaytan, there's nothing wrong with TBT's. They're not as reader friendly as overall's, but if done well they're just fine.

June 15th 2007

Also, don't listen to Slaytan, there's nothing wrong with TBT's.

Didn't mean it to come across as don't do them, there just not my cup of tea, so to speak.

JohnXDoesn't
June 15th 2007

this is a pretty good 2nd review. you can edit and what not through your profile under "EDIT MY REVIEWS." those middle paragraphs need spacing.

grungekicksmetalsass
June 15th 2007

Thanks,i'll take all the comments into consideration.

stew
June 22nd 2007

Carry On has some of the most interesting material cornell has ever written and some of the catchiest. This album did grow on me but now I love it and it is fast becoming my favourite cornell album ever. Great tracks include: Dissapearing act, silence the voices, no such thing, killing birds, and finally forever. For fans of any of his previous work. A must have album. 5 stars. In a word: Amazing

FreshDeadlyRoses
July 5th 2007

This album is simply amazing. From Rock to R&B, Chris Cornell brings something new to the table with every album...and that's what has really kept me a fan for many years. He's like the horse of different colors, only in musical form. "Carry On" sucks you in with every listen and this will be an album in my collection, that I'll be enjoying for the rest of my life. Classic!

metalliholic85
July 6th 2007

I like Chris Cornell's new CD. I think it is a change from his previous solo work. He seemed to show creativity and diversity in his musical styles. Some of the songs need to be listened too several times to fully appreciate them. I would recommend the CD.

Spare
July 9th 2008

Pleaselearntospace.It'sveryhardtoread.

moltenlava
July 9th 2008

I thought this album was excellent, or 'great' to be numerically correct here at Sputnik. He attempts a bunch of different styles that were never explored with either Soundgarden or Audioslave. I give him big ups to try writing in a different mold, and also to deliver quality songs while doing so. This guy is on top of the short list for songwriters. Singers too obviously.

gordodustin
September 14th 2013

Slaytan I love your comment haha!

Underrated album here.

Digging: Look What I Did - Zanzibar III: Analog Prison

Killerhit

this = good

album after this = fuckery

March 30th 2014

Never heard that there one, I didn't.

Killerhit
March 30th 2014

Zornagrapher's Review For "Scream"

Album Rating: 1.5. (Very Poor)
Review Summary: The hell is this shit?

i don't think anyone else could have put it more eloquently

March 30th 2014

I kind of want to hear if Cornell is really capable of something that terrible now.