Protest the Hero
Kezia

by Kit Brown USER (73 Reviews)
April 26th, 2007 | 56 replies | 10,471 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Protest the Hero give the metal and hardcore world a new look with both their musical sophistication and raw energy. Despite a few flaws, it's a must have for almost anyone.

Imagine an album that almost anyone can get something out of. If you’re a musician, you’d be able to appreciate the intricacy and technicality. If you’re a punk rocker, you’d love the raw energy. If you’re into metal, you’d get a kick out of the often heavy riffs and breakdowns. And if you’re into lighter music, don’t fret; there are plenty of melodic and catchy moments throughout. Sounds like a great album, doesn’t it? Well, it definitely is.

I can think of only a few albums that cover as much ground as Protest the Hero’s Kezia does. This album brings the furious drumming of punk with the face-melting guitar acrobatics of technical death and progressive metal. And on top of that, you’ve got soaring vocals that give this album almost a post-hardcore feel. You’re introduced to this smorgasbord of sounds almost immediately, as “No Stars over Bethlehem” greets you with a crushing intensity. The drums really carry this album along for Kezia’s entirety, as the bass drum is incredibly loud in the mix and relentlessly pounds away until the acoustic guitars close at the very end of “A Plateful of Our Dead”.

While the drums provide a very intense and solid background, the real treat of Kezia is the eyebrow-raising, head-banging, and devil-horn-throwing work of the guitars and bass. This is one of the most intricate and complicated albums to follow in terms of guitar work. The three string musicians are often all playing different parts, and each part is often quite technical. If a guitar part is ever seems relaxed, it’s pretty easy to hear either the other guitar track or bass track laying down a crazy run, tapping section, or sweep arpeggio. Some of my personal favorites in this album are the sweeping trade-offs at the end of “Heretics and Killers”, the head-bobbing 7/8 groove section in “Divinity Within”, and the incredibly technical intro in “Turn Soonest to the Sea”. These are just a few examples, but you can rest assured that this album is filled to the brim with very impressive guitar work. Any guitarist or bassist should find it easy to appreciate Kezia, especially because everyone in the band is so young.

The vocals are really a toss-up with me, and always have been. Upon first hearing this album I remember enjoying them, and I thought that Rody Walker’s voice, while being different from almost anything I’ve heard from a metal band, was good. I’ve definitely listened to this album many times since then, and I’ve come to think less of it. While he certainly shows potential as a great melodic singer, he just doesn’t seem to fit as well as another vocalist could. Someone like Tommy Rogers from Between the Buried and Me would be much better for this band, but I have confidence that Rody will be able to pull off a better performance by their next release. While some of his vocal moments are very powerful (like the final minute of “Nautical”), there’s still some parts that just annoy the living hell out of me (like “Turn Soonest to the Sea” at 3:41). Rody’s super-high notes are just really out of place and just don’t need to be there at the album. They stick out like a sore thumb and leave a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the song.

Overall, this album is definitely a success. Kezia definitely gives the listener a lot to absorb, which gives tremendous replay value. You’ll definitely find plenty of moments that you’ll cherish and listen to time and time again, be it the sophistication that the guitars offer, or the sheer power that the drums and vocals give you. There’s a few rough spots that I’m sure the band can easily patch up in the near future. Protest the Hero is certainly off to a roaring start with this album, and show loads of potential in both the metal and hardcore worlds. I’d recommend this album to damn near anyone.

Thor’s Top 3 from this album:

Iwrestledabearonce It's All HappeningConverge Caring and Killing
Born of Osiris The New ReignThe Faceless Planetary Duality

Thor
April 26th 2007

It's good to be reviewing again. :D

LanoJones
April 26th 2007

Good review, though I really like Rody's vocals in the band. Good Job, Thor.

Pluh
April 26th 2007

Cool review, my favorite song on here has to be The Divine Suicide of K. The girl they have in there for backup vocals is just amazing... i love her voice in that song. either way, sweet band and nice review.

Bfhurricane
April 26th 2007

Excellent review Thor. This is one of my favorite modern metal albums. I actually might not even call this modern metal... its... just so different... anyway the only thing I disagree with is your comment about Tommy Rogers. I couldnt see him replacing Rody, too much screaming. Rodys punk voice fits the bill perfectly, imo.

April 26th 2007

yea definitely a good review. as for this album, i've been on the fence for months as to whether i should rate this a 5. it's one of my favorite albums but i just don't feel right giving it a 5. i probably will eventually but as for right now it stays at 4.5

Mikesn
April 26th 2007

Good review thunder god. I just re-discovered this and I really like it.

Intransit
April 26th 2007

Yep, good stuff. Unfortunately, I highly doubt any review could capture why this album is so great.

April 26th 2007

I've been meaning to re-write mine for ages, but I don't think I will. I've got big plans for the new album, though (review wise).

iarescientists

Maybe cause it isn't so great, omg.This Message Edited On 04.26.07

Your opinion is false

Intransit
April 26th 2007

Zach go listen to ska or something kthx.

April 26th 2007

Nobody listens to ska anymore.

iarescientists
April 26th 2007

Yeah, seeing as how I have 3 ska albums rated out of the 170 albums I have rated, I pretty much love ska to death.

April 26th 2007

you guys you shouldnt be fiiiiiiiighting

plane

Great review, Thor. I should get this y/n

The Door Mouse

2092 Comments

God damn double posts!This Message Edited On 04.26.07

CheckersOnMyShoesYo
April 26th 2007

But whats wrong with ska, other than the annoying noises the singers make, the blaring horns, and annoying guitars? Oh and their penchant for stupid band names....

Ok, never mind. Ska sucks.

plane