Soundtrack (Video Game)

good

by Channing Freeman STAFF
April 15th, 2007 | 74 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

The Gods of Olympus have abandoned me…now there is no hope.

You are Kratos, a Spartan captain. In a battle against a barbarian army that far outnumbers your own, you realize that you are about to meet your end. In desperation, you call out to Ares, the God of War. He saves your life, but only under one condition: you must serve him for the rest of your days. Indeed, it seems but a small price to pay. He gives you the Blades of Chaos, two massive blades that are chained and seared to your wrists, never to be removed. From that point on, you become a monster, killing and murdering in the name of your master Ares…until one day. Drunken with bloodlust, your ambition driving you on, you fall right into Ares’ trap, murdering your wife and child. A cruel trick orchestrated by Ares, all for the intent of making you into the perfect warrior with nothing to hold you back. It is then that you realize that you can no longer serve this insane War God…

The God of War series is easily my favorite video game series ever. It takes the mythos, people, and places of Greek mythology and creates something entirely new and different. They have a tremendous, well thought out storyline, amazing visuals, and to appease those who are hungry for violence, they’re incredibly brutal and bloody. In short, the games will please just about anyone. On top of all that, I was also incredibly impressed by the game music: original orchestral compositions that do a wonderful job of setting the mood and tone for the games. The first game’s soundtrack is decidedly less spectacular than that of the sequel, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t impressive. It’s got orchestration, chanting choir vocals, and works incredibly well when you’re playing the game; however, it has no lasting power as a standalone soundtrack. In other words, it suffers the same fate that the majority of soundtracks do.

The album opens with a quote from the game; specifically, the one I used at the beginning of this review. This is a common theme found throughout the soundtrack; many key interactions from the game are placed onto the soundtrack. Although it has a nice effect the first few times you listen, they soon become tiresome and pointless. Additionally, I feel that they used too many quotes. At times some of them feel forced, as if they felt obligated to put every key point of the storyline into the soundtrack. Still, the series has some of the most badass quotes around, and I do feel that they were a nice touch; it just could have been executed better.

Musically, the developing team did not shirk their duties at all. It’s apparent that they put everything they had into this soundtrack and tried to make it as unique and fitting as possible. The sounds and instrumentation are diverse, each setting in the game having a different theme. The Aegean Sea track “Kratos and the Sea” is frantic and unpredictable, much like the waters of the Sea itself. “The Splendor of Athens” and “Athenian Battle” make great use of woodwinds and Eastern-style percussion, but despite having the most interesting instrumentation, they end up being two of the most boring tracks because of their lack of variation in sound. “Kratos’ Evil Past” has a “Gladiator” feel to it due to the single female voice in the beginning. It soon become frantic and uncertain, only to calm down again at the end. “The Great Sword Bridge of Athena” is one of the best tracks. It features a prominent horn and string section as well as beautiful female choir vocals (I really am a sucker for those). “Battle the Lethal Sirens” brings back the Eastern feel of the Athens tracks but without the boring nature, making for a compelling and interesting listen. The drumming sounds almost tribal. “Zeus’ Wrath Divine” is the vocal standout. The vocals, trumpets, and strings all contain the same melody, a motif that is repeated throughout both games. It’s a controlled chaos, relying on epic buildups and climaxes. “Minotaur Boss Battle” also contains great vocal work, sounding at times like the Underworld itself chanting in unison.

Most of the tracks I didn’t mention are either too uninteresting to talk about or they have the same characteristics as the ones I talked about. Because of this, the God of War soundtrack is definitely a mixed bag. It contains some fantastic and compelling moments, but for every two great tracks you get a bad one. As I said, it all works well in the game, but as a standalone soundtrack it contains barely any replay value. Still I do recommend checking the soundtrack out, as it does make you more aware of the music when you’re playing the game. Overall, it’s a soundtrack that doesn’t live up to how great the game is, but then again, how could it? After all, God of War is the greatest video game series ever.

The monster you created has returned…to kill you.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsThe Menzingers Rented World
La Dispute Rooms of the HouseMiley Cyrus Bangerz
Letlive. The Blackest BeautifulKanye West Yeezus

April 15th 2007

channing this review is so cliche for christs sake everyone puts quotes in there and god dammit what is with the storyline summary as an intro thats just dumb

btw picture upload isnt working so blegh

review of second game soundtrack coming laterThis Message Edited On 04.15.07

April 15th 2007

Soundtrack was awesome in the game, but I've heard the GoW2 soundtrack faults were also just as you described for the first games score.

Doesn't matter; Kratos f*cking beats the sh*t out of everything and everyone.

IF ALL ON OLYMPUS SHALL DENY ME MY VENGEANCE, THAN ALL ON OLYMPUS MUST DIE

EDIT: Haven't played the game in weeks cause my friend took it This Message Edited On 04.15.07

April 15th 2007

the second game's soundtrack is so much better. they ditched the quotes and took everything to the next level.

GleamInRanks

I really need to play God of War

Doppelganger

SPARTAAAAAAAAAA

April 15th 2007

GoW is my fav series as well. i just beat the second one, so now i got to take it on through Titan mode. this game kicks soo much ass. now i have a reason to get the ps3 so i can play the third GoW when it comes out

April 15th 2007

Hey Chan, I take it you finally got GoW2?

April 15th 2007

yea i beat it on the regular settings

in titan mode i'm up to Theseus but that motherfucker keeps fucking killing me ughThis Message Edited On 04.15.07

April 15th 2007

Titan Mode is f*cking insane yo. Tbh, I think it takes away much of the games fun, since instead of just going off on crazy-a*s combos, you throw your blades around for a quick combo, and then just pray that you can hit the block button quick enough. To me, God of War is all about balls-out offense. It's still a nice challenge, though.

April 15th 2007

thats true, but knowing that youre the ultimate God of War, its a cool feeling (nerdy chuckle). i still need to play the deleted levels that are on the bonus disc. are they any good? was it me or was Zeus kinda easy even on normal mode?

April 15th 2007

yeah i agree with that. it's still fun though but i get so frustrated omggg. it took me like 10 tries just to climb out of hades

and you cant play the deleted levels, they just show you them.

and yeah zeus is a pretty easy boss tbhThis Message Edited On 04.15.07

April 15th 2007

Yea, Zeus wasn't hard, it was just awesome to kick his pussy a*s.

there is no post here!This Message Edited On 04.15.07

DUDE CHAN SPOILERS FOR OTHER PEOPLE DELETE DELETE DELETE

omg youre right edited

April 15th 2007

She was a nappy headed hoe anyway tbh

April 15th 2007

really? damn i thought they were playable. o well, theres the Challenges still that sound like fun.

SynGates
April 15th 2007

Good review, didnt like the game much at all.

but whyyyyy

antihippy
April 15th 2007

i really ned to try to play more games.

not really.