Kill Hannah
Until Theres Nothing Left Of Us

by station15 USER (1 Reviews)
April 21st, 2007 | 23 replies | 6,359 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The follow up to their major label debut, Until Theres Nothing Left Of Us rocks hard with catchy synth lines, agressive guitars and anthemic vocals. Kill Hannah is truly a force to be rekoned with in the modern rock arena.

Until Theres Nothing Left Of Us is the second major label release by the Chicago based group, Kill Hannah, but contrary to common knowledge, they are not a new band. Kill Hannah has existed as a bedroom project and underground band since the mid 90's. Despite their early beginnings as shoegaze, however, Kill Hannah has moved into a synth-rock or modern alternative band with high potential for mainstream sucsess.

The first track, Life In The Artic, is the intro track for the record and opens the album on a very good note. Lots of electronics and feedback are layered over drums and bass to create a very cinematic opening. this track leads into the faux title track of the record, Believer. The song showcases not only Matt's vocals, but also the guitar work of the record superbly with a strong solo. The first single, and the most widely known track on the album, Lips Like Morphine, is the next track and features great vocal hooks and driving guitars. The following track, Black Poison Blood, begins softly and slowly builds to a strong chorus, and makes good use of not only the guitars, but a piano as well. The next track, Love You To Death, showcases the band's ability to write a pop song that pays tribute to 90's Garbage. The Collapse is the next track and opens ominously, but quickly moves into a more poppy sounding chorus. Statues Without Eyes is the first softer song on the album and has a very beautiful ballad feel to it. However, the mood does not remain for long as Crazy Angel, a song tat has been rumoured to be the next single, opens into a great synth line over driving guitars. Ther verses are strong and the chorus is anthemic as Matt's vocals altrernate with synth lines to create for a great potential single. Under The Milky Way is a cover song done by the band, and is one of the less notable songs on the album. That is not to say that its not a good song, however. The Songs That Saved My Life is a tribute to an old mix tap Matt has as a kid and is once again, a very anthemic tribute to them. Scream is probably the most unique song on the album by the bands standards, as it opens with soft, melodic pianos and is a beautiful track. Sleep Tight is the closing track and has a very similar feel to the opening track, giving the album a true sense of closure.

Sound: 9
UTNLOU has a very high production value throughout. This is primarily due to the use of two very notable producers, Johnny K and Chris Lord Alge who both did an astounding jobs on the record and truly captured the bands sound. Musically, the album has a very anthemic sound with big, drving electric guitars, strong bass tones and superb drums. Matt's vocals have changed significantly throughout the bands career and this is no exception. He really improved his singing style for this record, hitting notes stronger and sustaining notes for longer. The synth, pianos, guitars, bass, drums and vocals all combine very well on this record and the high level of talent in this band makes for a very interesting listen every time.

Lyrics: 8
Kill Hannah has always had bragging rights in terms of lyrics. Matt's lyrics have always been nothing short of poetic and this album does not fall short of expectations. From the line "I need you to believe in me until theres nothing left of us" to the imagery on Black Poison Blood, the album is awesome, lyrically and Matt has a great ability to connect with his listeners.

Overall: 9
The album as a whole is a brilliant effort by the Chicago four piece and the mood of the record flows well from track to track. It is definatley one of my favorite albums right now and I urge everyone who gives them a listen to remember their name, cause someday, Kill Hannah is gonna be big.

plane
April 21st 2007

I'm not a fan of the format. It's kind of hard to read, and it's pretty much a tbt without the helpful spacing and specific detailing of the songs.

But mostly I disagree You describe this well and why you might like it, but Kill Hannah is far from having bragging rights with their lyrics, and certainly not poetic, not to mention that their sound is worse than their lyrics. This is really horrible.This Message Edited On 04.22.07

Oblivioncry
April 21st 2007

i just listend to the album the 10th time, i like it, its in someway like AFI or the juliana theory.

'Hopefully Kill Hannah never, ever makes it big'
to wish someone you don't even know something bad isn't good, just arrogant/ignorant/bitchy.

a little bit more info on the songs would be appreciated.
and no, the lyrics ain't in no way poetic, read real poems and you'll know the difference between sweet beautiful texts (what this band has nicely) and poetic masterpieces^^

plane
April 21st 2007

ugh whatever, i don't care. i just don't like the band.This Message Edited On 04.21.07

The Sludge
April 22nd 2007

The end ratings is found on ultimate guitar. Not that creative, nor professional.

btbam99
March 15th 2008

i love the sludge's avatar lol
but as for the band
they are pretty good
some songs take getting used to though
and their lyrics arent exactly the best either but it works for them

HeadCharge123
June 1st 2008

This band suck ****

lachstew
October 8th 2008

Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!Kill Hannah!

xmOBSCENEx
December 29th 2008

album was swell overall
love you to death is my favorite

fromtheinside

June 13th 2011

I WANNA GIRL WITH LIPS LIKE MORPHIINEEEEEE

Digging: We Came Out Like Tigers - Ever-Crushed at Pecket's Well

June 13th 2011

The only good song on this

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

Krytix
August 15th 2011

I love this album. I listen it pretty much all the time. It's like my happy music, I honestly love the newest album the most.

modey3
September 19th 2011

You know what's creepy? The lead singer is in his mid-30s and he comes off as trying to score with chicks half his age!

TheVoiceAndTheSnake
September 19th 2011

These guys were one of the musical highlights during my middle school yrs

DaveyBoy

20855 Comments

Following in the footsteps of AFI & My Chemical Romance, Chicago alt-rockers Kill Hannah dial down the dual guitar attack a little & head for the big time on 5th LP 'Until There's Nothing Left Of Us'. More slickly produced than their previous releases, the quintet play to their new-wave & pop sensibilities here, wisely choosing to refine their electro-rock while not forsaking their distinctive glam & androgynous nature. It makes for Kill Hannah's best & most consistent effort to date, even if bad timing meant that 'The Black Parade' would take much of its glory. Recommended Tracks: Lips Like Morphine, Believer, Crazy Angel & Songs That Saved My Life.

Archelaos
June 2nd 2012

Is anything on here better than "Lips Like Morphine" (which I do not particularly like)?

DaveyBoy

20855 Comments

Nah, if you don't like that track, you won't like most of the album as it's all in that slick, poppy fashion.

Mickeymau5
August 18th 2012

Crazy angel

Storm In A Teacup
August 18th 2012

all the comments on here have me genuinely unsure what to expect from this band but davey and andcas rated this high so i mean it can't be all bad like Nirvana or something so i'll try it out