Circa Survive
On Letting Go

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
May 29th, 2007 | 270 replies | 53,135 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This album quenches the fix for Anthony Green; but also a fix for incredibly lazy and stale songwriting.

Circa Survive are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucking boring. There really aren’t two ways to put it; they take the most boring aspects of dredg, The Mars Volta, and occasionally Cave In and turn them into albums. Juturna was saved by a few standout tracks, but On Letting Go is lacking songs with a punch in addition to all of its other common faults.

I have to stress; On Letting Go is not Juturna, Pt. 2. It actually *is* Juturna, with a different name and different lyrics. The aesthetic and sound of the album is nearly a pinpoint reenactment. Scientists wish they could have this kind of precise cloning ability with human embryos. The same soft intros, with a few hard riffs thrown into some to throw you off; the same two types of singing (soft high pitched-ness and kind of angry high pitched-ness); generally uninteresting instrumentation (besides some interesting rhythms from the drummer); and pretty contrived lyrics about who the hell knows. Hi, Anthony Green-Zavala.

The album doesn’t even start off interesting, with “Carry Us Away” playing like a really bad “x song off of Juturna.” Despite the pretty neat drum part at the beginning (mostly due to good sound engineering), the song devolves into a pretty monotone song that attempts to build up some sort of tension and then…never release it. That seems to be Circa Survive’s big problem; a lot of the time, they attempt to build up all of these songs, and it ends up going nowhere because they can’t think of an effective way to release it.

Anthony Green sounds exactly like he did on Juturna. This isn’t entirely a bad thing; he does have the makings of a great singer. What, with his uniquely pitched voice, strange tone, and way mixing with the music, he could definitely match lots of other great singers in the scene. But, he needs to show some variation in his singing, and perhaps tighten up, something he could have very easily done in the two years between Juturna and this. Except…he didn’t. Thus, we can now safely say Anthony Green is just trying to take advantage of a unique voice without really trying to push it, which is a crying shame. He is still the saving grace (if you can call it that) of this album, and writes some workable lyrics (think of a much more relatable Cedric Bixler).

For other information on this album, see http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=3547, and make the necessary corrections for tracks/albums/grammatical errors.

Seriously folks, I can’t stress how much of a non-progression this is. They add maybe one or two spacey elements in the vein of Jupiter by Cave In, and hope people keep thinking they’re saviors of the whole post-hardcore/indie scene. Thing is, when you sound like a really, really boring Cursive/dredg mix musically, and an even more annoying Mars Volta/Coheed & Cambria mix vocally, you just can’t expect to be wowing people with your endeavors. On Letting Go is listenable, and you may very well enjoy two or three songs. To be honest, I do like “The Difference Between Medicine and Poison is in the Dose” and “In the Morning Amazing,” but its not like they bring anything different from any of the other songs, I just find them to be perfections of what Circa Survive are trying to do. Fittingly, I don’t even like those songs much.

Thus, the story ends. On Letting Go is your fill for more Anthony Green, but shows a surprising lack of progression. Kind of surprising, considering the direction he has taken the Sound of Animals Fighting, you’d figure this would follow that at least a little. Unfortunately, it just runs in place, watching every other scene band (even…From First to Last) show more change between albums.

Say Anything HebrewsWashboard Leo Thomas Louisiana Bluegrass
Crusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Los Campesinos! No BluesArcade Fire Reflektor
TheWayfarerElectric (2)
Circa Survive show as much disparity from one album to the next as The Real World does with seasons....

Channing Freeman STAFF (4)
I fixed myself up nice but you never came....

IsItLuck?
May 29th 2007

I'll probably still get this someway, but I am no suprised. wittyyy review

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

May 29th 2007

i hate it when people say

"seriously folks"

May 29th 2007

Blah give me something better to stick in there

iarescientists

a penis lol

IsItLuck?
May 29th 2007

zach you are such a tool sometimes.

Yeah.

Good review.

a penis lol

lol this

iarescientists
May 29th 2007

[quote=ryry]zach you are such a tool sometimes[/quote]
okay, ryry wants you to use a vibrator.

May 29th 2007

I think I remember when everyone actually thought for themselves and didnt just pull fag jokes with internet lingo
wait no i dont

May 29th 2007

Circa Survive are really boring y/n guys.

wait no i dont

um you do this all the time and you're never funny

DFelon204409
May 29th 2007

The songs I've heard lead me to a 2.5. Have any of you guys listened to Further Seems Forever's How to Build a Fire. I feel like that album changes the way people think about Circa Survive. Similar backgrounds and pacing, with a charismatic frontman with a nice nice voice. Check it.

y
they are like the mars volta only way worse
wait nvm you said that

The Jungler
May 29th 2007

Album is really boring, samey and similar in almost every way to the first record, so far (I've listened to maybe half of it). So basically what you say in the review. 'The Only Difference...' is the only song that rivals the singles off Juturna so far. I thought this band had potential, guess not.

Review is good, albeit being informal.This Message Edited On 05.29.07

um you do this all the time and you're never funny

thats what i mean, hence the "everyone"

May 29th 2007

I saw Further Seems Forever a long time ago before I even knew what this kind of music was. I completely forgot about them, but they were a good band. One of the few to come from around me. Funny to hear the Chris Carrabba stuff at this point.

Intransit
May 29th 2007

Worst coverart ever. No lie.

iamrockzorz
May 29th 2007

hmm.. i liked this, i thought it was a good step from juturna which in my eyes was a lot more repetitive than this. but i saw so many similarities between the two albums, its weird to me that someone could like their first cd and not this.

May 29th 2007

Sorry for the faginess scientists.

May 29th 2007

I thought the first was very average. I don't see people finding much in Circa Survive that isn't found better elsewhere.