The Used
In Love and Death

by Julio Babilonia USER (16 Reviews)
June 1st, 2007 | 86 replies | 21,580 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A forgettable album that doesn't reflect what The Used can do.

After a very well received first album, The Used was seen as a band with a lot of potential. In Love and Death was expected to demonstrate that potential, and to show the public that this is a serious band with really good music and a lot of talent. Unfortunately, although they didn’t fail miserably, they fell awfully short of what was expected.

With this album, The Used moved into a more pop sound, and although that isn’t necessarily bad, they did it in a mediocre fashion. Musically, this change was a step back from the first album. The guitars don’t do much to stand out and don’t work too well in the slow songs. The drums are one of the good things of the album; they always find a way to stand out, even in the ballads. With In Love and Death, The Used went for catchiness and more simplicity in other to have a more “radio-friendly” sound, but in the process they left behind the great musical structures and excellent melodies that were found in the first album. There are songs like Take It Away and Sounds Effect and Overdramatics where their great musical talent is demonstrated in a big manner, but instead of making an album with many songs like these, they did the complete opposite.

Most of the songs in the album are slowed paced, and ballads that tend to be boring and largely devoid of energy. There are some songs like I’m A Fake that are energetic and catchy, but with horrible lyrics full of clichés; another example of this is the song Cut Up Angels. It’s hard to listen to a song that goes over and over:

“Just look at me, look at me now.
I’m a fake, I’m a fake, I’m a fake”

Even so, this album is not all bad. The vocals are very well done and fit perfectly with the songs; same goes with the screams. It’s a shame that most of the songs are slow or ballads because the vocals don’t shine as much as they do in fast and louder songs. They would have been even better with a litle more energy, but nevertheless they are still great. Another positive thing of the album is that the faster paced and louder songs, with the exception of I’m A Fake, are all great. Even though they are few, at least they made them really good and very enjoyable. There are also some standouts in the ballads. I Caught Fire, All I’ve Got, and Hard to Say are really beautiful songs that, even though their lyrics aren’t anything special and once in a while sound like a 14 years old’s poem, the listener can still very much enjoy. Finally, the last good point of the album is the Under Pressure cover with My Chemical Romance.

All in all, this album is a big disappointment to all the people who expected big things from this band. However, there are still some great stuff that give hope that The Used can find themselves and with their next album show the public that they weren’t wrong when they though that this band had a lot of talent and potential. An album that will probably have a lot of radio play, this isn’t a reflection of what The Used can do. If you like mainstream pop-rock stuff them chances are you are going to like this, but if that isn’t the case I advice The Used’s first album.

Recommended Tracks:

Take It Away
I Caught Fire
All That I've Got
Sound Effects and Overdramatics

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This review is dedicated to my grandmother. RIP
Always remembered, in love and death.

Strung Out Agents of the UndergroundThursday Common Existence
Goldfinger Hello DestinyRise Against Appeal to Reason
Hot Water Music Fuel for the Hate GameSmoke Or Fire Above The City
3.3
battleinthenorth (2)
Dull and uninspired follow up to a masterpiece...

Acanthus (4)
An extremely enjoyable listen for what many would call the wrong reasons....

mestfckers (3)

June 1st 2007

"The vocals are very well done and fit perfectly with the songs"

Okay...

"The vocals could have been better with a little more energy"

Okay...

I agree that this wasn't nearly as good as their first album. But I love it nonetheless. I've always viewed it as more of a sentimental work than the energetic, emotional album their self-titled was obviously aiming to be. "Light With a Sharpened Edge" and "Let it Bleed" are easily two of my favorite songs from them. And I've always loved "All That I've Got", despite it's bad rep

Cesar
June 1st 2007

I used to really love this album, i still like it, is kind of a guilty pleasure. The vocals are very well done, but with a litle more energy they could have been better. You are right in saying this album is meant to be more sentimental than energetic, I forgot to write that in the review. It was going to be sentimental after the tragedy that happened to Bert.

June 1st 2007

I'm A Fake, I Caught Fire, and Let It Bleed I think are the Album's highlights.

June 1st 2007

I'm a Fake is the worst song ever.

June 1st 2007

No way. That song pwns alot of their slower, crappier stuff.

All That I've got is so catchy it's annoying.This Message Edited On 06.01.07

plane
June 1st 2007

Decent review, but this album is awful.

June 1st 2007

No, their worst song would have to be the closer song from their new album. I don't even remember what it's called.

Their new album is better than this one, though.

But you gave this a 4?

Cesar
June 1st 2007

The song is called Smother Me, i don't think it is that bad. I'm trying to learn the piano.

June 1st 2007

Yes I did. I can't yet decide how I should score their new album, although I'm thinking it gets a four as well. Like I said, I love this album even though it has a few problems.

Jom
June 1st 2007

Who has two thumbs and had to clean up this review?
This guy.
See the community forum for a bit of a warning.

slep
June 2nd 2007

This would have gotten a 1 had in not been for All That I've Got.This Message Edited On 06.01.07

understone
June 2nd 2007

I found this to be Realy good and catchy. Review is good.This Message Edited On 06.02.07

tom79

I hate this album

Digging: Bent Outta Shape - Stray Dog Town

meep17
June 5th 2007

ARGH; I totally dislike this album as well. I did even when I liked emo/whatever. The guy's voice just puts me off so much. (Well, most emo+the like have vocalists I can't stand, but even for the genre, this guy has an excruciating voice. To ME, anyway.)

IBertTheUsed
June 12th 2007

i fink you did well
i find this review pretty sweet !

IBertTheUsed
June 12th 2007

dis album is sweet ::D

grungekicksmetalsass
August 12th 2007

The Used are alright. This album is pretty emo though. I bought it and listened to it for a day, then I just stopped listening.

scarsremain
November 16th 2007

Even though i generally hate Emo, I'm A Fake is a great song, but the album kind of sucks, Except for like 4 songs

mkCII
April 5th 2008

The only redeeming song for this album in my eyes is Sound Effects and Overdramatics. The others are all quite bland.

Oh, and Under Pressure. Great cover.This Message Edited On 04.05.08