Unicorn
Emotional Wasteland

by Foodforthegods USER (35 Reviews)
June 1st, 2007 | 5 replies | 3,467 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Unicorn - Emotional Wasteland (1995)

Mellow Records

5. Suddenly
6. The Sorrow Song
7. Waterfall
8. After Before

Unlike Nightingale, Unicorn is an absolutely non-metal project from Dan Swanö. This project is way more poppy and more ear friendly. Almost all the songs are acoustic driven and features some good lyrics.

«Oh My, my emotional wasteland.
All the warriors of my heart
declared a war to fight the emptiness.
Oh my. my emotional wasteland.
all the citizens of my soul, let it
flow and fill my heart again. Again».

Most of the song have a lot of feeling. The lyrical themes are: Inner Stuggles, Love, Depression. Even if the lyrics are not the happiest ones, the music features some happy moments in songs like Emotional Wasteland and The Boy And The Impossible. To add some vibe the band decided to add a gospel singer in some of the songs which is pretty interesting. Those moments reminds me a lot of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon. Even some solos are Gilmour inspired. Some piano,flute and cello are featured during the intro of Hiding Again. Probably the most emotive song of the record. By emotive and I don't mean that this band is emo. The music is just beautiful and comes with emotions but this is definatly progressive rock.

For the instrumental aspect of the music, everything is pretty well done. This band is not a musical show-off but all the members know how to play their instruments. Some interesting instruments like flute, cello, piano and more are featured. Dan's voice is as always amazing. I mean, this guy can sing very well even if he has a really low voice. One of the interesting part of the instrumental is that it gives you some hard rock moments, some prog some folk, some gospel moments, etc. The music is so diverse that you cannot get bored. The guitar solo, like I said earlier are Gilmour inspired. The drumming by Swanô is simple but perfect for the music.

Now this is band is split-up but Dan is working on a project call Second Sky. It will be in the same vein of Unicorn.

Highlights:

Emotional Wasteland
Hidding Again
Suddenly
The Boy And The Impossible.

Dave Matthews Band Away From The WorldU2 360° at the Rose Bowl
Dave Matthews Band Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux KingNeal Morse Testimony
Dimension Zero Silent Night FeverNovembre The Blue

Abaddon2005
June 1st 2007

Unfortunately a poor review.. especially for a 26th. You basically just summarized the contents of this album without going into detail anywhere, and as a result it's also way too short.

ValiumMan
June 1st 2007

Sorta bad review, no detail, no structure, too short, not even a proper intro, too much space wasted on the redundant "line-up and tracklist" shit. Just as Abaddon said, you should know better after 25 reviews.

FR33L0RD
June 14th 2007

Short Review but ok...it gives me an idea of the band
thats all i want to know for now

Got my vote

January 30th 2013

gotta check dis

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

TheSonomaDude
July 11th 2014

I've had this album for a few years. It's a bit too happy and upbeat for my tastes, but I still like it.