Bring Me the Horizon
Count Your Blessings

2.0
poor

by Theo H. USER (18 Reviews)
April 27th, 2007 | 223 replies | 68,343 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

I usually find myself in the company of one particular individual who cannot stop harping on about this band, Bring Me The Horizon. Now, he is a slight emo so I was apprehensive when it came to checking them out. The fact he said they were death metal too only heightened my sense of foreboding, seeing as he doesn’t really know his genres too well, and I may well have been disappointed.

It all came to a climax the other day when I finally told him that I would at least stream their album, because I really could not take his nagging much longer. I must say, I really was surprised. The heaviness, dual vocals and blast beat drumming hit me like a steam train and I remember thinking, ‘Wow, he actually has good taste!’ Obviously the most notable thing was the vocals. They are pretty impressive and used to good effect. Oliver Sykes’s higher pitched hardcore vocals make an impact, especially when contrasted with the much, much more guttural vocals coming from another band member. I was impressed.

However the magic didn’t last as the album went on. This band suffers from something which cripples so many other greater bands; repetition. These songs really are far too similar. The general formula goes: verse, chorus, breakdown, verse, possible solo (not very good ones either) and a final breakdown. Look how many breakdowns there are! There is at least one in every single song. For me, that completely kills the whole vibe, especially when one breakdown can’t be told from another. It also rules out whatever possibility there was of this being Death Metal, instead being demoted to Deathcore. Disappointing.

By the fifth song, I was bored. I looked at the track listing and stared in disbelief as there were five whole songs to go. I’m sure that I wasn’t the only one to hold those feelings as the album drones on.

The lyrics are also worth a mention. With these it was easy to see what made people think that they were an emo (except for their hair of course). It is obvious that they’ve all been screwed over their fair share of occasions, mostly by girls it would seem. The lyrics are clichéd in places and definitely didn’t take a long time to invent. It does not help that most of the lyrics are repeated entirely simply to make the song longer.

Despite all this negativity, I do feel that this is a decent enough debut from a swiftly up and coming band and it shall be interesting to see what they produce in the future. By all means, if you’re a fan of hardcore then you should probably like this album if you don’t mind going heavier than usual, just make sure you don’t pay full price.

2/5

Cherry Ghost Thirst For RomanceEnter Shikari Take to the Skies
2.8
good
  • DragonHeartstring (4)
    Count Your Blessings stands out among most deathcore as being considerably better written,...

DirtBagDan (2)
    An album that starts off with a lot of potential but whittles it away with every passing m...

Michael B. (1.5)
    Pray for plagues, indeed....

Zipzop5565 (1)
    If you’re incredibly sick after a night of binge drinking, and need to regurgitate the t...

• Chris Higgins (2.5)
    Boring and repetitive, yet filled with energy. Can Oli Syke's steal the show enough to mak...

AntennaofVertebrae (4)
    One Of the best england hardcore acts out today this disc shows the best of whats to come...

Cody York (4)
    This album is fast and brutal, invoking elements from thrash, metal, hardcore and somehow ...

xAnthx (4.5)
    Bring Me The Horizon has released an aggression-filled and technical album that is simply ...

i am the robots
April 27th 2007

Not remotely emo. It's a great album... how could you not like Medusa or Pray For Plagues?

Also, not their debut.

Also, no hardcore vocals on this album, another sign you have no clue what you're talking about.

Another idiotic statement you made was the breakdowns meaning it cant be death metal, followed by the fact that youre saying that it's not death metal is a bad thing.

If you're a fan of Through The Eyes Of The Dead, All Shall Perish, Between The Buried And Me, Prayer For Cleansing, Job For A Cowboy, As Blood Runs Black, etc. definitely check this out.This Message Edited On 04.27.07

April 27th 2007

Eleventeen 1, Last Dodo 0.

i am the robots

Was?

April 27th 2007

The irony. I won't neg because it was well written, but you should work on having a better understanding of the genres you try to relate this to. And for the love of christ, stop saying "an emo".

April 27th 2007

this review is very an emo

plane
April 27th 2007

You guys, if you sing about getting screwed over you're emo obviously.

kalkal50
April 28th 2007

I hate emocore, and how these guys ramble on about losing the love of their life through a whole album. It's pretty much portrayed in the repetitiveness.

Monticello
April 28th 2007

Alright I'll admit to that, this was a poor show.
I never said they were emo, I'm saying some other people may have thought they were emo.
Debut full length
I'll concede to the breakdown argument. But I only meant it was dissapointing for me.

I'll stick to what I know now.

April 28th 2007

No man, branching out of your comfort zone is awesome, just take this all in stride.

May 2nd 2007

All of those bands are great.

But god is this album fucking awful.

Not a bad review though.

Monticello
May 2nd 2007

Thaaank you ^^ I appreciate that.

Pebster49
May 27th 2007

I don't get the problem with someone talking about there loss for love of there life or emocore, as long as they have good music who cares. I hate Viking Metal lyrics and same with Power Metal lyrics because they are like what geeks talk about, but damn they can make good music. These guys are very talented, breakdowns, solos, the works. If this is Emo, then its the best ive ever heard by far by any emo band

LifeInABox
May 28th 2007

As Blood Runs Black
Pretty decent band. Has potential.This Message Edited On 07.26.07

June 17th 2007

^^^ They are young. Give them time.

Kudos to digging Pig Destroyer, my fave band atm.

ballinforeal
June 22nd 2007

geez. bmth isnt horrible there music is a bit melodic reminds me of old black dahlia murder but with different vocals..and oliver sykes does all the vocals..yeah the lyrics are kind of shitty but at least there singing about shit they know about instead of castles and dragons and going to war with orcs and shit. i mean..eternal lord and abigail williams and dragonforce are all good..but you know epic shit is kind of weird...unless you play WoW or some shit..

and dood. come on you like opeth. gay. bmth isnt that bad. sure theyre kind of sceney but hey everyone likes them. and thats better than being a 40 year old dood with a beard and dreads...(nile,cannibal corpse)... theyre getting really popular. and everyone always gives them shit.

July 10th 2007

I hope your comment count of 5 doesn't get much bigger.

I like Opeth? Gay?

That was seriously beyond retardation.

BMTH are a disgrace to UK metal. Listen to Johnny Truant instead.

kalkal50
July 10th 2007

Take your stupid fanboyism and retarded comments about Opeth and leave, dweeb.

SGT SNIP3R
July 10th 2007

to the kid who said Opeth is gay... are you retarded? lol.

serously though you cant call the most original metal band "gay." if you dont like them thats fine but still, not gay.

in relation to this album, is this just your standard metalcore album? or does it bring anything new to the table?

July 10th 2007

The username ballinforeal alone is enough to cause severe lulz.

skeggjadr
July 11th 2007

This is another one of those bands that have an army of little teeny girl fans who say how they fancy the lead singer and how he's "so hawt" etc.

But I don't get it... he's a scrawny little ugly bastard with girls hair!