Paramore
Riot!

by The Katz brothers USER (183 Reviews)
June 8th, 2007 | 700 replies | 70,556 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Paramore deliver the same type of sugary, mega-catchy Pop Punk found on their debut with their Sophomore release.

Riot! is kinda sorta everything you expect coming into it. Whatever hopes one might have had for Paramore to make a real evolution from All We Know is Falling are crushed with one listen to the new disc’s first single, Misery Business . The tune is sugary, distorted guitar-heavy Power Pop, everything that Paramore’s debut was. Sure, Riot! isn’t quite All We Know is Falling pt. 2 but, with Paramore’s ever growing fan base and mega-popular label, you knew the group weren’t going to be taking any major risks. Then again, it isn’t all that bad that Paramore haven’t changed their sound much: their last album was the guilty pleasure you didn’t feel too guilty listening to.

The most noticeable change in Paramore’s sound is a more danceable feel. On That’s What You Get , the band alternate from funky, wah-wahed guitar aided, verses to equally danceable, but much more Pop-Punk, choruses with ease. Fences has a more cabaret-feel, taking a definite influence from the second half of label mates Panic! at the Disco’s album (another synth laden, danceable track Crushcrushcrush also sounds like something Panic! could have written). Fences, despite being a departure from the rest of Riot! still seems natural, and is one of the album’s highlights. Hallelujah (not the Leonard Cohen song) finds Paramore throwing in some electronic “experimentation”, adding soaring synthesizer melodies and brief bouts of electronic drumming to their usual perfectly groomed power chords.

It is definitely a good thing that Riot!, like All We Know, is propelled by lead singer Hayley Williams vocals. Her voice is strong and well suited for the type of music she sings. The ridiculously catchy melodies she belts out, dumb lyrics or not, make every track on Riot! sing-a-long worthy. And, sad to say or not, her presence is probably the only thing that keeps Paramore from sounding exactly like the legions of Pop-Punkers out there today. The three guys in Paramore, Jeremy Davis, Josh Farro and Zach Farro (Bass, Guitar and Drums, respectively) don’t really do much to differ them selves from the rest of crowd. That said, Farro has hooks coming out of his ass and his rhythm section is about as tight as you could want.

There isn’t really much doubt that Riot! is a strong album. The only real bad moment comes in the form of the second ballad We Are Broken . Everything about the track, from the cheesy piano tone to the equally cheesy strings to some of Hayley’s lyrics ( “your arms like towers/tower over me” , seems bland, uniteresting and (I feel like I’m repeating myself here) cheesy, almost like a (slightly) heavier version of something that would get sung on American Idol. The first ballad When it Rains is miles better, though it also seems kind of generic.

As someone who was really hoping for Paramore to evolve on Riot! , I feel kind of weird proclaiming the album’s most “All We Know” moment to be its best but, there isn’t much denying it: album ender, Born for This trumps the rest of Riot! . The track’s gang vocals and staccato guitar parts make it one of the most upbeat tracks on the album and, while the lyrics may be bland ( “Everybody sing, like it’s the last song you will ever sing/tell me, tell me can you feel the pressure now” ), the chorus’s melody is easily single-worthy. Possibly even more so than Misery Business, though that track makes a fine single itself.

So now I come to the question whose answer I have been mentally debating for the last few days. Is Riot! better than All We Know is Falling ? The answer is probably a no. for me at least. All We Know is Falling just seems much more innocent, emotional and probably better written. Like maybe popularity and money have taken away something Paramore used to have. Maybe not though, whatever the case Riot! should suit any Paramore fans needs, including my own.

-Dan

The Max Levine Ensemble OK SmartypantsAIDS Wolf Cities of Glass
Bloc Party IntimacyThe Cool Kids The Bake Sale
Madvillain Madvillainy 2: The Madlib RemixYip-Yip Two Kings of the Same Kingdom

ew bolding is so gay

anyway good review except this is definitely a 4 and better than their first. and "we are broken" rules :mad:This Message Edited On 06.08.07

plane
June 8th 2007

Yeah good review blah blah I hate you etc.

I agree with the rating, but every song on here is good. I might still post my review now that I see we have different views. :/

This is so much better than All We Know Is Falling.

also, WTF i say this too:

This Message Edited On 06.08.07

slep
June 8th 2007

Good review and whatnot. This album was such a pleasant surprise.This Message Edited On 06.08.07

Slaapkamers
June 8th 2007

how long did you spend writing this review?

The Jungler
June 9th 2007

Meh, if this is better than the first, it isn't by much. And yeah, definitley submit your review planewreq, I want to read it.
Plath, I'll edit that second paragraph up sometime today.
[quote=slaapkamers]how long did you spend writing this review?[/quote]i don't know

Pyramidman
June 9th 2007

i'm not suprised at all at the lack of progression, I like Paramore but i'm not expecting anything better then All We Know

Slaapkamers
June 9th 2007

yeah no progress at all sounds exactly the same as their last album it sucks

Iluvatar
June 9th 2007

I give a hearty "nah" to this album.

June 9th 2007

i give a hearty nah to your life

lunchforthesky

Complete trash.

JoeForPresident
June 15th 2007

i personally like this album very much

Jom
June 24th 2007

Never heard of these guys, but recently saw the video for 'Misery Business.' It was alright - the singer is a cutie but she has an obscene amount of make-up on in said video... I'll have to listen to more than just the one song to come up with something more concrete than commenting on the vocalist's looks.

radianteclipse
August 11th 2007

Does anybody else notice the fact that in "Born For This" right before they sing "We want the airwaves back.." in the exact same manner Refused does in "Liberation Frequency"?

Jom
August 15th 2007

"Misery Business" and Hayley's chops are the only things that make this a 1.5 for me. I know it's pop-punk, but this was extremely disappointing after hearing the aforementioned track. The instrumentation was lethargic and uninspiring at best... it's too bad, too, because I was genuinely looking forward to a good listening experience.

TheStarclassicTreatment
August 17th 2007

These guys are pretty good on their instruments, Misery Business is pretty hard to play as a band.This Message Edited On 08.17.07

SpinLightTwo
August 17th 2007

I give 'em respect, but I don't think that they are too great instrumentally.

TheStarclassicTreatment
August 17th 2007

Sure they're not Dream Theater, but they are decent. I think the fact that they don't just stick to power chords and normal overused progressions all the time gives them a unique sound.

A 5 for Paramore? Huh, it's good but not great.This Message Edited On 02.23.08

SpinLightTwo
August 17th 2007

A lot of bands within the genre don't stick to power chords, but Paramore (though i like them) aren't really a part of that crowd.

September 18th 2007

Ok I admit it, the singer is pretty hot with that orange hair, and unfortunately misery business is a catchy tune. F***.