Motley Crue
20th Century Masters

1.5
very poor

by sonictheplumber STAFF USER (107 Reviews)
April 27th, 2007 | 14 replies | 6,965 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Look at the rating. That's your summary.

Compilations. You either love them or hate them. I have a friend whose favorite Led Zeppelin album is Early Days. Also, many people consider Bob Marley's post-humous collection, Legend, to be among the greatest albums of all time. However, some people hate compilations, some may even dislike the aforementioned so-called classic Legend. Some say that a compilation is awful because it only contains the famous songs and the hits, or just a bunch of songs off of one album, like with Jimi Hendrix's 20th Century Masters. I know that a compilation can be terrible. It can be good though.

Is this album, Motley Crue's 20th Century Masters, good at all? No, not good whatsoever. First of all, there are twelve tracks, and pretty much less than half of those tracks are good songs. This throw-away "album" contains songs from Generation Swine and such. Now, Motley Crue is an 80's band, and the perfect example of how a change of decades can destroy a band. Motley Crue released five albums in the 80's, and three of them are considered hair metal classics. The 90's role along, and Vince the vocalist leaves the band and is replaced by someone who can't sing. Then, Vince rejoins, and the band still sucks.

Another problem is the length. Do you think that Bob Marley's Legend or The Smith's Hatful Of Hollow are less than forty minutes in length? Why, of course not. A very good compilation should at least exceed the fifty minute mark. Now, I am perfectly aware that 20th Century Masters compilations are just plain short, always. But still, to be below the forty minute mark AND lack good material is just terrible. The lack of songs is a problem as well, but that sort of falls in the same category as length I suppose. But, I guess I should be grateful for the lack of material and the short length, because when this many songs are abysmal, you don't exactly want an hour of it.

That's three bad things already. But, there is a small amount of good in this garbage can of songs. I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure, and about two or three of these tracks are in fact treasure. Shout At The Devil, the title track for the 1984 hair metal classic, is a superb Motley Crue song, being one of the best ones in the band's catalogue. This song is heavy, fast, and just an overall great song. The guitar is loud and screechy, the lyrics are Satanic-ish, the chorus is memorable, and everything about the song is good. Also being a good track is Kickstart My Heart, which is a fast tune with some laidback elements to it, but still providing many of the pleasures that the aforementioned Shout At The Devil provides us with. Girls, Girls, Girls is also one of the Crue's most memorable, providing us with some great guitar, sexy and dirty lyrics, and everything else needed for a hair metal classic. Once again, this is a track that contains many of the pleasures that Shout At The Devil has, but Shout At The Devil is still the best song in this turd of a compilation album. We also have some decent tracks in here, like Home Sweet Home from 1985's Theatre Of Pain. This is a ballad, and this song was a huge hit, and this is really the song that started the ballad craze of the mid to late eighties. Too Young To Fall In Love also provides some decency as well.

After typing that big old paragraph about the good songs on the album, you would think that my score would be higher, and it probably would be if it weren't for the final problem of this so-called "album": The lack of classics and hits. The Crue had so many hits in the 80's that are absent from this compilation. Dr. Feelgood is considered to be one of the 80's finest songs, yet it is missing. Live Wire is one of the band's fastest and heaviest songs yet it is missing. Wild Side, Looks That Kill, the band's cover of Smokin' In The Boys' Room, even Same 'Ol Situation could have been on this album, yet all of those songs are nowhere to be seen(or heard).

So what have we learned? We have learned that 20th Century Masters albums are just pretty much terrible, except for a few of them. We have learned that while Motley Crue seems like a decent band when you listen to some of their 80's material, but when you enter the 90's, they just suck. We have also learned that the guys who compiled this compilation probably don't like Motley Crue.

Pros:
+A few good tracks

Cons:
- Lack of material
- Length
- Abysmal tunes
- Lack of hits and classics
- Anything else that you can possibly think of

NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL