Sanctity
Road to Bloodshed

by Shattered_Future USER (50 Reviews)
April 25th, 2007 | 30 replies | 7,946 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sanctity's debut album displays a band who may prove to be one of the best things to ever happen to popular American metal.

I’ll admit, I’m quite suprised with Roadrunner Records these days. Once a haven for some absolutely terrific metal bands in the 80s and 90s, they somehow managed to sign almost every crappy band on the planet when nu-metal became all the rage. Thankfully, RR has (almost) learned the error of their ways, and has made an effort to sign many well respected names in the metal scene, including Nightwish, Opeth, and Megadeth.

However, one of Roadrunner’s newest acquisitions is starting to make waves in the American metal scene. With their debut album Beneath The Machine, Sanctity appears to be one of American metal’s next big thing. And I have to say, out of anybody, these guys do deserve it. Sanctity appeared out of nowhere to snag a support slot on last year’s Gigantour, and since then have built up a fanbase. Ironically enough, they were discovered by Trivium’s Matt Heafy, a man who has almost single-handedly ruined everything American metal has strived to achieve. But I guess there’s a silver lining to every cloud, even one that doesn’t know that Metallica died 20 years ago.

All Trivium bashing aside (ok, last one: seriously, what the hell is wrong with these guys? They’re ***ing TERRIBLE), Sanctity is nothing like them. I think the only way to classify Sanctity is neo-thrash, even though I hate labels like that. They’re probably one of the only bands to deserve a label like that. They took the sound of 80s thrash metal, including all the chugging and shred solos, and brought it into the 21st century. It may sound bad, but for the most part, Sanctity pulls it off.

However, Sanctity also manage to blend elements of power metal and (sigh) American metal into their music. Every so often, some string arrangements will make an appearance in the music, and they do work out well for the band. They complement the downtuned palm muted riffs that Sanctity cranks out very well. However, Sanctity being a RR band, some American metal (and metalcore) influences did make it into their songs. Occasionally, the listener will come across one of those oh so familiar palm muted patterns that plagues the majority of Victory Records’ bands. While there are thankfully not too many moments like this, every so often one of these riffs rears its ugly head.

I think vocalist Jared shares influences from both Lemmy from Motorhead and Johan from Amon Amarth. While there are some clean singing moments, most of the vocals churned out on this album are a form of “shouting in key”. They are probably the weakest part of the band; while they are tolerable, the vocals do get extremely irritating if listened to for long periods of time. If Sanctity had either Jared concentrate more on straight cleans, or found a new vocalist who did only cleans, it would work out well in their favor.

However, the music is what sets them apart from the rest of their American counterparts, save a few exceptions. Sanctity ACTUALLY know how to write music. It’s catchy, but at the same time, there is an actual sense of musicianship from all of the members. Chugging riffs and terrific solos make their way into every song, backed up by passable drums and a bass that you can actually hear, which is a rarity for RR bands. While this record still shows the band’s immaturity as songwriters, they have chops to burn, and with more experience, they could become an extremely good band.

Sanctity’s debut is an above average release from some rising stars in the American metal scene. While they still have a ways to go, one cannot deny the talent these four North Carolina natives possess, in both instrumental and compositional ability. I’m very interested to see where this band goes in their future: if Road To Bloodshed is any indication, this band has a very bright and illustrious career ahead of them.

Recommended Tracks:
Beneath The Machine
Billy Seals
Zeppo
The Rift Between

Swallow the Sun Plague Of ButterfliesJeff Loomis Zero Order Phase
Mar De Grises Draining The WaterheartMono You Are There
Alanis Morissette Flavors of EntanglementAlexandre Desplat The Golden Compass OST
Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (4)
After being presented to Roadrunner Records by Trivium’s Matthew K. Heafy does Sanctity live up to...

Kalle J. (3.5)
If you’re really a fan of the groove, then this band’s debut album will hit you like a freight t...

Mikesn
April 25th 2007

I started a review for this album a few days ago, but then I realized that I didn't really like this too much.

Great job with the review, however.

April 25th 2007

yeah good review. might get this, looks sort of interesting.

plane
April 25th 2007

yeah good review. might get this, looks sort of interesting.

DaTwig
April 25th 2007

I've been thinking about reviewing this. Still might. Alright review, seemed more like a general write-up of the band, some info on the highlight songs would have been nice.
I've been looking forward to this ever since I saw the band play at Gigantour. Got this, and I have to say I'm not that dissapointed. Still needs a few listens to fully digest, though.

clairvoyant
April 25th 2007

nice review, i might check it out sometime

jrowa001
April 26th 2007

good review, except the trivium bashing was uncalled for. might check this out

ToWhatEnd
April 26th 2007

[quote=review]All Trivium bashing aside (ok, last one: seriously, what the hell is wrong with these guys? They’re ***ing TERRIBLE)[/quote] This made me LMFAO, like more than it should have.

Wizard

19343 Comments

Nice review but I think the insulting of other bands can distract the reader from your intelligent comments about the album (in this case its fine, because you are dealing with a bunch of Trivium haters on this site hahahaha). I personally like Trivium hahahaha, but good review none the less. I'm really enjoying this 'neo-thrash' movement in metal and so, I will check these guys out. I find God Forbid to be one of the more solid neo-thrash bands out there today. If you havent checked them out and you like this sub-genre, I would recommend them.

Digging: Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra - The Key to the Gates of the Apocalypse

spoon_of_grimbo
April 26th 2007

i really like this album. a lot of the riffs remind me of the stuff trivium were doing on ascendancy, but a lot more technical. basically, this is what the crusade should have sounded like if matt heafy's claims ("ridiculously technical, melodic thrash") were true (i quite like all triviums albums though, for the recod). that said, they dont sound too much like trivium, they've got their own sound, and the vocals are pretty distinctive. good review too!

Shattered_Future

Yes, I know the Trivium bashing was uncalled for, but humor me. I got bored. :p

I still think the band has a ways to go, but they do have quite a bit of potential.

Wizard

19343 Comments

I just wanted to say that I just listened to these guys. Pretty unoriginal stuff (at least from what Ive heard from their Myspace page). They really sound similar to newer Testament (guitar and voice wise).

XTA
May 6th 2007

i saw this band live with amon amarth and children of bodom. if i remember correctly, they were terrible.

HeavyDevy
May 12th 2007

Judging by the way you describe it this seems better then a 3.5

kalkal50
May 18th 2007

sweet review, will check this out sometime even though its just above average, but i don't know why you gave it a 3.5 if those were your exact words. You're right though, the vocals are a turn-off.This Message Edited On 05.18.07

LifeInABox
May 18th 2007

Ironically enough, they were discovered by Trivium’s Matt Heafy
Then they must be "virtuoso's" but still suck at the same time! None-the-less, I might check it out. Sounds promising. Pretty good review.This Message Edited On 05.18.07

kalkal50
May 19th 2007

the vocals are torture for my ears.. they should get some dude to growl or something, the "shouting in key" just sucks

Mikesn
May 19th 2007

Yeah the vocals are really annoying. This isn't really all that bad, but it just doesn't hold my interest very well.

Aeksis8745
May 30th 2007

Just got this and even though I haven't fully digested it yet, it sounds pretty good to me.

ThePrimer
July 17th 2007

The vocals remind me of 3 Inches Of Blood but less whiney

I liked the recommended songs, I think I'll get this sometime
EDIT: It's awesome! I loved this albumThis Message Edited On 07.17.07

CityOfEvil
July 27th 2007

I love it. Beneath the Machine and The Rift Between are my two favorites.