Tool
Lateralus

by Porter W. Richards USER (62 Reviews)
May 26th, 2007 | 97 replies | 43,091 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Boring. Repetitive. Bland. That's Tool's Lateralus.

Tool is a band that has redefined progressive rock and metal as we know it today. From their debut Undertow, Tool has introduced us to the dark world that is Tool, filled with low-tuned guitars, heavy bass, and drum-driven beats. Most bands out there at one point or another try to hard to make an epic, classic album; thus enter Tool's third release Lateralus. Tool was trying so hard to recreate the greatness that was Aenima that it wounded up backfiring. This album is an overly long, boring, trite, and un-inspired piece of progressive rock.

When you release as little albums as Tool does within a long career like Tool does, hype is bound to grow majorly for each album. Such happened for Lateralus, but it didn't even hit anywhere near the hype. Lateralus is a prolonged Aenima with longer songs and more filler. Tool's music has never been very varied, but with this album, the tracks all sound the same, feel the same, thus are the same; and it makes this album no pleasure to listen to. I'm sorry, I guess I don't have the patience to listen to the same guitar riffs and drum tempos over and over again for about an hour and a half. That's right, this album is long, but to make matters worse, it drags and never seems to end. That doesn't end up boding well for an album, or a band in my opinion.

There's no reason to be as harsh on this album as certain review sites (i.e. Pitchfork), but there is a point where people need to understand how truly overrated this album is. There's a few solid tracks to be found on Lateralus, like the opener The Grudge and the title track Lateralus. The Grudge slowly builds and changes tempos and rhythms often, and Maynard screams often in this track. The title track, Lateralus is loud, long, and easily the album's epic. But reverse this, and now you have some of Tool's worst tracks, like Schism which seems to be the most repetitive piece of work Tool's ever created. At times, I'm tempted to count how many times Maynard says "I know the pieces fit.". Its that repetitive. Or, there's Ticks and Leeches, which has some cool instrumental work but Maynard's high-pitched screeching vocals hurt to listen to.

The rest of the album is just boring, and like stated before, the album winds on forever. There's way too much filler found in the album as well, and over and over again it seems the same songs start over and over again, with a little variety in the lyrics here and there; but mostly, its the same stuff different song, which makes this album almost unbearable. Tool fans may worship Lateralus like its godsent, but there's plenty more good Tool albums out there for purchase; best leave Lateralus on the shelf.

Radiohead In RainbowsMetallica St. Anger
Blur BlurPorcupine Tree Nil Recurring
Foo Fighters Echoes, Silence, Patience & GracePink Floyd A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Doppelganger

Extremely necessary review.

Merkaba33
May 26th 2007

don't ever compare tool to fall out boys. other than that it's an ok review. i think the whole dark feel to the album IS the identity of the album. give the album a few more tries though. I felt sort of the same way at first but it eventually grew on me big time.

Cravinov13
May 26th 2007

I hated this at first, but it grew on me. Let it grow on you.

May 26th 2007

It grew on me then promptly un-grew.

RandyfromPennywise
May 26th 2007

So how long is the album actually?

May 26th 2007

"I loved this at first, and then it grew out of me. Isis pretty much rapes Tool in the heat of the night at doing what Tool does."

Isis are great. Rest I can't say I agreed on.

It's like 75 minutes I think?This Message Edited On 05.26.07

May 26th 2007

Bringing in something completely unrelated. You're cool.

Meelk
May 26th 2007

isis are boringer than tool.
tool actually aren't bad.

May 26th 2007

i like that siamese cat being squeezed in Mantra!

MMMMIIIIAAAAAOOOOWWWWMEOWMEOWMMMMIIIIAAAAOOOOWWWW...

May 26th 2007

isis are boringer than tool.

Only when you believe boringer is a real word.

Meelk

suck my balls

Cravinov13
May 26th 2007

Isis pars with Tool in awesomeness

Doppelganger
May 26th 2007

It grew on me then promptly un-grew.

FriendofTheDevil70
May 26th 2007

Tool as a band are overrated in general. Maybe I just pay too much attention to the
annoying fanboys but this seems to be the case. This album has a few redeeming
tracks, but overall it is just bogged down but unnecesarily long songs, and boring
ambient parts.

Nice review BTW.This Message Edited On 05.26.07

^ just YOUR opinion, nothing else. next!This Message Edited On 05.26.07

May 26th 2007

Of course it's his opinion, otherwise someone else would have posted that.

^O_o

IsItLuck?
May 27th 2007

This is probably overrated. Considering I haven't listened to it in about a year. Therefore playback value is pretty much null. I'll give it another spin, but it's still excellent.

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again