Saint Vitus
Saint Vitus

by Mart0001 USER (9 Reviews)
May 30th, 2007 | 31 replies | 9,279 views

Release Date: 1984 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A great debut album, and also one of the best early doom metal-albums.

1984 was (for most people) the year in which Doom Metal was really born. Trouble released Psalm 9 in that year, and Saint Vitus released their great debut album.

In 1984, Saint Vitus had the following members:
Scott Reagers - Vocals
Dave Chandler - Guitar
Mark Adams - Bass
Armando Acosta - Drums

When I first heard this album, I was not really impressed. But when I listened to it a few more times, I realy began to like it. Especially the guitar work and the vocals are awesome.
Scott Reagers is a great vocalist, I like him even better than Wino. His voice is pretty hard to describe, he sings operatic but he also uses growls. He really knows how to make doom metal scary. Just listen to "Burial At Sea": Neptune please help me/Don't want no burial at sea. He also creates an own style, and doesn't try to imitate other vocalists (which most other doom metal vocalists do). This gives the album a very unique sound, even though you can hear Saint Vitus was influenced by Black Sabbath.
What I also like of this album is that it begins with the fastest (and most accessible) song, and that the songs after that slow down as the album progresses.
I will do a track-by-track review at his point.

1. Saint Vitus
The title and opening track, and strangely enough it is a fast song. But don't worry, the album will become slower as the album progresses, so this is the fastest song on the album. This has great vocals, lyrics, drumming and guitar work. The song is about a 'young lad' named Saint Vitus, who tells people to believe in a god and not in the government. And by telling that to people, he gets the death sentence. It's a fast and catchy song, and probably the most accessible one on this album.

2. White Magic/Black Magic
When I first heard this album, this song was my favorite. It's still a pretty fast song, but after three quart of the song, the song slows down and begins to be a real doom metal song. I really like the lyrics, and especially the way Scott Reagers sings here. I believe in miracles/I don't believe in sin/I believe in wizardry/I don't believe in trends/White magic/Black magic/Which am I to choose?. Very catchy, in my opinion.

3. Zombie Hunger
Now the album begins to slow down. Zombie Hunger is pure doom, with great pounding riffs and vocals/lyrics. I especially like the line No impulses feeding my brain in this song.

4. The Psychopath
The only downpoint of this album, sadly. I don't really like the riffs and vocals as much as in the other songs. I also think the song is way too long (don't get me wrong, I like doom metal, but it doesn't have to be as long as possible). I have a hard time listening to this song from beginning to end. I just don't like it.
2/5

5. Burial At Sea
The slowest song on this album, and in my opinion the best. I really like the slowness, the riff and the vocals in this song, especially when Reagers sings Neptune please help me/Don't want no burial at sea. It's so haunting. Halfway through, there's a faster part, which makes the song much better than it already was. A great way to end the album.
5/5

Conclusion
I really like this album, it's great as a debut album and it's also one the the best early doom metal-albums. It has great vocals, a haunting atmosphere, great guitar work and interesting melodies. The album is pretty short (only 35 minutes), but that makes you want to play it over and over again. Try it if you like Black Sabbath or slow metal. You'll love it.

Pros
+ Great vocals
+ Great guitar work
+ The way the album is dealt: it begins with the fastest song and end with the slowest one.

Cons
- The Psychopath
- You have to be in the mood for it
- The production

Running Wild Under Jolly RogerJudas Priest Point of Entry
Earth Earth 2Judas Priest Turbo
Joy Division Unknown PleasuresJudas Priest British Steel

kalkal50
May 30th 2007

Sry, but this review is not really good. It is much too rudimentary and poorly explained to make it much of an asset in my opinion. You don't elaborate on anything, and use words like "great" to describe some elements. You give personal views which is good, but it the way you put it comes off really mediocre: such as "I like the ...." which is overused and not justified. I still have no idea how this sounds. But, since it's only your second review, I will condone it. C'mon dawg This Message Edited On 05.30.07

Epilogue
May 30th 2007

Yeah, keep away from tbt reviews, you could do much better with an overall. You don't describe each track well, especially Zombie Hunter. But it's your second, so I'll let it go. I like Candlemass, and what you described the vocals to be kinda sounds like Messiah. Does this sound like Candlemass?

Slaapkamers
May 30th 2007

Since this is your second, I won't gutfuck you.

Confessed2005

^^^ Gutfucking?!?!

That sounds very odd.

Epilogue

Gut****ing

Death Metal!!!! And I saw the reccomandations and Candlemass' EDM album, I'll take your word for itThis Message Edited On 05.30.07

Mart0001
May 30th 2007

Thanks for the reactions and tips! ;) I will use them if I make a third review. And it doesn't matter if you think my review sucks, I think it's better when people are fair.

The vocals on this album are very VERY hard to describe, as I just said in the review. Scott Reagers' voice is clean, low, and he uses a great range of vocals (operatic screams and growls), but doesn't really sound like Messiah. You can't really compare him to other vocalists, as I've never heard someone who sings like Scott Reagers.This Message Edited On 05.30.07

kalkal50
May 30th 2007

You mean you think its better when people are honest.

Otisbum

1912 Comments

Dave Chandler - Guitar
Mark Adams - Bass

Thought it said Adam Sandler.

If you go for another track-by-track review, be sure to add a lot of detail to each description. Take a look at some of the other review(ers) to get a better picture of how fantastic ones look.This Message Edited On 05.30.07

rattlehead42147
May 30th 2007

i agree with these guys, track by tracks especially need more detail. my first review was a tbt but i realized that these just don't get the job done like a standard overall review. its really not bad though considering that its your second review. also try to give a more neutral position, i mean put your say in there but just try to give less biased opinion on the album. unfortunately i can't give you my vote until you make some changes This Message Edited On 05.30.07

AlienEater

SV rule

Unreal
May 31st 2007

ooowww more doom metal i might check this out

Athom
January 29th 2010

Burial at Sea live with Reager back on vocals was one of the best things ever.

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

Ire

SAIIIIIINT VITUSSSSS

ShadowRemains

19423 Comments

main riff in that rules so much

Ire

this band is ughgood

seedofnothing
November 10th 2011

i dont know what the review is talkin bout, The Psychopath owns

rockandmetaljunkie
December 27th 2011

great album

dannyboy89
March 15th 2012

Review talks too much from a first person standpoint. Undeserving of a pos.

Digging: Radiohead - Amnesiac

Hawks
March 15th 2012

Well it was written almost 5 years ago and that dude probably isn't around anymore so I'm sure he doesn't give a fuck if you pos or not.

lol