Mushroomhead
XX

by Shawn USER (3 Reviews)
June 7th, 2007 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is a best of album of mushroomhead's work before they were with a major label.

Mushroomhead is an eight piece band from Cleaveland. This is a best of cd from their previous music they released before they got signed to a major label. Even if you have their later work and don't like it I still reccomend this cd. Their sound has changed alot since this album was released. If your a first time listener of this band you can expect to hear is a great use of two vocalists and just overall superb lyrics. Don't judge the band because they wear masks. They actually put out some quality music.

What was good about the album:
The thing that seperates this band from other nu-metal bands is the flow during the rap verses. Unlike other nu-metal bands the rap vocalist actually has a pretty good flow. This is also the album that got me into metal bands with melody in general. The keyboards on this album go so well with the feel of the songs. I was really skeptical on buying this cd when I heard they had a keyboardist(I think thats a word?)but it really takes the album to a new level. The lyrics are superb on this album also. Most the songs on this cd have a darker feel to them. The keyboards just put in that creepy feel when your listening to the songs. They use they two vocalists great throughout the whole album,the lyrics seem as though they are specifically chosen for a certain vocalist. The song xeroxed is the biggest stand out track on the cd. On xeroxed they experiment with a death metal sound. I wish they would of experimented with the death metal sound a little more,because xeroxed sounded great. The nasal vocals from Jeffery Nothing are the biggest highlight on this album,I really wished they would have used him a little bit more throughout the album. J mann's growls sound excellent also,though they do get a bit boring after awhile. The best tracks are the ones that primarely use Jeffery Nothing,though j mann is a great vocalist jeffery nothing really distingquises the bands sound.

What was bad about the album:
The guitarwork on this cd isn't anything special,its pretty much the same as any other nu-metal bands. The drumming sounds good but it is much to simple. Their not fast and it is the same drumming sound on almost every song,I really wish they would have experimented with the drumming more. The blank tracks on here weren't neccesery either. And after waiting patiently through all the blank tracks you get bwomp(remix),which in general was the same as the original just longer with more sound effects,they didn't even change the lyrics! There are also a couple fillers here which I don't understand considering this is a complition album of their previous work. J mann's flow is good but his rap lyrics really lack something,which really brought the rap verses down a notch.

Overall this album was superb. There are fillers on here but they don't sound half bad though they don't really stand out compared to the rest,there still decent songs. To me this is really a breakthrough nu-metal album. Even with the average guitarwork and drumming,just the vocals,lyrics,and keyboards make up for it. All I can say about this album to explain it shortly is I don't understand why this band wasn't signed earlier if they were coming out with material like this! If your into nu-metal and you still haven't got this I highly reccomend it.

Reccomended tracks:
xeroxed
the new cult king
before I die
these filthy hands I reccomend them all but thes are the biggest stand out tracks.

before I die-5/5
too much nothing-4/5
episode 29-N/A
bwomp remix-4/5

Warsprite (4.5)
A rerecorded best of album from their three indie releases compiles all of the absolute best tracks ...

theclown (4.5)
This is a complition album of mushroomhead's previous releases....

Seth T. White (Cravinov13) (4)

metalhead17
June 7th 2007

I think I improved since my last review.Tell me what you think!

June 8th 2007

There are still lots of grammatical errors.

Digging: Black Crown Initiate - The Wreckage of Stars

metalhead17
June 8th 2007

I don't know how to do spell check.

Needs work still.

This album proves that major record labels screw with bands music.

June 8th 2007

Everything I've ever heard by this band was unoriginal and boring.

By the way Cravinov, stop being such an elitist faggot.

MeowMeow
June 8th 2007

This album proves that Mushroomhead are lame.

June 8th 2007

By the way Thor, mind your own business.

MeowMeow
June 8th 2007

Yeah, mind your own business. Quit acting like this a public website you moron. [/Sarcasm]This Message Edited On 06.07.07

June 8th 2007

lawl If I honestly took everything people say seriously I wouldn't be wasting my time on this site anymore. Pound me with insults I really could care less. That won't mean I won't be a prick to someone who is being a prick to me. And when online, it's hard to tell if some one is being a total a** or not.

June 8th 2007

I know all of these. Not as obscure as you may think.

I may be a prick, but you're still retarded.

June 8th 2007

Yeeeaaahhh, stop being so immature and shut up. You don't know me and I don't
know you and I'd like to keep it that way.

Back on topic, your reviews are getting better metalhead17, but you really neard to
learn how to use spellcheck.

I digress :pThis Message Edited On 06.07.07

Meelk
June 8th 2007

why don't you put a space after periods?

NEG NEG NEG!!!This Message Edited On 06.08.07

any14doomsday
June 8th 2007

I dont think you justify giving this as high a rating as you did.

astrel
June 8th 2007

I forgot about this album. I think that I only liked about 2 songs...it was pretty 'effing bad.

Shattered_Future
June 9th 2007

XIII was so much freaking better than this.

72haha72
March 30th 2008

it's so obvious this guys are very inspired by Faith no more

Comrade
November 30th 2008

I think it's ironic that "Shawn" and "The Clown" reviewed the same album with the same rating... Slipknot joke.

Anyway, great review for an okay album. ;)