AC/DC
AC/DC Live

by sonictheplumber STAFF USER (107 Reviews)
April 19th, 2007 | 20 replies | 17,705 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Great album. If you want a good live album, listen to this.

AC/DC is one of those bands that you either love or hate, or just kind of think they're ok. Mostly people in the South, people who don't listen to progrock, and people in Australia listen to them. But they are popular in lots of other places and are generally considered by critics as a great band. I'm sure there are other people who listen to them, but after going to this site so much, I've almost been convinced that no one likes them, but I guess that's not really true. Or maybe it is. Wait, it isn't. It doesn't really matter though, because I like AC/DC.

AC/DC has had a good career. 1980's Back In Black is one of the most successful and best-selling albums of all-time. Highway To Hell sells pretty good as well, and that album is their real best album. They admit to being nothing more than a simple hard rock band with very simple songs and simple lyrics. Another thing that they're famous for is being a great live band. Lead guitarist Angus Young usually shows the crowd his guitar skills, as well as his mooning skills. Cannons go off. There are explosions and all that. AC/DC can really put on a show. Have I ever been to one? No, but I've seen plenty of concert videos to know that they really can put on a good show.

What does this have to do with anything? Maybe the fact that I'm reviewing a LIVE album by AC/DC. It's a great album, with so much energy that it actually feels as if you're at an AC/DC concert somewhere. You can't see the cannons. You can't see Angus moon the crowd. But you can hear it.

Disc One

Disc one is a pretty good disc, but it's the worst of the two because it's mostly Brian Johnson songs, the person who's doing the vocals. The disc begins with an appropriate opener, "Thunderstruck", from the album released prior to this one, known as 1990's The Razor's Edge. It begins with some impressive finger-tapping guitar playing by Angus, and then after about a minute or two of that, the crowd cheering, and "nahnahnahnahnahnahnah Thunder!", Brian starts to sing. He can still sing, even though he's about 46 on this album. Not as good singing as in his early days with the band, but still good. After Thunderstruck, Back in Black's "Shoot To Thrill" comes, and this is a very good song as well. The guitar, of course, is excellent, and the vocals are good. This is a very catchy song, and it's about their former singer Bon Scott's lifestyle. Next, they play the song "Back In Black", and it needs not for me to desbribe it, as you probably have heard it since it's on GAP commercials and such. "Sin City" is the first Bon song on the album, from the 1978 release Powerage. It's one of the more famous songs off of Powerage, and it's a very catchy song about gambling and stuff like that I guess. Next comes the title track from the 1986 Maximum Overdrive Stephen King soundtrack album Who Made Who. A great and catchy song, with stupid lyrics, like I said before in my Who Made Who review, but it's still a great song with some finger-tapping riffs here and there similar to Thunderstruck. "Heatseeker" and "Fire Your Guns" are next, and those are half-decent songs, but probably the worst on this disc. Fire Your Guns is pretty good though. "Jailbreak", a Bon song is next, and this is 14 minutes of pure hard rock and roll. It's excellent. Some parts are dragged out and boring, but most of it is Angus going insane with his guitar, and soloing like Eddie Van Halen high on speed. "The Jack" from High Voltage is next, and this is a very famous and bluesy song with some great stuff in it. The title track from The Razors Edge is next, and it's a pretty decent and solid rock song. "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" is next, and it's an excellent Bon song. I mean, insanely good. It's still pretty great when Brian does it live. Very catchy, and the guitar is awesome, and the chorus is memorable. Everyone's heard it before. The final track on disc one is the catchy song "Money Talks" from The Razor's Edge. Catchy song, but Brian's annoying vocals pretty much ruin it. The chorus is still good.

Overall, disc one is excellent. But not as great as disc two.

