The Fall of Troy
Manipulator

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
May 16th, 2007 | 257 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Manipulator" plays like an avocado filled with chocolate; ugh at first, but has a delicious chocolate-y guitar center.

Manipulator is nothing more than a stop-gap for the Ghostship album for fans of the Fall of Troy. Lets be perfectly honest; while people were happy a brand new Fall of Troy album was coming, what drew far more interest and yearning was the announcement of a real Ghostship album. Maybe its just me taking all that into context, but while Manipulator is not at all the album Doppelganger was, it is at least a solid release.

Gone is all the uber slick production Thomas Erak (guitarist/singer) and the boys enjoyed on the previous record. Its back to the old style of their original, with the guitar vastly overpowering everything but Erak’s voice in the mix. It’s unfortunate, as Erak has downplayed his playing a bit from the extremely flashy material found on Doppelganger (at least until halfway through) to more song-friendly riffs and pull-offs. It covers up all the great work Andrew Forsman (drums) and Tim Ward (bass) do.

Oh, but wait a minute, they’re pretty much just there to keep songs together so Erak can go balls to the wall. Which is why the first half of the album is boring; it’s a lot of tight, not-TFoT type of songs. I mean, “Quarter Past” is a decent track in its own right, but when you sound like a bad Claudio Sanchez impersonator trying to sing a Mars Volta song, results may vary. Erak certainly tries his hardest to be a jazzy-post-hardcore singer throughout the album, and even attempts to scat sing on “Caught Up” for just a moment. He unfortunately can’t carry the tune for more then two seconds before obviously realizing he just made 12 people have colon cancer.

The first six or so tracks are boring. No doubt about it, they are snoozers, especially if you aren’t already a huge fan (I happen to like them, but eh). Once “Sledgehammer” kicks in, and once again Erak starts to rip your face off with Hot Cross-esque riffing, you immediately hit a breath of fresh air. It’s back the trademark of okay vocals, fun naïve lyrics, neat drum and bass fills, and mother***ingasspwnagerapebaby guitar wanking. Sounding like an insane mixture of Casey from Hot Cross, Cedric from the Mars Volta, and Frank Zappa (in a vague, composition sense), Erak once again shows why we all love The Fall of Troy: he makes complicated riffs sound even more ***ing complicated and nasty.

The album is absolutely nothing new (at least, what is good of it isn’t). By far and away, “Ex-Creations” has taken its rightful place as the best Fall of Troy song, and both “Sledgehammer” and “A Man. A Plan. A Canal. Panama” are amazing songs. Even those songs included though, its more of the same prog wankery, nonsensical, catchy post-hardcore they’ve always made. Except with even crazier guitar leads, and even more annoying vocals. Despite the repetitiveness of the disc, its more than a good holding-stone for fans until the Ghostship album arises sometime near the end of the year, or (please god no) beginning of next.

First half of the record: 2.75
Second half of the record: 4
Thomas Erak’s hotness: 8.5

Final rating: 3.5

Say Anything HebrewsWashboard Leo Thomas Louisiana Bluegrass
Crusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Los Campesinos! No BluesArcade Fire Reflektor
rufinthefury (1.5)
The fall of The Fall of Troy....

KMHouldey (3.5)
The album doesn't immediately draw the listener in, but it later proves to be a solid album....

Maximilian Harkness (4)
Disappointingly tampers with one of my favorite formulas, on it's own its still a great, at times br...

May 16th 2007

yeah i love that invisible tracklist

May 16th 2007

Thought it was already there you bag of sand.

iarescientists
May 16th 2007

Took you long enough, jeeze.

Because I am a whore:
I have been extremely busy the past month, and thus I have been unable to review. It is an extremely unfortunate situation as luck would have it, as 3 albums I want to review have come out in said time.

IsItLuck?
May 16th 2007

well I have the same opinion on the album that you have, except a lower and more fitting rating.

May 16th 2007

Nah, the only bad songs on here are really "Caught Up" "The Dark Trail" and "Quarter Past". Everything else is solid to awesome.

The Jungler
May 16th 2007

Meh I like Fall of Troy, but I doubt I'll ever listen to this.
Nice review, would have been better if you hadn't bumped me out of the top spot . I thought this had been reviewed before, as well.

iarescientists
May 16th 2007

It was reviewed by 6 different people before it was supposed to, so they all got deleted, so now we have this shitheap.

May 16th 2007

Stop hatin' because I dont talk to yo ass no more.
Anyways, there were around 3 reviews submitted before the release date that were deleted. For some reason they never submitted them again. Why, I have no idea.

john ♥ zach

so uh i don't have much interest in this seeing as how doppelganger is merely average

Iai

I love the summary.

plane

I quite like this.

And this is a great review, but you are the most informal staff writer here. It's charming or something like that. I might go out and buy the album to support the band.

May 16th 2007

informal is spanish for worst

this is of course my jealousy speaking here

plane

start writing like this and i'll vote chan for staff writer '07

altrockdude
May 16th 2007

wow i have to admit that.... i really think the only reason people dont like the first half of the album is becasue its not the Fall Of troy theyre used to hearing. Take it as something you havent heard before. I love this album, and if you really asked me... I like it more than Doppelganger... ya I said it. POTH will kick this things ass tough

Slaapkamers
May 16th 2007

I'm pretty sure they're used to hearing bad music.

IsItLuck?

basically.

Pizza
May 17th 2007

Pretty good review. I agree that the second half of the album dominates the first half, but the first half is still pretty damn good. songs like the dark trail and semifiction are good stuff. Oh! the casino!?, however, is shit.
And I agree that Ex-Creations is the best TFOT song, it's soo good

I can't wait till the ghostship album, glorious it shall be

Intransit
May 17th 2007

John: "Quarter Past is the best fall of troy song ever"
Me: "Quarter Past fucking sucks. In fact, of the 5 songs I've been able to sit through, Problem?! is the only one worth a shit"

WTF B? Although, I am glad you rectified your mistake.

Wyko
May 17th 2007

"Cut Down The Trees" and "Oh, The Casino" are the only really bad tracks in this. Good review though, I agree with your opinion on the last 6 tracks .