Insomnium
Since the Day It All Came Down

by Thomas Michael Morris USER (36 Reviews)
April 7th, 2007 | 10 replies | 2,080 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With classics like In Flames going sour, it’ was quite a refreshing moment as i stumbled upon Insomnium.

Just as the two previous reviewers of this album have said, the majority of the melodic death genre has been dying. With classics like In Flames going sour, it’ was quite a refreshing moment as i stumbled upon Insomnium. The first album I bought of theirs was Above The Weeping World. Mortal Share was my introduction to the band.

The rest of the album went by, and was also consistently awesome. By the end of the album, I knew i had found an amazing band, and they quickly grew to become one of my favorites

Hungry for more, i downloaded Since the Day It All Came Down off itunes, and to be quite honest, I didn’t really like it all that much on my first few listens.

This album is quite different than Above the Weeping World, it focuses more on melodies and acoustic passages, while ATWW was still very melodic, it introduced a heavier, almost thrashier sound. The only track that stood out to me was the title track, (well, it’s not exactly the title track, but it sort of is) and what a beautifully melodic track it is.

The somber intro track, [/b]Nocturne,[/b] fades into [/b]The Day it All Came Down[/b] fantastically. The piano resounds, and a crushing melodic riff comes in with toms playing an almost tribal beat in the background. A drum roll then thrusts the listener in an assault of double bass and fast riffing. The whole track is five minutes of pure aggression and melody, with an acoustic break about midway through. This is the best song on here, at first I thought by far, but as I listened to the album more, it became rivaled by some others.

Daughter of the Moon is the third track on the album, and the song that rivaled the previous track the most. It opens with an acoustic lick, which is then mimicked by distortion guitar, and becomes the intro riff. This song is a good deal slower than the last track, but every ounce as interesting. The verses include some very harsh vocal work and guitars. The next section is perhaps the catchiest on the whole cd, and i didn’t think I’d love the part so much at first. A soft acoustic part is played and Nillo Servanen whispers as an occasional distorted guitar noise is hammered. However, the way that this transitions to the chorus is what plays in my head consistently. After the whispers, the listener is immediately punched in the face with a very melodic, orgasmic riff and more harsh vocals. At around 3:40, the song changes to a much slower pace (and the song was slow already) and features many acoustic passages, before some more harsh vocals, and a beautiful solo to the end.

Those two tracks are my two favorites by far, but each other track is excellent as well.

The Moment of Reckoning starts very heavy, but in fact turns into a song half built of acoustic passages. Instead of whispering, Nillo actually talk-sings a whole lot during the beautiful acoustic passages. The heavy parts are slow and brooding, with ferocious vocals. Bereavement is one of the faster songs on the cd. It starts with a lone piano part which is followed by a ghastly growl and a very melodic lead, just as the title track. The whole song is very high energy, and one of the better head banging song featured here.

Under the Plaintive Skies consists of mainly distorted and acoustic guitars played over each other, for a very interesting effect. This is one of the more mid tempo songs featured, and i first found it to be very, well... plain. (yes, pun) Though there’s nothing that really stands out here, it’s a very solid song, that grows on me with every listen.

At the midway point of the record, we reach Resonance. I never thought i’d enjoy an all clean/acoustic interlude this much. All 2 and a half minutes of the song is pure emotion, and incredibly melancholic. I honestly think this instrumental is better than any instrumental Opeth has done, that’s really saying something.

The peaceful instrumental then fades seamlessly into possibly the heaviest track here. Death Walked the Earth has a crushing riff that proves to be extremely catchy, try not to break your neck head banging here, as this riff is SICK. Unfortunately, the rest of the song isn’t quite as interesting as that one riff, it’s featured of some less interesting acoustic passages and heavier ones. Still a great song, but one of the weaker tracks. Disengagement is up next, and it’s the longest track here, at 8:39. The track features about an equal dose of heavy and clean passages. I find this song to be a little boring at some parts, but it’s very melodic, and very emotional, especially the last minute.

Closing Words is maybe the fastest song here, and is similar to Bereavement. However, unlike that track, I find this song to be pretty uninteresting. The song does feature the best solo on the cd though, which rages forth and ends the song.

And then we reach the epic and emotional closer, Song of the Forlorn Son. The song is the slowest track here, and actually sounds very doomy at some parts. Most of the song doesn’t change too much, but it really doesn’t need to, s it stays interesting enough, and it’;s emotional enough to keep the listener hooked. here are many symphonic touches to the piece as well, adding an even more epic feel to it. An incredible closer to an incredible album.

With many melodic death bands losing their excellence, it’s very nice to know that Insomnium is able to perform some infectiously melodic heavy and acoustic passages. This album, as well as the follow up to this album are both dire records to any melodic-death metal fan.

Top five tracks

Progenie Terrestre Pura U.M.A.Amon Amarth Deceiver of the Gods
Polkadot Cadaver Last Call in JonestownEnsemble Pearl Ensemble Pearl
Dr. Quandary WayfarersThank You Scientist Maps of Non-Existent Places
myhigherpie (4.5)
one of the finest albums melodic death metal has to offer...

Bob (5)
This is not a metal album with melodies all over it. This is a melodic album with a metal sound unde...

circleofdeadchildren (4.5)

April 7th 2007

Why the hell did this make a new album for it? I chose the band from the drop
down....

???? Can someody put it where the old album is?This Message Edited On 04.07.07

Digging: Anekdoten - Vemod

TheHamburgerman
April 8th 2007

I also had that problem when I submitted my StDiACD review.
Decent review

April 8th 2007

What you want to do is go to this link and then report your problem. Give them the link to this page so they know where to go.
http://sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515682This Message Edited On 04.08.07

thnx syn

April 9th 2007

hey hamburgerman, how long did it take for the mods to fix your review when it was reported? cause i reported this yesterday and nothing yet, i gace a link as well.

Hey, it's fixed now =D

April 9th 2007

Haha I told you thats what you were supposed to do. Those mods are quick to react.
I love this album, especially The Day It All Came Down and Daughter of the Moon.

April 9th 2007

So is Daughter of the Moon, I cant get enough of the chorus.

btw bodominflames, i see you still dont have your wanted avatar, but basically you click your name, and under your profile picture click on "Edit My Info" and then in that page on the left you will see "Upload Avatar" and then you know what to do from there.

April 10th 2007

Im surprised i never could figure it out..

thnx then syn =D

:edit: got one up now (about time)This Message Edited On 04.10.07

July 31st 2009

These old reviews are embarrassing.