Disc Two

"Hells Bells" from Back In Black starts off this disc, and there is so much energy being produced by the crowd and the band. This is an excellent song, with superb guitar, and of course, it's catchy. "Are You Ready" and "That's The Way I Wanna Rock n Roll" are both pretty good songs, but they're the "Heatseeker" and "Fire Your Guns" of the bunch. The energetic "High Voltage" is next, and it was a Bon song. This is a great song, with a lot of energy. The guitar is catchy and fun, and so is everything else about the song. "You Shook Me All Night Long" is another great and fun track. This is THE AC/DC song. If you no any AC/DC song, it's probably this, Back In Black, or T.N.T. The guitar solo is excellent too. "Whole Lotta Rosie" is another great song, and it's a catchy Bon song with great riffs by Angus. It's about a fat girl or something like that. "Let There Be Rock" comes next and it's an excellent song as well. The drumming is actually pretty good and pretty noticable. Bon would have sounded better on that song though. The guitar is off the wall and all over the place. Angus solos for like, five minutes or more. Just like in disc one's "Jailbreak". "Bonny" is ok, but you know, it's probably the least memorable song on the disc. Next comes the excellent song, "Highway To Hell". This is probably the best song on the disc. It's catchy, and the lyrics are fun, and the guitar is...you know what I'll say already. This is an excellent song, and when this song is played, the crowd goes insane. "T.N.T." is next, and I don't need to tell you how good this is. Once again, the crowd goes crazy. But the crowd has the biggest reaction with "For Those About To Rock", an excellent track, especially when it's live. There are tons of cannons going off in the arena, and the outro alone is about five minutes. The guitar solo is just Angus having fun again with his instrument. And that's the best possible way for this disc to end. Great disc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you go. One of the best live albums ever. It's just good fun and hard rock. Who cares if it's dominated by guitars and such? I don't. This is a great album, and I suggest buying it if you are one of the five or six AC/DC fans on this website. It's pretty cheap considering it's two and a half hours long. It's cheaper than The White Album, for God's sake! So if you want to kick back and jam out to this great live album, just shuffle out fifteen measly dollars to one of the dorky looking Wal-Mart employees at the store, go home, put it in your CD player, and turn the volume up to 10.

SONICTHEPLUMBER RECOMMENDS THIS FOR PURCHASE

Sieges Even Life CycleKorpiklaani Ukon Wacka
Thergothon Stream From The HeavensThe Obsessed Lunar Womb
Saint Vitus Mournful CriesKate Bush The Kick Inside
Rudd13 (5)

April 19th 2007

I think your summary is unnecessary and isn't really a summary at all. And your statement at the start about who likes them, well they are popular in many countries other than the USA and Australia.

April 19th 2007

Haha no not that I didn't like it, I just thought a couple of things didn't seem right - see now your summary is fine!

Good job.

April 19th 2007

[quote="sonictheplumber"]AC/DC is one of those bands that you either love or hate, or just kind of think they're ok. Mostly people in the South, people who don't listen to progrock, and people in Australia listen to them.[/quote]

That was probably the dumbest intro I've ever seen.

April 19th 2007

Hahaha you said it man. It is kind of like saying, "you either have size 4 shoes or size 15 shoes, or some size in between" hahaha.

wakeupdead
April 19th 2007

hey pretty good review, but you could have put more detail into your descriptions. Take this for example:

If I have never heard those songs I wouldnt have any idea what they would sound like.

wakeupdead
April 19th 2007

lol never mind this post. But since this was an ok review, but wasnt exactly great either I shant vote. :thumb:This Message Edited On 04.19.07

Otisbum

1912 Comments

Decent review. This CD is pretty awesome, one of the few 2-discers that I like all of.

Two-Headed Boy

...?

Oblivioncry
April 19th 2007

These 2 CD brought me into the World of ACDC and Rock, its kinda Best of and Great Live Album at once.

your review is at some points pretty weird, like:

April 20th 2007

Why do people neg things just because of the introduction?

People can read 50 reviews and vote randomly on 7 of them. People don't always pos vote when they read a good review, and people don't always neg vote when they read a bad review.

Bron-Yr-Aur
April 20th 2007

Unfortunately this is a bad review. It's like you didn't even try.

ALSO

[quote=you] I knew no one would like this review...[/quote]

[quote=you, two posts later]WOOHOO BETTER TO SAY LEAST MAN YEAH[/quote]

wtf man

This Message Edited On 04.20.07

Bron-Yr-Aur
April 20th 2007

Don't frown about it man just stfu and try harder next time.

April 20th 2007

Maybe you should stop being a moron.

hard_rocker89
April 20th 2007

lol wow. Anyway, w/e about the review, the CD is ok. IMO If You Want Blood Live is way better.

April 21st 2007

You are absolutley correct. I'm not a contributing member of this site because I like South Park and write Track by Tracks. Yes, you made me a real member of this site. It was you who registered me and logs me in everytime I come here. I'm sorry for upsetting you O wise master.

muchtallerthanu
April 21st 2007

Okay review. For an opening sentence, I would've put AC/DC is one of the bands that's adored by few, but hated by many or something like that. You were accurate about this being one of the best live albums ever.

My shoe size is 8 or 9....ish.

EDIT: Size 10. Tops.This Message Edited On 04.22.07

muchtallerthanu
April 22nd 2007

Oh, I should also mention:

I hate to say it, but that wasn't very concise. Mainly because not a lot of people know what those songs are. And if they did, they still would've found it confusing.
Sorry

EDIT: And now I just realized that wakeupdead already brought this up!This Message Edited On 04.22.07

March 5th 2012