Emission Phase

by Chrome54 USER (2 Reviews)
May 8th, 2007 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Detonation has crafted one of the best melodic death metal albums to come out in a long time, filled with massive thrashy riffs and awe-inspiring melodic hooks.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what Melodic Death Metal should be.

I remember when Detonation's previous effort, Portals to Uphobia, came out. It was a pretty damn good album. Not the greatest I'd ever heard, but still pretty damn good. It encompassed all the important elements of the genre. The innate thrashiness of death metal, combined with a few helpings of melody to really make the experience memorable. I'm happy to say that, with Emission Phase, Detonation have taken all the best aspects of their previous album, and intensified them into infinity. This album is one hell of a listen. It's catchy and very melodic (but not overly saccharine melodies found in a lot of these new metalcore bands, we're talking about a darker, brooding melody), yet complex and headbang-inducingly thrashy, definitely a winning formula. From the opening notes of the fantastic "Invoking the Impact," you know you're in for a wild ride.

The first aspect of this element that really deserves praise is the guitar work. The boys from Holland really outdid themselves here. The album is jam packed with monstrous grooves, hyper-melodic fills, and sky-high solos. A great example of the solos on this album is the one near the end of "Defects of an Isolated Mind;" it's melodic, yet quirky, and is set upon the perfect backdrop of chords, giving it the kind of doom-like atmosphere and feeling that the album seems to stand for. There's also the solo section of "Soul Severence," which takes a more conventional approach, yet still leaves you reeling because of its shear melodic beauty. I also want to note that the chord progressions these guys chose are splendid. Perfect for the mood of the album.

Everything else about this albums fits in its place perfectly. The drums are amazingly executed, and work perfectly with the guitar to create the thrash element of this album. The bass, while understated, is effective in giving the album weight. The producers also obviously know what they're doing as well. The mix of the album is spotless and clean, but not overdone, so the album still retains the character of its creators, and doesn't venture into the realms of sterility.

I promised myself that I wouldn't go into a song-by-song description, but there's one song that absolutely needs to be mentioned: the album's closing track, Fallout. While the rest of the album denotes life in a frenzied, panicked state, this track brings only the feeling of death. Listening to this track conjures images of the Earth reduced to a barren lifeless wasteland, after the cataclysm of a meteorite impact that destroys, well, everything.

Melodic Death Metal has become watered down in recent years, as most of you well know. As of late, there's been too much emphasis on the melodic aspect, which has only served to create albums that pander the mall-core demographic of the metal world. What Detonation have done is they've gone out and created a real METAL album. When you listen to this album, you'll be banging your head around one minute to the massive thrash attack, and you'll be staring off into eternity, contemplating the meaning of life the next (but mostly the former headbanging part). It is my hope that these guys continue on their current path, because if this album is any indication, these guys have what it takes to be the kings of the melodic death metal mountain.

May 8th 2007

Nice review. Disagree with the rating a bit, but then again I'm not really a Detonation fan.

May 8th 2007

I'd probably have this in between 2.5-3. I really like the music they play and I love the sound. But for some reason I have a hard time getting through the album whenever I try to listen to it. They have potential for sure.

Nice review.

May 9th 2007

Very good for a first, i may check this out... maybe.

May 9th 2007

pretty good review. i just downloaded this and its pretty decent...feels like a grower. i think they have potential to get better

May 15th 2007

i could do without the clean passages, i'm not sure why they are even there... but the album is stellar. i've been stuck on portals, but this album is about to receive some serious play!

May 17th 2007

My band was lucky enough to open for Detonation at their Exeter show on their UK tour earlier this month, they are really tight live and can get a good crowd going.

I'm yet to hear the whole album, but going from their live performance I'm sure its worth a high rating

May 21st 2008

I dont like the vocals but the music is pretty good from what I remember
havent listened to this album in ages though, Im talking nearly a year.

Ima give it another listen tonight

What can I say, listening to this again just proves how bad my memory is, the whole thing kicks ;)This Message Edited On 05.29.08

August 20th 2009

This album is one of the few melodeath albums which will never be stale. Absolutely fantastic. They deserve as much recognition as Insomnium , if not more.

May 29th 2010

great album, vocals can get a little grating though

May 4th 2014

I gave it a go. Chokedamp is the only song I like.

Site Copyright 2005-2014