Korpiklaani
Spirit Of The Forest

by King3567 USER (1 Reviews)
April 8th, 2007 | 12 replies | 7,288 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If you are a fan of folk, this will not dissapoint.

When you hear of the genre Folk, you think Falkenbach, Moonsorrow, and or Ensiferum. Now for everyone who likes these bands here is one more you should add to your list Korpklaani and this album is the reason why.

Korpiklaani manages to nail the signature folk sound with complex compostion effortlessly befriended by simple song formats. This band has musicianshop lightyears beyond fellow bands with accurate, innovative proggressions and a unique feel to just about every song.

I could go on and on about what makes Korpiklaani the breathe of fresh air the genre so desperately needed, but there is an album to be reviewed and here is the breakdown.

The album starts off with a haunting violin that will tingle even the hardest of spines. After the violin foreshadows what is to come, the thundering drums co-operating with the chugging guitars come in. The singer effortlessly joins them sing of men living underground, typical folky stuff. This repeats twice before the real payoff appears, the epic, and I mean epic violin solo. This solo is what makes this song an endless anthem to all folk metal heads. Too soon is this song over, but we must look at the other pieces too to see why this puzzle is so great.

Before the Morning Sun is a chilling acoustic instrumental that will take you through 4:17 of wonder and amazement. This song is my personal favorite and belongs in the best songs of all time department in my book.

God of Wind is third with an upbeat rythm and tells the story of the of a man up against the God of Wind after killing one of his worshippers. I know it sounds dark, but the song is fun and funny in an ironic sort of way. I leave it to you to find out the end of this story. The musicians are at their best here, commanding you to harken to what they have to say next.

With Trees is a nice little breather that brings together violin and acoustic guitar so naturally, its as if the musicians are telepathically linked. The lyrics are about a sad man drinking himself to sleep after the death of his daughter.

Pellonpekko steps up to the plate now. This song is upbeat and fun. The lyrics are about attending an ancient Sweedish festival from the middle ages.

You Looked Into My Eyes is a fun song. The musicians effortlessly craft a catchy melody and overlap it with lyrics of a man pursuing the love of his life. The guitar solo is absolutely genious and the expert bass-manship is astounding.

While there are ten other, great, mesmerizing tracks to this absolutely epic cd, I feel these first couple of songs really pull out the feel of the album. If you are a fan of folk, this will not dissapoint.

It is best you be familiar with Korpiklaani, for they will be around for many years to come if Spirit of the Forest is any indication of their work.

Ukon Wacka

King3567
April 8th 2007

Yay, first review. Tell my what you think, I tried to show the true side of korpiklaani

Baldrick
September 6th 2007

Not the best folk metal album ever, but nice enough. "Wooden Pints" is an awesome song.

RussianSage777
September 15th 2007

My first folk metal album ever. I remember listening to it the first time and knew that it kicked ass. The song With Trees is the one that truly impressed me the most and also caused me to love thrash metal again.

blackmilk
September 15th 2007

I do? Awesome!

Fosster3567
December 12th 2007

omgz, diz guy es liekz tottly rite! Korirprplaiknsaii as teh bste kfol bnad evar!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111!!!!!!!!!one!!!!!!!!!11!

Poet
January 7th 2008

Wooden Pints is freakin awesome.

January 21st 2009

I just found out some of the new tarcks from the upcoming Korpiklaani album will be in a new Bam Margera movie. That's pretty cool.

Poet
January 21st 2009

lol that sucks for Korpiklaani. Any credibility they had is going to be shot now.

January 21st 2009

I don't know, I kind of like Bam Margera. That Unholy Union show was tight.

Odal
March 4th 2009

I love how nobody said anything about how off this review is

Essence
March 6th 2009

because if you see
Korplikaani
then

you just ignore it and pretend you didn't see it

NeoSpaz