Bright Eyes
Cassadaga

by Nick Butler EMERITUS
May 16th, 2007 | 10 replies | 5,907 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Shock alert! Conor Oberst has crafted a stunning country-rock album that may well convert even long-time haters into admirers!

Prior to this, my Bright Eyes experience extended to just Lifted, Or The Story Is In The Soil, Keep Your Ear To The Ground and I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, also known as 'The Two Obvious Ones'. My opinions on the man were mixed. I can't possibly deny that when I hear lyrics like 'No-one likes to sleep out in the gutter/Sometimes that's just the most comfortable place', hairs on my neck stand up, but the music could be a little indistinct and derivative (the song those lyrics come from lifts its melody very obviously from Beethoven), and his voice could be really, really, really irritating. Sometimes I've come away from listening to him genuinely believing he's incapable of holding a note.

"Road To Joy" was the only song I took away from those two albums, but it does get pretty heavy rotation on my iTunes, and it's on a buttload of my mp3 player's playlists. Bright Eyes became another great example of an artist I want to really enjoy, and would keep giving chances to, but that I just couldn't really throw myself into fully.

Alas! Cassadaga is EXACTLY the record I want to hear from Bright Eyes at this point. It blows both the two I've heard out of the water by even track two - "Four Winds" is effortlessly brilliant, and thrilling in the way it suggests that Bright Eyes circa-2007 can probably knock out stuff on this level in his sleep, rather than labouring the point and alienating the listener like he has in this point. Oberst's voice, in fact, doesn't appear until 60 seconds in - until that point, he lets the violin take the melody. Little touches like that make this album just seem so much more free, less forced than his past output.

Cassadaga is very much a band's album - the pedal steel guitar, the violin, the organ, the piano, even the drums have their turns to shine here. It's a format that, as far as I'm aware, is new for Bright Eyes, or it's at least one that's far more fully realised on this occasion. It results in a sound that is far more obviously indebted to country than anything I've heard from him before. There's music here you can easily imagine having come out of Nashville in the late 70s. It's also music that would probably have made The Eagles cack themselves had it been competing in the same marketplace. This is a country-rock record that re-dresses the balance towards country, becoming basically a country album that's strong, even swaggering enough to be welcomed by the rock set.

So yes, a band's albums. It just so happens that this band has a very, very good frontman. Because, for the first time, Oberst's voice here is robust. He sounds so much stronger and more confident here, perhaps because of the clearly able musicians surrounding him. Here, when he sings about not knowing his home or his place and feeling uncertain about what life is meant to be for him, he does it wistfully, with a sense of acceptance. At times, you can even imagine a knowing smirk on his face as he delivers a verse like 'I had a lengthy discussion about The Power of Myth/With a post-modern author who didn't exist/In this fictitious world all reality twists/I was a hopeless romantic, now I'm just turning tricks'.

No matter what way I cut this, the likes of "Four Winds", "Soul Singer in a Session Band", "Classic Cars", and "No-One Would Riot For Less" are just damn, damn good songs that form the heart of an album that is touching, enjoyable, melodic, and basically devoid of weak points. So far, this is 2007's most welcome shock, and I definitely expect this album to be riding high when I get around to a 'Best of 2007' list.

Scott Walker Bish BoschEmilie Autumn Fight Like A Girl
Susanne Sundfor The Silicone VeilPepe Deluxe Queen of the Wave
aboynameddirt (3.5)
While it may not be for the casual listener, Cassadega's orchestral country background makes it a lo...

nowhereman1991 (4.5)
Lush and tuneful country-pop that retains super-songwriter Conor Oberst's fragile lyrical voice....

Will C. (4.5)
Cassadaga takes a step back, back from the chaos of modern society hypo criticism, and shows the aud...

Tyler Fisher EMERITUS (4)
Cassadaga pairs Conor Oberst's country obsessions with an orchestra as he spins more personal storie...

FlawedPerfection
May 16th 2007

Yeah, pretty sweet album. I agree with everything you said here.

Two-Headed Boy
May 16th 2007

This review is yes in a can.

Don't really like this album though. It'll probably hit me soon enough but hey.

IsItLuck?
May 16th 2007

great review, agree on pretty much everything (like Road To Joy being one of his best tracks) and how the direction of this album is a nice change.

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

Zmev

This can't be!

The Jungler
May 16th 2007

I know that I need to listen to this again, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Sounds like a worse, overproduced version of I'm Wide Awake . Huge dissapointment.
Nice review though, always good to see you reviewing.

Sepstrup
May 17th 2007

Calling Road to Joy derivative because it uses a melody from Beethoven is like calling any hiphop album you care to mention derivative for sampling.

Iai
May 17th 2007

"Indistinct" is the key point here. By using a Beethoven melody, Bright Eyes joined an elite rank of musicians that includes, uh.....Billy Joel.

Pretty dumb to pick that point up out of context, anyhow. I'm quite obviously referring to his discography as a whole.

Sepstrup
May 17th 2007

I know that you're referring to Bright Eyes in general, but you used that as an example, and I think it's a bad example. That's all I'm saying.

Iai
May 22nd 2007

Yeah, but I couldn't be bothered to listen to his old stuff again. I don't like it that much. Particularly when I'd already quoted a lyric and that example worked fine.

xmattxhardcore
December 4th 2007

I may be the only one that thinks bright eyes are kind of bad...