The Tragically Hip
Fully Completely

by tom79 USER (76 Reviews)
May 19th, 2007 | 18 replies | 8,379 views

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

With Fully Completely, The Hip took their gritty blues influenced rock sound that had them placed among the top of the Canadian music scene and elaborated, creating a more atmospheric, art rock feel along side with their traditional roots. With albums like ‘Up To Here’ and ‘Road Apples’ to their name, The Tragically Hip were one of the bigger names in Canada, yet received little attention outside. Often regarded as one of, if not their finest, most encompassing album, Fully Completely is an essential, symbolic record with more than half of the album still getting regular play on the air today.

Produced by Chris Tsangarides (who’s worked with Depeche Mode, Killing Joke), Fully Completely showcases the band at its best. Gord Downie and crew have all improved significantly on their already impressive assets with Downie’s lyrics still having that close to home feel. As mentioned, Fully Completely is somewhat different from their first two albums. Not necessarily in the sense of song writing or overall sound drastically, but takes a more melodious, mid tempo, but steady tone for much of it]. But of course there is the driving, upbeat tunes as well. Although many of the tracks (namely Courage, Fifty-Mission Cap Wheat Kings) can be identified by those not even owning the record, the album never gets tired and despite the popular songs, sounds vivid with listen.

The Hip’s lyrics are one of their strongest attributes. Downie’s knowledge of history, love of hockey and art, his poetic abilities and observational, abstract lyrics all come into effect on ‘Fully Completely’. Fifty-Mission Cap tells the true story of Bill Barilko; defensemen for the Toronto Maple Leafs who scored the winning goal in the 1951 Stanley Cup Playoffs only to vanish that summer on a fishing trip. His body remained missing until 1962, the next time the Leafs won the cup. Wheat Kings references the story about David Milgaard who was wrongly sentenced to life in prison at the age of 16 in 1970. Pigeon Camera is literally about cameras that were put on pigeons as a form of aerial observation during World War One. Locked in the Trunk of a Car is a frantic, intense song both musically and lyrically, written from the point of view of a serial killer with lyrics like “Then, I found a place its dark and it's rotted; It's a cool, sweet kinda-place where the copters won't spot it and I destroyed the map, I even thought I forgot it, however, every day I'm dumping the body”. And starting the record is a great tribute to the Canadian author Hugh MacLennan in Courage.

‘Fully Completely’ has all the elements required for a full grade is one of the best albums of the 90’s that is not only an excellent representative of the band but an essential album within the genre. Mixing different styles like the sleek, driving rock sound to acoustic to alt rock and pop, The Hip really reached their peak with this record and would only build on it with 1994’s ‘Day for Night’. And though this might never get the attention it deserves south of the border and the lyrics may not be entirely relatable to non-Canucks, this album can be appreciated by any fan of rock.

Recommended Songs

Paul Baribeau UnbearableAttack in Black The Curve Of The Earth
Built to Spill The Normal YearsUgly Casanova Sharpen Your Teeth

Two-Headed Boy
May 19th 2007

This album is mere millimeters away from being a classic for me. Great work as usual. :thumb:

MrKite
May 22nd 2007

I guess you submitted this on a day where I never went on the computer at all. I was wondering when you'd write a review for this.

I find that even though I didn't know what the actual lyrics were about you could sense the Canadian in the album.

Great review. You were the perfect person to do the review

/ass kisserThis Message Edited On 05.22.07

EnshuldigunG
April 22nd 2008

Hey man, great review! I dunno if "Wheat Kings" is one of the stronger songs though, even though its still solid. But I totally agree with everything you said (Just curious why you didn't mention the song "fully completely", as it's one of their best songs recorded!)

Burn2Burn
July 7th 2008

Bring me back in shackles and hang me long out in the sun

MatthewGoodFan101
December 4th 2010

A great album of classic Canadian rock songs!

random
December 29th 2011

Locked In The Trunk Of A Car is a great song.

Scoot
December 29th 2011

too many dumb people on this site that have never heard this

DoubtGin

them dumb

Scoot

too dumb

eleventhsun
June 2nd 2012

I'm Canadian so The Hip are like our CCR. Or will be one day.

Seeing them live in a field in Wiarton with thousands of people was one of the finest live experiences ever.

July 5th 2012

I'll bet. The band is absolutely massive in Ontario. Kind of odd they never received attention anywhere else.

Digging: Rinoa - An Age Among Them

July 5th 2012

fuck yeah. the hip rule and this is their best album. gotta love gord downie's vocals eh. dude is a canadian legend.

July 5th 2012

Blues rock is a good description of their sound.

July 5th 2012

i'd say blues indie rock cuz gord. have you seen them live spec?

July 5th 2012

Never seen them live. Almost did a couple years back but had work.

July 6th 2012

aw too bad dude. they definitely exceeded my expectations. i prob sound gay for gord by now, but he really does carry this band - especially live.

one friend i went with was so blown people gave him a good 10x10 space to rock out in. still got some funny videos of that shit.

InbredJed
January 13th 2013

great review, essential record. pos

RickySpanish
March 10th 2013

Only 53 votes. I guess Canadians don't use Sputnik
A lot more people need to hear this.